JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Pets In Japan - 06-26-2010, 03:08 PM

Do dogs and cats have a good life in JAPAN. Are they treated AS animals and not treated cruelly.

I saw a film about cats and dogs in CHiNA who are treated in terrible ways plus getting skinned alive-- which is appalling. If I had my way I would not buy anything from CHINA until they change their attitude to animals.

I wonder how much freedom a dog or cat might have.

Are there decent parks etc to exercise dogs?

I hate to see dogs dressed up in fancy clothes. It is so unnatural and cruel to do that-- and humiliating for the animals.

Do many japanese people own pets? If their homes are small is there enough room?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
06-26-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm sure with a quick google search you may find if there are any dog parks in Japan

Also: Top 10 Dog Friendly Cities in Japan

Also, a bit off-topic, but some vets prefer that you dress your animals if they have short fut, especially in the winter or in colder climates. Unnatural, yes. Cruel? Hardly. Dressing an animal up doesn't make it any more or less happier - if it loves it's owner and life, it's not going to give two thoughts over what's on it's back.

Plus, if you live in America like I do, you would see that it would be impossible to NOT buy things that were made in China.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kaitlyndoll (Offline)
New to JF

06-26-2010, 05:53 PM

Hello,

Don't worry about that, Japan is a pet friendly country! I have a friend in Tokyo who owns a beagle, the dog already 8years. And they never have a problem in terms of their pet. They also bring their dog at the park every evening for exercise. They love Charlie so much..
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

06-27-2010, 12:22 AM

I believe there are now more pets in the metro Tokyo area than there are children. Pet stores, grooming shops, and pet accessory shops are everywhere, and all convenience stores carry pet food and such.

Unfortunately, people in Japan like to dress up their dogs as much as they like to dress up themselves, and many (if not most) pet dogs will wear shirts or sweaters of some type. I've dogs with Louis Vuitton or Coach leashes, which is hilarious.

There are many restaurants now which serve people and pets, coincidentally I visited such a place just the other day. There is food for both people and their dogs (or cats). It's interesting, but maybe a little too much.

Another interesting thing is how many people in Tokyo take their cats with them to the park or beach, or other places. Cats don't take well to leashes, but I've seen them being walked with them.

The most popular dog in Tokyo is still the miniature Dachshund, followed by the miniature poodle, and the Yorki. Big dogs are not that common, but you occasionally see labradors, or golden retrievers.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2010, 02:06 AM

Very very friendly to pets

Kitties

(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

06-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Unfortunately, people in Japan like to dress up their dogs as much as they like to dress up themselves, and many (if not most) pet dogs will wear shirts or sweaters of some type. I've dogs with Louis Vuitton or Coach leashes, which is hilarious.

Is a shame that dogs have to cope with the humiliation of being dressed up. They have their own fur surely. I have seen programmes where some Americans also dress their poor little dogs in fancy dress. Dogs should not be treated as some little human pet. I do believe even in this Country some people do the same. If they really loved their pet they would not do that apart from having a coat when the weather is too wet or cold. WHen I saw that photo of a husky with a coat on over its ears etc thats simply crazy and the dog must be so uncomfortable.

There are many restaurants now which serve people and pets, coincidentally I visited such a place just the other day. There is food for both people and their dogs (or cats). It's interesting, but maybe a little too much.

Here in UK dogs are not allowed into eating places- apart from Guide Dogs.
In fact they are banned from most shops--.

"Another interesting thing is how many people in Tokyo take their cats with them to the park or beach, or other places. Cats don't take well to leashes, but I've seen them being walked with them."

I have occasionally seem siamese cats on a lead, here in UK but not very often.

The most popular dog in Tokyo is still the miniature Dachshund, followed by the miniature poodle, and the Yorki. Big dogs are not that common, but you occasionally see labradors, or golden retrievers.
Interesting that dachshunds are popular. Here the JApanese AKITA is very popular and of course they are beautiful animals striking in appearance but need proper training and discipline.

There was a time when we were not supposed to send dogs to JAPAN because of the way they were treated. One reads about them being being discarded by sending them down the refuse Shoot. The chikuken company used to import from here or Ireland.

Sadly there are always people who treat all animals badly often with neglect.

I have a schnauzer, a cairn terrier and a funny little affenpinscher-- he is so comical.

I am not sure how to do the quotes and responses so forgive me if I make a mess of it all. get it wrong

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 06-27-2010 at 10:46 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

06-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
I'm sure with a quick google search you may find if there are any dog parks in Japan

Also: Top 10 Dog Friendly Cities in Japan

Also, a bit off-topic, but some vets prefer that you dress your animals if they have short fut, especially in the winter or in colder climates. Unnatural, yes. Cruel? Hardly. Dressing an animal up doesn't make it any more or less happier - if it loves it's owner and life, it's not going to give two thoughts over what's on it's back. "

Plus, if you live in America like I do, you would see that it would be impossible to NOT buy things that were made in China.

RE CHINA-- Sadly I know that is too true-- what isn't MADE IN CHINA? but I still feel they should be taught how to treat living creatures that have feelings just as we humans do. Seeing films of some of their markets also is terrible. They have advanced in many ways but to skin pets alive------What sane person would do that?

Its okay to keep a dog warm but there can be too much!! Just my opinon of course.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

06-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Have you heard of CatCafes?

They're little places with tons of cats, you go there, pay a fee and can hang out with cats for a certain amount of time. You can order tea, coffee, desserts, etc. while staying there at the same time. I was fascinated the 1st time I went, I thought it was a super good idea since several appartments do not permit the renters to have pets.

I haven't visited a lot of them, but the few ones I did in Tokyo were great! It made me feel a lot better while I missed my own cats back home.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
ayumiyuu (Offline)
Satan's Bitch

06-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Yeah. I heard about CatCafes!! i saw a film about one.
I think it's a great idea^^

Does it exist for other animals??..maybe for dogs too??
(#10 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

06-28-2010, 04:21 PM

about the cat cafes, gosh I have never heard of them before-- it sounds intriguing. Are the cats treated well?

It sounds like a good idea if people can't have their own cats.

Not sure if we have them in the UK never heard of them anyway.

There are plenty of dog shows in UK where people can go look at all the different breeds, but thats not the same as the cafe you describe. Is that in Japan?