JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LM20 (Offline)
New to JF

chef in japan - 06-28-2010, 08:38 PM

I want to become a chef... Recently my interests in Japan awoke, and i feel i would do practically anything to get there. I did some reality checking and realised it was hard as hell to move there. Basically you need a 4 year degree to get a visa. Although i read that if you are a skilled labour (10 years working experience) you can get visa, this also works for chefs.

So what are my chances if i learn Japanese, work for 10 years, and also do some minor studying on the way (like wine sampling)..

Should i just forget about it?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM20 View Post
I want to become a chef... Recently my interests in Japan awoke, and i feel i would do practically anything to get there. I did some reality checking and realised it was hard as hell to move there. Basically you need a 4 year degree to get a visa. Although i read that if you are a skilled labour (10 years working experience) you can get visa, this also works for chefs.

So what are my chances if i learn Japanese, work for 10 years, and also do some minor studying on the way (like wine sampling)..

Should i just forget about it?
Being a professional chef is one of the few jobs that you potentially actually could be hired to do in Japan. This would mean you would be a professional in a specialized cuisine, probably native to your country. I have seen "native" chefs at all kinds of restaurants in Japan, from Indian to Italian to Brazilian to Chinese...the list goes on.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-29-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Being a professional chef is one of the few jobs that you potentially actually could be hired to do in Japan. This would mean you would be a professional in a specialized cuisine, probably native to your country. I have seen "native" chefs at all kinds of restaurants in Japan, from Indian to Italian to Brazilian to Chinese...the list goes on.
Very true, and very marketable. To the OP, where are you from btw?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
LM20 (Offline)
New to JF

06-29-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Very true, and very marketable. To the OP, where are you from btw?
Im from Sweden. Sounds like i might have a chance then. That's good news.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
LM20 (Offline)
New to JF

06-29-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Okay, nice, i found your other thread about not wanting to go back to japan interesting btw. It made me think.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-29-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Im from Sweden. Sounds like i might have a chance then. That's good news.
If you have any skill with patisserie maybe look into that; high-end desserts are pretty marketable in Japan.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

06-29-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
If you have any skill with patisserie maybe look into that; high-end desserts are pretty marketable in Japan.
I guess he would need to be a licensed maître pâtissier (master pastry chef) in order to be accepted.

Or... Just incredibly skilled.

Edit: Pastry Degree

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 06-29-2010 at 10:57 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
LM20 (Offline)
New to JF

06-29-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Thanks for the advise.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
LM20 (Offline)
New to JF

06-29-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
I guess he would need to be a licensed maître pâtissier (master pastry chef) in order to be accepted.
They really only want the best of the best, eh?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

06-29-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
They really only want the best of the best, eh?
Why would they hire you then?

Unless you can make anything that they (japanese pastry chefs) can't, they won't hire you.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.