JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

I have a Bachelors degree....I can work in Japan now? - 05-28-2010, 07:33 AM

I'm in a situation here....I know I will resolve it soon but I'm also here for some advice.

1. I have a bachelor's degree in Economics from a 4 year university ( a good university too)
2. Now, I'm a American citizen but I'm Chinese
3. I speak fluent Chinese and English
4. I don't think I can get a English teaching job because I'm not white
5. I have "affiliations" in Japan ( I mean a sponsor)
6. My Japanese is.....I don't know....I can read and write with no problem...listening and speaking is okay I guess (I mean I can read manga and watch anime without subs...that type of thing)

so......

I want to get a job in Tokyo......

what are the chances??
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
I'm in a situation here....I know I will resolve it soon but I'm also here for some advice.

1. I have a bachelor's degree in Economics from a 4 year university ( a good university too)
2. Now, I'm a American citizen but I'm Chinese
3. I speak fluent Chinese and English
4. I don't think I can get a English teaching job because I'm not white
5. I have "affiliations" in Japan ( I mean a sponsor)
6. My Japanese is.....I don't know....I can read and write with no problem...listening and speaking is okay I guess (I mean I can read manga and watch anime without subs...that type of thing)

so......

I want to get a job in Tokyo......

what are the chances??
If you are a native speaker of English is does not matter what you look like, you can get an English teaching job.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-28-2010, 10:33 AM

What about any other types of job???

That's what I'm concerned about. I want to be completely fluent in Japanese. Completely
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-28-2010, 12:06 PM

Uhm. You know, even being an English teacher, if your intent is to relocate to Tokyo several years, will eventually require you to become fluent in Japanese if you want to advance. Entry level ALT or eikaiwa positions are simply not designed to promote acculturation and advancement. Whether they should or not is a regular debate here and on other Japan related forums...

There are programs at some Japanese universities that allow you to earn a Japanese education degree and teaching certification by taking upper level education courses in Japanese (your lower divisions are counted from your current BA).

The catch? You need to pass JLPT1 for most of these programs, or JLPT2 for the others. In this case learning Japanese fluently is not an option; it is a requirement.

If I stay in Japan past the age of 28 (which is coming up too soon, too soon) then I plan to go this route and pursue permanent residency.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-28-2010, 03:09 PM

You should have no problem getting an English teaching position in Japan. Your ethnicity is not really a factor, and I know a few English teachers who are from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and elsewhere.

If you want to get a teaching position in Japan, you need to do a little planning. The best times to apply for teaching positions are just ahead of the fall and spring school semesters. It is at these times that most hiring is done. If you were looking for a position now, or in early winter, you would have a much harder time.

I wouldn't be too preoccupied with getting a position inside Tokyo. I love Tokyo (and will be working at a new school there as of Monday), but there's a lot to be said about living outside the metro area. It's cheaper, the people tend to be laid back and more friendly, and getting to Tokyo when you have the desire for a visit is usually not that difficult.

If finding a position in the metro area is difficult, you should try for the areas immediately surrounding it. Kanagawa, Saitama, and Chiba are all close by (some people even commute to central Tokyo daily from these areas), but are far less expensive, and have many things of their own to offer.

This weekend I'm moving house to Tokyo after 2 years of living out in the countryside, I'll miss the sounds of the frogs and the smell of the flowers.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-29-2010, 02:10 AM

I'm not white (nowhere near it) and I'm here.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-29-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
You should have no problem getting an English teaching position in Japan. Your ethnicity is not really a factor, and I know a few English teachers who are from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and elsewhere.

If you want to get a teaching position in Japan, you need to do a little planning. The best times to apply for teaching positions are just ahead of the fall and spring school semesters. It is at these times that most hiring is done. If you were looking for a position now, or in early winter, you would have a much harder time.

I wouldn't be too preoccupied with getting a position inside Tokyo. I love Tokyo (and will be working at a new school there as of Monday), but there's a lot to be said about living outside the metro area. It's cheaper, the people tend to be laid back and more friendly, and getting to Tokyo when you have the desire for a visit is usually not that difficult.

If finding a position in the metro area is difficult, you should try for the areas immediately surrounding it. Kanagawa, Saitama, and Chiba are all close by (some people even commute to central Tokyo daily from these areas), but are far less expensive, and have many things of their own to offer.

This weekend I'm moving house to Tokyo after 2 years of living out in the countryside, I'll miss the sounds of the frogs and the smell of the flowers.
Good luck on your move, I hope it all goes well for you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2010, 03:09 AM

well hopefully I can find another job that doesn't have anything to do with teaching English.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
well hopefully I can find another job that doesn't have anything to do with teaching English.
Well I hope you can too, but what do you have to offer that an educated Japanese person who is already living here, and fully aware of the culture, customs, and social responsibilities cannot offer?

If you do not want to teach English initially your best ticket to coming here and having a decent job is getting hired by a Japanese company in your home country, or by a company that has branches in Japan, and then getting transferred here.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post

If you do not want to teach English initially your best ticket to coming here and having a decent job is getting hired by a Japanese company in your home country, or by a company that has branches in Japan, and then getting transferred here.
True....but I want to know how the heck I find a company like this? Are there websites where I can apply for such jobs?