JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

If I Wanted to Live in Japan-Advice Please? - 04-28-2010, 12:26 AM

First off, I want to say that I'm sorry that this post must seem really repetitive and frustrating.

<: )

The idea of living in Japan is really appealing to me.
Haha, but, I do realize that I may not find a life there for myself appealing once seeing and living it, so I plan on taking a trip there in a year or two to see if it's something I love.

So, this post is to help me to decide if this is a path I want to pursue.

I've done just a little research and plan to do a whole lot more on it, but so far it's apparent that I need to get a college degree to make things just a bit easier, and a TEFL Certificate if I plan on teaching English as a second language.

My first questions are: How would I go about getting a TEFL Certificate? How old do I need to be to take the course? How long is the course? And, what does this course consist of?

I mean, I'd also really appreciate it if you maybe had a link for steps I'd need to take to really commit to that goal, or if you knew the steps from experience and/or knowledge.

Secondly, what are the real requirements for being a teacher abroad?

Currently, I'm a junior in high school, so are there steps I can take now to prepare myself for this option, if I choose it?

What are your recommendations and experiences for/from living in Japan.

How can I make it happen?

If you do or have lived in Japan why do you like it? Why didn't you like it? And what should I expect my life to be like if I were to actually LIVE there?

Lastly, if there are any tips on how I could my life a bit more easier for this transition, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks so very much for your time!
: )

(Sorry for bombarding you with all of these questions, haha)

BlissfulGold

~~~

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

---Marilyn Monroe
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KungMartin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2010, 12:36 AM

If I were you I would just try getting a scholarship if you wanna go to Japan..

pz ! <3

Last edited by KungMartin : 04-28-2010 at 12:44 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyLynn View Post
First off, I want to say that I'm sorry that this post must seem really repetitive and frustrating.

<: )

The idea of living in Japan is really appealing to me.
Haha, but, I do realize that I may not find a life there for myself appealing once seeing and living it, so I plan on taking a trip there in a year or two to see if it's something I love.

So, this post is to help me to decide if this is a path I want to pursue.

I've done just a little research and plan to do a whole lot more on it, but so far it's apparent that I need to get a college degree to make things just a bit easier, and a TEFL Certificate if I plan on teaching English as a second language.

My first questions are: How would I go about getting a TEFL Certificate? How old do I need to be to take the course? How long is the course? And, what does this course consist of?

I mean, I'd also really appreciate it if you maybe had a link for steps I'd need to take to really commit to that goal, or if you knew the steps from experience and/or knowledge.

Secondly, what are the real requirements for being a teacher abroad?

Currently, I'm a junior in high school, so are there steps I can take now to prepare myself for this option, if I choose it?

What are your recommendations and experiences for/from living in Japan.

How can I make it happen?

If you do or have lived in Japan why do you like it? Why didn't you like it? And what should I expect my life to be like if I were to actually LIVE there?

Lastly, if there are any tips on how I could my life a bit more easier for this transition, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks so very much for your time!

(Sorry for bombarding you with all of these questions, haha)
First for info on the TEFL certificate, just google it. You should be able to find out on your own all that you need to know to get you on your way.

I have been in Japan for quite a while, and honestly your experience will be what you make of it. Your attitude, temperament, level of open-mindedness, and ability to look at things from other people's point of view will all play a key role in your level of happiness you attain here. I know this is a vague answer but your questions are a bit too broad. If you would like to know something specific about living in Japan please ask it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
diamond1 (Offline)
New to JF

04-28-2010, 02:04 AM

It was said that living standard and cost are so high, I also think that I will live in Japan when I gain a scholarship
(#5 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

04-28-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
If I were you I would just try getting a scholarship if you wanna go to Japan..
Thanks for your input.

BlissfulGold

~~~

"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."

---Marilyn Monroe
(#6 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

04-28-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
First for info on the TEFL certificate, just google it. You should be able to find out on your own all that you need to know to get you on your way.

I have been in Japan for quite a while, and honestly your experience will be what you make of it. Your attitude, temperament, level of open-mindedness, and ability to look at things from other people's point of view will all play a key role in your level of happiness you attain here. I know this is a vague answer but your questions are a bit too broad. If you would like to know something specific about living in Japan please ask it.
Oh okay, sorry for the obvious-google-it-questions.

But really, thanks.
I was really glad that you put in that a person's attitude about a situation really helps.
I've read a lot of posts and such and hardly anyone mentioned that it's a person's willingness and state of mind about the situation that can make the difference.
So, thank you for that.
I mean, I realize that it takes a bit more than just a happy outlook to make it in a different country, but it's still nice to keep in mind.

Also, I apologize for being so broad with my questions.

So questions I have about living in Japan are, that under a basic salary, are apartments/living conditions financially reasonable?

And, if you don't mind me asking, what do you, personally, do as a profession overseas?
How did you prepare your own life for such a transition?
And did you run into any "bumps" along the way?

How much do you recommend I put away before I try and make a "move" to Japan, even if I get a job lined up before I transition?
I'd like to have some sort of something to fall back on.

I'm sorry if you can't help me with these questions, but I appreciate your post nonetheless!

BlissfulGold

~~~

---Marilyn Monroe
(#7 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

04-28-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond1 View Post
It was said that living standard and cost are so high, I also think that I will live in Japan when I gain a scholarship
Oh, you've heard that they're really expensive?
That's a bit of a shame, I hope that you're
able to gain a scholarship.
And I hope, that if I choose to do this, that we'll
both be able to work it out.

BlissfulGold

~~~

---Marilyn Monroe
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Oh okay, sorry for the obvious-google-it-questions.

But really, thanks.
I was really glad that you put in that a person's attitude about a situation really helps.
I've read a lot of posts and such and hardly anyone mentioned that it's a person's willingness and state of mind about the situation that can make the difference.
So, thank you for that.
I mean, I realize that it takes a bit more than just a happy outlook to make it in a different country, but it's still nice to keep in mind.

Also, I apologize for being so broad with my questions.

So questions I have about living in Japan are, that under a basic salary, are apartments/living conditions financially reasonable?

And, if you don't mind me asking, what do you, personally, do as a profession overseas?
How did you prepare your own life for such a transition?
And did you run into any "bumps" along the way?

How much do you recommend I put away before I try and make a "move" to Japan, even if I get a job lined up before I transition?
I'd like to have some sort of something to fall back on.

I'm sorry if you can't help me with these questions, but I appreciate your post nonetheless!
Ok, well you said you are a junior in high school right? So you are looking at 5-6 years before you will be able to make a move here. So it is hard to project exactly what your cost of living etc will be, but generally it depends upon where you end up. You will most certainly find it is easier to save money working in smaller cities. If you were to apply for the JET program, you will most likely be placed in a smaller city, and you may get the added benefit of subsidized house/dirt cheap rent. I have been working here for 5 years and my saving account has increased A LOT. So while you will hear that Japan is expensive etc, it is possible to live here and save a ton of money, but this of course will take discipline on your part. If you let it, Japan can and will vacuum your money away real quick.

So in short, at this time, under a typical English teacher's salary you should be able to pay the bills, and save a little extra, how much you save depends on you and where you end up living mostly.

I currently work at an education center, my job is basically to help train Japanese teachers of English at middle schools and high schools, and more recently to help elementary school teacher who now have to teach foreign language activities which they were not previously trained to do. I also do visits to elementary schools, and translate various documents. I got this job basically through the JET program.

For me, it was not that much of a transition since I had lived in Japan before on scholarship as an exchange student for one year. When I came as a student. .well, I did not formally prepare myself, but I had lots of Japanese friends back home that I had been learning about Japan from, and I had been studying Japanese as an elective course at my uni.

Umm I did not have too many bumps at first because I had a "tutor" to help me out getting my life started here as a student, I also lived in a dormitory with many other international students who had been there for a while who also helped me out. So other than the natural learning curve (for the language, customs, lifestyle and culture) there where not too many "bumps" that stick out in my mind.

If you get yourself a job first (and not including a plane ticket if you have to buy one) I would say you should set aside at least $3000-5000 USD to potentially cover costs for getting yourself into an apartment and getting set up. I doubt you will be using all of it, but that is how much I would prepare, just to be completely safe.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
CoreyLynn (Offline)
JF Regular

04-28-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Ok, well you said you are a junior in high school right? So you are looking at 5-6 years before you will be able to make a move here. So it is hard to project exactly what your cost of living etc will be, but generally it depends upon where you end up. You will most certainly find it is easier to save money working in smaller cities. If you were to apply for the JET program, you will most likely be placed in a smaller city, and you may get the added benefit of subsidized house/dirt cheap rent. I have been working here for 5 years and my saving account has increased A LOT. So while you will hear that Japan is expensive etc, it is possible to live here and save a ton of money, but this of course will take discipline on your part. If you let it, Japan can and will vacuum your money away real quick.

So in short, at this time, under a typical English teacher's salary you should be able to pay the bills, and save a little extra, how much you save depends on you and where you end up living mostly.

I currently work at an education center, my job is basically to help train Japanese teachers of English at middle schools and high schools, and more recently to help elementary school teacher who now have to teach foreign language activities which they were not previously trained to do. I also do visits to elementary schools, and translate various documents. I got this job basically through the JET program.

For me, it was not that much of a transition since I had lived in Japan before on scholarship as an exchange student for one year. When I came as a student. .well, I did not formally prepare myself, but I had lots of Japanese friends back home that I had been learning about Japan from, and I had been studying Japanese as an elective course at my uni.

Umm I did not have too many bumps at first because I had a "tutor" to help me out getting my life started here as a student, I also lived in a dormitory with many other international students who had been there for a while who also helped me out. So other than the natural learning curve (for the language, customs, lifestyle and culture) there where not too many "bumps" that stick out in my mind.

If you get yourself a job first (and not including a plane ticket if you have to buy one) I would say you should set aside at least $3000-5000 USD to potentially cover costs for getting yourself into an apartment and getting set up. I doubt you will be using all of it, but that is how much I would prepare, just to be completely safe.

Thank you so, so much.
I really can't tell you how much you're post helps.

BlissfulGold

~~~

---Marilyn Monroe
(#10 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Fir
No doubt your research has told you that the college degree doesn't just make things a bit easier, it is what actually makes it possible- no working visa without a degree (unless you have many years' work experience).