JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   If I Wanted to Live in Japan-Advice Please? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/31715-if-i-wanted-live-japan-advice-please.html)

CoreyLynn 04-28-2010 12:26 AM

If I Wanted to Live in Japan-Advice Please?

First off, I want to say that I'm sorry that this post must seem really repetitive and frustrating.

<: )

The idea of living in Japan is really appealing to me.
Haha, but, I do realize that I may not find a life there for myself appealing once seeing and living it, so I plan on taking a trip there in a year or two to see if it's something I love.

So, this post is to help me to decide if this is a path I want to pursue.

I've done just a little research and plan to do a whole lot more on it, but so far it's apparent that I need to get a college degree to make things just a bit easier, and a TEFL Certificate if I plan on teaching English as a second language.

My first questions are: How would I go about getting a TEFL Certificate? How old do I need to be to take the course? How long is the course? And, what does this course consist of?

I mean, I'd also really appreciate it if you maybe had a link for steps I'd need to take to really commit to that goal, or if you knew the steps from experience and/or knowledge.

Secondly, what are the real requirements for being a teacher abroad?

Currently, I'm a junior in high school, so are there steps I can take now to prepare myself for this option, if I choose it?

What are your recommendations and experiences for/from living in Japan.

How can I make it happen?

If you do or have lived in Japan why do you like it? Why didn't you like it? And what should I expect my life to be like if I were to actually LIVE there?

Lastly, if there are any tips on how I could my life a bit more easier for this transition, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks so very much for your time!
: )

(Sorry for bombarding you with all of these questions, haha)

KungMartin 04-28-2010 12:36 AM

If I were you I would just try getting a scholarship if you wanna go to Japan..

RickOShay 04-28-2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyLynn (Post 810084)
First off, I want to say that I'm sorry that this post must seem really repetitive and frustrating.

The idea of living in Japan is really appealing to me.
Haha, but, I do realize that I may not find a life there for myself appealing once seeing and living it, so I plan on taking a trip there in a year or two to see if it's something I love.

So, this post is to help me to decide if this is a path I want to pursue.

I've done just a little research and plan to do a whole lot more on it, but so far it's apparent that I need to get a college degree to make things just a bit easier, and a TEFL Certificate if I plan on teaching English as a second language.

My first questions are: How would I go about getting a TEFL Certificate? How old do I need to be to take the course? How long is the course? And, what does this course consist of?

I mean, I'd also really appreciate it if you maybe had a link for steps I'd need to take to really commit to that goal, or if you knew the steps from experience and/or knowledge.

Secondly, what are the real requirements for being a teacher abroad?

Currently, I'm a junior in high school, so are there steps I can take now to prepare myself for this option, if I choose it?

How can I make it happen?

If you do or have lived in Japan why do you like it? Why didn't you like it? And what should I expect my life to be like if I were to actually LIVE there?

Lastly, if there are any tips on how I could my life a bit more easier for this transition, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks so very much for your time!

(Sorry for bombarding you with all of these questions, haha)

First for info on the TEFL certificate, just google it. You should be able to find out on your own all that you need to know to get you on your way.

I have been in Japan for quite a while, and honestly your experience will be what you make of it. Your attitude, temperament, level of open-mindedness, and ability to look at things from other people's point of view will all play a key role in your level of happiness you attain here. I know this is a vague answer but your questions are a bit too broad. If you would like to know something specific about living in Japan please ask it.

diamond1 04-28-2010 02:04 AM

It was said that living standard and cost are so high, I also think that I will live in Japan when I gain a scholarship

CoreyLynn 04-28-2010 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KungMartin (Post 810087)
If I were you I would just try getting a scholarship if you wanna go to Japan..

Thanks for your input.

CoreyLynn 04-28-2010 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickOShay (Post 810090)
First for info on the TEFL certificate, just google it. You should be able to find out on your own all that you need to know to get you on your way.

I have been in Japan for quite a while, and honestly your experience will be what you make of it. Your attitude, temperament, level of open-mindedness, and ability to look at things from other people's point of view will all play a key role in your level of happiness you attain here. I know this is a vague answer but your questions are a bit too broad. If you would like to know something specific about living in Japan please ask it.

Oh okay, sorry for the obvious-google-it-questions.

But really, thanks.
I was really glad that you put in that a person's attitude about a situation really helps.
I've read a lot of posts and such and hardly anyone mentioned that it's a person's willingness and state of mind about the situation that can make the difference.
So, thank you for that.
I mean, I realize that it takes a bit more than just a happy outlook to make it in a different country, but it's still nice to keep in mind.

Also, I apologize for being so broad with my questions.

So questions I have about living in Japan are, that under a basic salary, are apartments/living conditions financially reasonable?

And, if you don't mind me asking, what do you, personally, do as a profession overseas?
How did you prepare your own life for such a transition?
And did you run into any "bumps" along the way?

How much do you recommend I put away before I try and make a "move" to Japan, even if I get a job lined up before I transition?
I'd like to have some sort of something to fall back on.

I'm sorry if you can't help me with these questions, but I appreciate your post nonetheless!

CoreyLynn 04-28-2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamond1 (Post 810098)
It was said that living standard and cost are so high, I also think that I will live in Japan when I gain a scholarship

Oh, you've heard that they're really expensive?
That's a bit of a shame, I hope that you're
able to gain a scholarship.
And I hope, that if I choose to do this, that we'll
both be able to work it out.

RickOShay 04-28-2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyLynn (Post 810100)
Oh okay, sorry for the obvious-google-it-questions.

But really, thanks.
I was really glad that you put in that a person's attitude about a situation really helps.
I've read a lot of posts and such and hardly anyone mentioned that it's a person's willingness and state of mind about the situation that can make the difference.
So, thank you for that.
I mean, I realize that it takes a bit more than just a happy outlook to make it in a different country, but it's still nice to keep in mind.

Also, I apologize for being so broad with my questions.

So questions I have about living in Japan are, that under a basic salary, are apartments/living conditions financially reasonable?

And, if you don't mind me asking, what do you, personally, do as a profession overseas?
How did you prepare your own life for such a transition?
And did you run into any "bumps" along the way?

How much do you recommend I put away before I try and make a "move" to Japan, even if I get a job lined up before I transition?
I'd like to have some sort of something to fall back on.

I'm sorry if you can't help me with these questions, but I appreciate your post nonetheless!

Ok, well you said you are a junior in high school right? So you are looking at 5-6 years before you will be able to make a move here. So it is hard to project exactly what your cost of living etc will be, but generally it depends upon where you end up. You will most certainly find it is easier to save money working in smaller cities. If you were to apply for the JET program, you will most likely be placed in a smaller city, and you may get the added benefit of subsidized house/dirt cheap rent. I have been working here for 5 years and my saving account has increased A LOT. So while you will hear that Japan is expensive etc, it is possible to live here and save a ton of money, but this of course will take discipline on your part. If you let it, Japan can and will vacuum your money away real quick.

So in short, at this time, under a typical English teacher's salary you should be able to pay the bills, and save a little extra, how much you save depends on you and where you end up living mostly.

I currently work at an education center, my job is basically to help train Japanese teachers of English at middle schools and high schools, and more recently to help elementary school teacher who now have to teach foreign language activities which they were not previously trained to do. I also do visits to elementary schools, and translate various documents. I got this job basically through the JET program.

For me, it was not that much of a transition since I had lived in Japan before on scholarship as an exchange student for one year. When I came as a student. .well, I did not formally prepare myself, but I had lots of Japanese friends back home that I had been learning about Japan from, and I had been studying Japanese as an elective course at my uni.

Umm I did not have too many bumps at first because I had a "tutor" to help me out getting my life started here as a student, I also lived in a dormitory with many other international students who had been there for a while who also helped me out. So other than the natural learning curve (for the language, customs, lifestyle and culture) there where not too many "bumps" that stick out in my mind.

If you get yourself a job first (and not including a plane ticket if you have to buy one) I would say you should set aside at least $3000-5000 USD to potentially cover costs for getting yourself into an apartment and getting set up. I doubt you will be using all of it, but that is how much I would prepare, just to be completely safe.

CoreyLynn 04-28-2010 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickOShay (Post 810107)
Ok, well you said you are a junior in high school right? So you are looking at 5-6 years before you will be able to make a move here. So it is hard to project exactly what your cost of living etc will be, but generally it depends upon where you end up. You will most certainly find it is easier to save money working in smaller cities. If you were to apply for the JET program, you will most likely be placed in a smaller city, and you may get the added benefit of subsidized house/dirt cheap rent. I have been working here for 5 years and my saving account has increased A LOT. So while you will hear that Japan is expensive etc, it is possible to live here and save a ton of money, but this of course will take discipline on your part. If you let it, Japan can and will vacuum your money away real quick.

So in short, at this time, under a typical English teacher's salary you should be able to pay the bills, and save a little extra, how much you save depends on you and where you end up living mostly.

I currently work at an education center, my job is basically to help train Japanese teachers of English at middle schools and high schools, and more recently to help elementary school teacher who now have to teach foreign language activities which they were not previously trained to do. I also do visits to elementary schools, and translate various documents. I got this job basically through the JET program.

For me, it was not that much of a transition since I had lived in Japan before on scholarship as an exchange student for one year. When I came as a student. .well, I did not formally prepare myself, but I had lots of Japanese friends back home that I had been learning about Japan from, and I had been studying Japanese as an elective course at my uni.

Umm I did not have too many bumps at first because I had a "tutor" to help me out getting my life started here as a student, I also lived in a dormitory with many other international students who had been there for a while who also helped me out. So other than the natural learning curve (for the language, customs, lifestyle and culture) there where not too many "bumps" that stick out in my mind.

If you get yourself a job first (and not including a plane ticket if you have to buy one) I would say you should set aside at least $3000-5000 USD to potentially cover costs for getting yourself into an apartment and getting set up. I doubt you will be using all of it, but that is how much I would prepare, just to be completely safe.

Thank you so, so much.
I really can't tell you how much you're post helps.

sarasi 04-28-2010 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyLynn (Post 810084)
Fir

No doubt your research has told you that the college degree doesn't just make things a bit easier, it is what actually makes it possible- no working visa without a degree (unless you have many years' work experience).

CoreyLynn 04-28-2010 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarasi (Post 810127)
No doubt your research has told you that the college degree doesn't just make things a bit easier, it is what actually makes it possible- no working visa without a degree (unless you have many years' work experience).

Like I've mentioned, I've only done a small amount of research. So I didn't realize that a college degree was what made it possible.
So, thank you very much for stating that!
: D

This whole "living in Japan" concept contains lot of steps I'm unfamiliar with, with me being so young and inexperienced.

So, again, wow, thank you.
I really appreciate it.

I do have a question about visa's though.
Again, this is one of the many things that I'm very unfamiliar with.
I understand that they have expiration dates, but how is the duration determined?
And when that deadline approaches, do you just renew it?

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, but it's true, with this subject I'm just starting to learn about the requirements and processes that goes into it.

I appreciate any response that you can give me.

sarasi 04-28-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyLynn (Post 810128)
I do have a question about visa's though.
Again, this is one of the many things that I'm very unfamiliar with.
I understand that they have expiration dates, but how is the duration determined?
And when that deadline approaches, do you just renew it?

Japan Immigration determines the duration of visas, using criteria that they do not make public. Working visas and spouse visas for example come in one-year and three-year versions. Some people get a three-year visa when they first arrive in Japan, others have to renew several times before they finally get a three-year visa. You can renew these visas indefinitely provided you still fulfill the requirements i.e. still have a job/are still married to a Japanese national.

Student visas are a bit simpler- your visa is valid for as long as your course runs- usually 6 months or one year.

CoreyLynn 04-28-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarasi (Post 810153)
Japan Immigration determines the duration of visas, using criteria that they do not make public. Working visas and spouse visas for example come in one-year and three-year versions. Some people get a three-year visa when they first arrive in Japan, others have to renew several times before they finally get a three-year visa. You can renew these visas indefinitely provided you still fulfill the requirements i.e. still have a job/are still married to a Japanese national.

Student visas are a bit simpler- your visa is valid for as long as your course runs- usually 6 months or one year.

Okay, thank you!
I appreciate it.

Sangetsu 04-29-2010 01:23 AM

You need only a 4 year college degree. A TEFL certificate is nice, but it's superfluous as most schools follow a set-in-stone curriculum using their own texts and methods. The only certificate really worth having is a CELTA, it will open a few doors in Japan, and also qualify you to teach in English-speaking countries.

If you really want to get a good teaching job, get a degree in education or English. If you want a decent-paying job, work toward a masters degree, this will qualify you for university teaching positions which pay double or more what the usual teaching positions in Japan pay.

Thuglife 04-29-2010 02:59 PM

What is the most important thing??
Teaching English or traveling?

I have seen the effects of uninspiring ALT's who were way over their heads and made English less than fun for everyone around them. Then they leave. Rinse and repeat. Truth be told, some of the "local" foreigners can't teach worth a shit either but the ALT's are almost exclusively shitty.

I hope my posts will save just one whale...er...I mean one child's mind:rolleyes:

CoreyLynn 04-29-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sangetsu (Post 810204)
You need only a 4 year college degree. A TEFL certificate is nice, but it's superfluous as most schools follow a set-in-stone curriculum using their own texts and methods. The only certificate really worth having is a CELTA, it will open a few doors in Japan, and also qualify you to teach in English-speaking countries.

If you really want to get a good teaching job, get a degree in education or English. If you want a decent-paying job, work toward a masters degree, this will qualify you for university teaching positions which pay double or more what the usual teaching positions in Japan pay.

Okay, thanks so much for the tip.
I've never heard of a CELTA, so I'll have to look it up some more.
Again, thank you.
^^

CoreyLynn 04-29-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thuglife (Post 810277)

What is the most important thing??
Teaching English or traveling?

I have seen the effects of uninspiring ALT's who were way over their heads and made English less than fun for everyone around them. Then they leave. Rinse and repeat. Truth be told, some of the "local" foreigners can't teach worth a shit either but the ALT's are almost exclusively shitty.

I hope my posts will save just one whale...er...I mean one child's mind:rolleyes:

I think you have a really negative outlook toward this, with good reason, I'm sure.
Just know, that if this was something I decided on, it would be a commitment and I'd want to make it the best situation that I could possibly make for everyone.

I don't want to be a bitter, I-hate-my-job-and-I'm -only-here-for-the-travel, type of person.

Learning a new language is supposed to be a fun and exciting experience that will open up doors for everyone INCLUDING me, if I do decide on this.

All I can think of is my French teacher from last year, who ALWAYS came into class smiling and laughing-loving her job!
She made learning French such a fun and exciting experience. She made that class feel like a family and brought everyone together.

I hope to be able to do that, no matter what I choose to do in life.
Your career and future options need to be for something that will bring you joy.

And I'm still in high school, so I have years before I can even consider making a move there! I can take classes to prepare myself-I can learn all I can NOW to better my chances of making myself and others happier if I go there.

Maybe I sound naive, but oh well.
That's my outlook as of now, and I will commit to anything I decide to do.

But, thank you for your opinion and input.

manganimefan227 04-30-2010 12:57 AM

Don't forget to study both languages and be fluent in both. Again, have much paitence with getting used to the culture. Although, try not to think of the culture as an obstacle, it's a lot harder to appreciate it if you do. Always do your best to be optimistic aboutit. There's no doubt you'll have some sort of challenge, everyone does, no matter how prepared you come. Just be open and optimistic, and you'll make it :D :vsign:

CoreyLynn 04-30-2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manganimefan227 (Post 810314)
Don't forget to study both languages and be fluent in both. Again, have much paitence with getting used to the culture. Although, try not to think of the culture as an obstacle, it's a lot harder to appreciate it if you do. Always do your best to be optimistic aboutit. There's no doubt you'll have some sort of challenge, everyone does, no matter how prepared you come. Just be open and optimistic, and you'll make it :D :vsign:

Thank you!
Yeah, luckily, I've already been planning to take Japanese language classes starting this summer or by this fall.
Because even if I don't pursue this route, Japan is definitely somewhere I'd like to go for a visit or two; knowing the language would be very beneficial to the trip.

And I get what you mean: Keeping a positive attitude and open heart and mind about a situation will help toward getting through obstacles along the way.
I just hope that if I do decide to pursue this, I can remember to maintain it, which I think with the proper preparations, shouldn't be overly unbearable.

^^

I've always found other cultures fascinating, and not just limiting that statement to Japan.
I mean, to be able to imagine a path where I'd be involved within a different culture is sort of surreal. Just thinking about the possibility is a joy in itself. It's sort of scary, but it's awesome at the same time.

Haha, but anyways, thanks so much for your post.
I didn't mean to ramble!
And, I appreciate the advice!

manganimefan227 04-30-2010 02:37 AM

Just bein' the honest cookie ;)

You'll have a blast!

CoreyLynn 04-30-2010 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manganimefan227 (Post 810321)
Just bein' the honest cookie ;)

You'll have a blast!

Thank you, again!

^^

GoNative 05-09-2010 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyLynn (Post 810101)
Oh, you've heard that they're really expensive?
That's a bit of a shame, I hope that you're
able to gain a scholarship.
And I hope, that if I choose to do this, that we'll
both be able to work it out.

This idea that Japan is really expensive I think is a very outdated one. Sure the big cities like Tokyo and Osaka can be expensive but show me any major city in the world that is not expensive to live in, New York, London or Sydney for instance. Once you get out of the major metropolis's though Japan in my opinion is incredibly cheap, certainly a lot cheaper than back in my home country Australia. I do live up North in Hokkaido though and it is an incredibly cheap lifestyle.

Caerula 05-09-2010 08:56 AM

Sorry for interrupting your communicative exchange, but I have a related request: I´m working as a teacher at primary school (made my degree at university in Arts, German studies and Mathematics). - has anybody ever heard about a working exchange year for educators?
I´m planing a language study travel about 4 weeks next summer - so I´m (in the case, that I like it there) interested in opportunities of working there for a year or maybe more (at german schools for example), but couldn´t find any adequate informations in www. I also tried the sites of the japanese and german embassy, but without success. Is such a purpose even possible?

Sashimister 05-09-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caerula (Post 811446)
Sorry for interrupting your communicative exchange, but I have a related request: I´m working as a teacher at primary school (made my degree at university in Arts, German studies and Mathematics). - has anybody ever heard about a working exchange year for educators?
I´m planing a language study travel about 4 weeks next summer - so I´m (in the case, that I like it there) interested in opportunities of working there for a year or maybe more (at german schools for example), but couldn´t find any adequate informations in www. I also tried the sites of the japanese and german embassy, but without success. Is such a purpose even possible?

Have you seen these?

Schule | Deutsche Schule Tokyo Yokohama

Tokyo - Willkommen im Goethe-Institut Japan in Tokyo

Caerula 05-09-2010 10:04 AM

No, I havent´t found these during my online search. Thanks very much - I guess, my questions will be answered soon on this pages :)

Oh, they are currently searching a primary teacher, haha. But that would be too soon. Adequate japanese language competence should be there. I hope in 1 or 2 years there will be other offers for those jobs. Then maybe it could be a tempting opportunity.

CoreyLynn 05-13-2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 811428)
This idea that Japan is really expensive I think is a very outdated one. Sure the big cities like Tokyo and Osaka can be expensive but show me any major city in the world that is not expensive to live in, New York, London or Sydney for instance. Once you get out of the major metropolis's though Japan in my opinion is incredibly cheap, certainly a lot cheaper than back in my home country Australia. I do live up North in Hokkaido though and it is an incredibly cheap lifestyle.

Oh well then, thanks for the perspective.
However, I'm really considering trying to transfer to an American University over in Tokyo after I get my AA Degree. You're required to be in home-stay or dorms for a semester, I think, and then you have to get your own place.

So, I'll still have to do some research on apartment prices there, but overall, I get what you mean.
It's definitely not just "Japan" that's expensive. That could be said about everywhere.

But, you said that you live in North Hokkaido.
May I ask what made you want to move there? And what you do as a living?

I'd like some more personal feedback and experiences.

GoNative 05-14-2010 02:25 AM

I originally came to Japan back in '03 with my wife on a ski holiday to the Niseko ski area. This was just prior to it becoming a very popular international ski resort. Skiing is without doubt my biggest passion in life. Anyway I was blown away by the increadible amounts and quality of snow here so we came back the next winter and ended up getting jobs with one of the foreign tour operators. We still didn't have work visas sorted though and had to head back to Australia at the end of the winter. By this time I was completely in love with the place and somehow convinced my wife it would be a good idea to leave our lives in Aus and move to Japan permanently. We ended up getting sponsored visas through NOVA, they put us in a school in Gunma and we returned in June. The heat in Gunma in the summer is rather oppressive to say the least so we contacted our previous employer in Niseko advising we now had sponsored work visas and would like to head back up there. So after just 5 weeks of teaching english we headed back to Niseko and have been here ever since. We both work in property management now for 2 separate companies. There is now about 250 foreigners living in the area year round and it is a pretty vibrant and active little community.
Hokkaido is a truly beautiful place and much more sparsely populated than Honshu. We have a bit of a saying amongst those who live in Niseko, we came here for the winter and skiing but end up living here for the summer. The summer really is very nice with little of the oppressive heat and humidity that afflicts Honshu reaching this far north. The region is amazing for living a very active outdoor lifestyle and Hokkaido is an extremely cheap place to live. Most of us living here earn far less than we did in our home countries but our lives here are just so good that I certainly wouldn't even dream of getting a job in somewhere like Tokyo no matter how much money you enticed me with.
I'm a little different to many on these forums I think in that I didn't come to live in Japan because I had a long term interest in the culture or people. In fact I knew very little about either before moving here and to be honest I continue to have very little interest in the culture. I've always been much more into the natural world rather than the human one and Hokakido is one of the most naturally beautiful places on the planet. Add to that the incredible snow of winter and I'm in heaven. My wife and I are very settled having bought a house and having our first child here last year. We fully intend on spending the rest of our lives here.

CoreyLynn 05-15-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 812010)
I originally came to Japan back in '03 with my wife on a ski holiday to the Niseko ski area. This was just prior to it becoming a very popular international ski resort. Skiing is without doubt my biggest passion in life. Anyway I was blown away by the increadible amounts and quality of snow here so we came back the next winter and ended up getting jobs with one of the foreign tour operators. We still didn't have work visas sorted though and had to head back to Australia at the end of the winter. By this time I was completely in love with the place and somehow convinced my wife it would be a good idea to leave our lives in Aus and move to Japan permanently. We ended up getting sponsored visas through NOVA, they put us in a school in Gunma and we returned in June. The heat in Gunma in the summer is rather oppressive to say the least so we contacted our previous employer in Niseko advising we now had sponsored work visas and would like to head back up there. So after just 5 weeks of teaching english we headed back to Niseko and have been here ever since. We both work in property management now for 2 separate companies. There is now about 250 foreigners living in the area year round and it is a pretty vibrant and active little community.
Hokkaido is a truly beautiful place and much more sparsely populated than Honshu. We have a bit of a saying amongst those who live in Niseko, we came here for the winter and skiing but end up living here for the summer. The summer really is very nice with little of the oppressive heat and humidity that afflicts Honshu reaching this far north. The region is amazing for living a very active outdoor lifestyle and Hokkaido is an extremely cheap place to live. Most of us living here earn far less than we did in our home countries but our lives here are just so good that I certainly wouldn't even dream of getting a job in somewhere like Tokyo no matter how much money you enticed me with.
I'm a little different to many on these forums I think in that I didn't come to live in Japan because I had a long term interest in the culture or people. In fact I knew very little about either before moving here and to be honest I continue to have very little interest in the culture. I've always been much more into the natural world rather than the human one and Hokakido is one of the most naturally beautiful places on the planet. Add to that the incredible snow of winter and I'm in heaven. My wife and I are very settled having bought a house and having our first child here last year. We fully intend on spending the rest of our lives here.

Wow, to be honest, I haven't actually seen or heard all that much about Hokkaido, and just from looking at some pictures on Google, it looks absolutely incredible; though I'm sure that pictures alone done do it enough justice.

Reading your story was very enjoyable to me. It was nice to read that though you hadn't expected it to, you fell in love with a place so fast.
I just hope that I'm able to find that happiness and comfort wherever I choose to live.

Now, you mentioned that you taught English for only 5 weeks:
So, did you go through the JET program?
Or did you do something else?
How did you find the teaching jobs?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it!
And if you would answers these, I'd be further grateful.

Tsuwabuki 05-16-2010 11:34 AM

JET has more control over your visa because they are a quasi-government program (discussion of CLAIR, bidding practices, etc, are outside the scope of this post) and usually only gives you thirty days before they revoke sponsorship. I have my doubts he was on JET.

My guess is that he was an eikaiwa (conversation school) or dispatch ALT teacher. Legally, an employee may quit at will (or may be terminated at will), and usually how notice is given is covered in the contract. He probably just spoke to his boss and explained it wasn't working out after making sure his sponsorship for change of work industry was discussed with his old (and current) boss. He would have then just taken the paperwork to immigration and changed his visa type (or may not even have had to, actually. My visa allows me to do a lot more than just teach, which is what I do with it. If I had an instructor visa, I would be locked in).

As for finding teaching jobs, JapanForum (while a great forum for Japanese culture in general) is not a very good place. Your best bets would be GaijinPot, Dave's ESL Cafe, the Ohayo Sensei newsletter, and googling. A lot.

Note, we are past the hiring peak, and the market is relatively flooded right now. This doesn't mean you can't find a position, just that it is not as easy it has been in the past, and that overseas individuals without visas and previous experience have a harder time than visa holders in Japan who already have experience (and there are a lot of those looking for work already).

GoNative 05-17-2010 06:28 AM

We got a sponsored visa through NOVA sometime before it went bust. The visa type is fairly broad allowing work in a number of fields. Outside of the big cities I would think Niseko has the most opportunities for foreigners wanting to live and work in Japan without having to teach english as there are so many foreign run businesses here catering to the international ski market. I wasn't overly keen on teaching english anyway but it was the easiest way to get a sponsored work visa from Australia.

Hokkaido though isn't for everyone. It does have a very long, cold and snowy winters. In fact the town I live in is one of the snowiest in the world averaging up around 40ft each winter. For someone like myself who loves winter and snowsports it's awesome. Summers although relatively short are very pleasant without getting too hot (I don't like heat). If you love a slow, stress free, outdoors oriented life it's near perfect. If you're really into Japanese culture and like big cities and clubbing and all that sort of stuff it's not the best place in Japan.

CoreyLynn 05-17-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 812251)
We got a sponsored visa through NOVA sometime before it went bust. The visa type is fairly broad allowing work in a number of fields. Outside of the big cities I would think Niseko has the most opportunities for foreigners wanting to live and work in Japan without having to teach english as there are so many foreign run businesses here catering to the international ski market. I wasn't overly keen on teaching english anyway but it was the easiest way to get a sponsored work visa from Australia.

Hokkaido though isn't for everyone. It does have a very long, cold and snowy winters. In fact the town I live in is one of the snowiest in the world averaging up around 40ft each winter. For someone like myself who loves winter and snowsports it's awesome. Summers although relatively short are very pleasant without getting too hot (I don't like heat). If you love a slow, stress free, outdoors oriented life it's near perfect. If you're really into Japanese culture and like big cities and clubbing and all that sort of stuff it's not the best place in Japan.

I'll definitely have to do some searching on NOVA then, because I haven't heard of it before reading your post.

The difference for me though, is that I really wouldn't mind teaching English at all.
I, personally, would love the experience of being in a classroom. So, a teaching job is what I'd strive for if I were to move to Japan.

Also, I live in a place right now where the winters take up more than half of the year. So, hearing that it snows a lot over there as well, I don't think I'd be able to handle that.
I love the warmth.

But geez, really, thanks again for all of the answers and experiences you were able to share to me!

atheistwithfaith 05-19-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyLynn (Post 812405)
I'll definitely have to do some searching on NOVA then, because I haven't heard of it before reading your post.

The difference for me though, is that I really wouldn't mind teaching English at all.
I, personally, would love the experience of being in a classroom. So, a teaching job is what I'd strive for if I were to move to Japan.

Also, I live in a place right now where the winters take up more than half of the year. So, hearing that it snows a lot over there as well, I don't think I'd be able to handle that.
I love the warmth.

But geez, really, thanks again for all of the answers and experiences you were able to share to me!

By all means search for NOVA for an example of the unstable nature of english-teaching in Japan, but you possibly have not heard of them because they went bankrupt around 2007 and collapsed in 2008!

CoreyLynn 05-19-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith (Post 812615)
By all means search for NOVA for an example of the unstable nature of english-teaching in Japan, but you possibly have not heard of them because they went bankrupt around 2007 and collapsed in 2008!

Well, alright then,

thanks.

Polar 05-19-2010 08:45 PM

From what I've read around the net, the english teaching bubble is done.

CoreyLynn 05-19-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar (Post 812696)
From what I've read around the net, the english teaching bubble is done.

Is that because so many people want to do it?
And where, if you don't mind me asking, have you read this?

MMM 05-19-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyLynn (Post 812698)
Is that because so many people want to do it?
And where, if you don't mind me asking, have you read this?

As long as Japanese people desire to learn English there will always be people willing to pay native speakers to teach. I think it is harder to find work there than it was 10 years ago, but there are still lots of opportunities.

CoreyLynn 05-19-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 812701)
As long as Japanese people desire to learn English there will always be people willing to pay native speakers to teach. I think it is harder to find work there than it was 10 years ago, but there are still lots of opportunities.

That's good to hear then, thanks.

Do you know of anything that specifically makes people more appealing when trying to get a job in teaching english?
What I mean is, are there things that I can do beforehand that will help my chances for being hired; such as certain degrees, certificates, experience?

I'm still just a Junior in High School, and this is something I'm really considering as a future career.
I just want to make sure that I understand my options.

Thanks for the post.

MMM 05-19-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyLynn (Post 812703)
That's good to hear then, thanks.

Do you know of anything that specifically makes people more appealing when trying to get a job in teaching english?
What I mean is, are there things that I can do beforehand that will help my chances for being hired; such as certain degrees, certificates, experience?

I'm still just a Junior in High School, and this is something I'm really considering as a future career.
I just want to make sure that I understand my options.

Thanks for the post.

1) Be a native speaker of English from a country where English is the major language in Europe, North America or Australia/New Zealand.

2) Have a BA or BS from an accredited four-year college or university.

That's about it.

CoreyLynn 05-19-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 812708)
1) Be a native speaker of English from a country where English is the major language in Europe, North America or Australia/New Zealand.

That's about it.

Haha, well those are some simple steps.
Thanks.

^^

sarasi 05-19-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 812708)

That's about it.

I just wanted to point out that in NZ, Australia and the UK, in most cases a BA or BSc (<- =BS) is finished in 3 years- mine was, and it was fine for getting me a working visa. A lot of people not from North America who have degrees see people constantly mention the "4-year degree" thing and assume they don't qualify, which is not the case.

I also wanted to correct someone above- while Nova did go bankrupt, it did not collapse in 2008- it was immediately bought out by a company called G-Com, who continue to run it even now. It is not as large as it was before, but it is still there. G-Com also bought out Geos on its bankruptcy just recently.

As for what's happening with the English teaching market, Japanese people really just aren't signing up for English conversation classes in as large numbers these days. There was an English conversation class "boom" in the late 80s and 90s where everyone wanted to take classes, and that has basically finished. One of the reasons Geos went bankrupt is that they had something like 35,000 fewer sign-ups last year than they did the previous year. Of course that has a lot to do with the economic recession as well as the end of the "boom".

I first arrived in Japan in Japan in 1995 when it was joked that anyone with a pulse could get a job teaching English here, and it was pretty much true.

It's much harder now- there are still plenty of jobs, but definitely not as many as before, and there are lots more people applying for them, so you really have to stand out.