JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Getting PR - 05-09-2010, 02:59 AM

Hi all

I'm an Aussie who moved to Japan 5 years ago with my wife (also Aussie) and we have pretty much decided that we'd like to live here for good.
We have bought a house and have investment property here, we both have secure long term jobs (not english teaching), we had our first child here in Sapporo and I own a bar in Hakodate which employs a few Japanese locals. Our Japanese is not fluent unfortunately but we live in a fairly vibrant ex-pat community in the Niseko area and most of our Japanese friends speak near fluent english. We both do Iaido and Kendo and through this have some very good connections with prominent local business people.

Just wondering when do you think the earliest would be we could apply for permanent residency and have a chance of getting it? Anyone else who isn't married to a J national that has got their PR? How long did it take you?

Last edited by GoNative : 05-09-2010 at 03:15 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2010, 06:43 PM

You'll have to wait at least another 5 years.

10 years is the minium I think before you can apply and expect to wait after that.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-09-2010, 10:30 PM

This is not true. You can start to apply (seriously, but silly people apply sooner) after five years, but by ten years it becomes much easier. Prior to 10 years, you must show you've made a major contribution to Japan.

If the OP's bar is considered an important part of the community, he may actually have a good case. His livelihood is tied to Japan. He has invested in Japan (house, property, business). He employs Japanese citizens. His child has only known Japan as a home. As long as his finances are secure, and he is not in default, has no outstanding debt (besides those any normal Japanese citizen would incur for the same activities), and his employees, neighbors, and fellow business owners will speak on his behalf, I actually think he's got a shot to show he's contributed in several ways. Economically and culturally (by exposing his neighbors, employees, and customers Aussie culture).

Let me pull up relevant info...

Permission for Permanent Residence

You may not be successful the first time. Just keep reapplying every year until you succeed. Get your local politicians involved too, if they consider you a valued member of the community. Talk to your city council, your representatives, your prefectural Governor. If enough people, and enough documents, say THIS PERSON IS IMPORTANT, I think you have a good shot.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org