JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
superasiaone (Offline)
New to JF

Can I become a Japanese citizen? - 08-19-2010, 10:59 PM

Hello, I am a new member and was wondering if I could find some advice here. I was born in Japan in 1976 to a Japanese mother and American father. I never made a choice about which nationality I wanted but I have always had an American passport which I think my father got for me when I was an infant. My parents moved to San Francisco soon after I was born and I have lived in the US ever since with occasional trips to Japan to visit family. Lately, I have been considering a move to Japan. My mom is also planning to move back after 34 years because she has no health insurance here. I'm sure this type of question is asked here all the time but I couldn't find any specific information. So the question is am I a Japanese citizen? Can I have dual citizenship? Thanks, Mayuko
(#2 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2010, 11:35 PM

Did your mother file your birth certificate with the Japanese authority? Do you have 戸籍? If yes, you are still a Japanese citizen. If no, you need to apply for the citizenship. You are supposed to give up US citizenship when you get Japanese one, but in reality, many people keep their US citizenship. There is no guarantee though.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2010, 11:54 PM

That's a good question. Did you ever have a Japanese passport?

It's obviously a grey area since the Japanese govt doesn't allow dual citizenship. With that being said, I know dozens of Japanese Canadian who have 2 passports and are currently living in Japan. However, in their case, they all had a Japanese passport long before they turned 18.

Is there a reason you'd want to become a Japanese citizen? Are you planning on living there permanently?

As you probably know, you should be able to qualify for the "Child of a Japanese national" visa.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
superasiaone (Offline)
New to JF

08-19-2010, 11:54 PM

I'm not sure. My mom thinks she may have filed a 戸籍 , but dosen't remember. How do I go about finding out? Is it online?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
superasiaone (Offline)
New to JF

08-20-2010, 12:06 AM

I have never had a Japanese passport. Whenever I go to Japan I use my US passport. I am thinking of moving there and I am assuming I need to have citizenship and not a visa if I want to live there with my husband who is American.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2010, 12:16 AM

You should check with your mom if she got you your 戸籍(koseki). If you were born in Japan, and your mother is Japanese, you are technically a Japanese citizen in principle. If she's filed your birth certificate, your 戸籍 is still sleeping in an cabinet in some government building. Then you don't need to deal with the hassle of getting the citizenship. You can just go "home" and ask for your Japanese passport and/or file marriage with your husband.

If not, you probably need to go back to Japan with your mom first and get Japanese citizenship, which shouldn't be very hard and should not take years.

edit: I missed your post. Did your mom filed your birth certificate(出生届け)? if so, you probably have 戸籍. It is not online, you or your mom needs to send a mail to the goverment office where your 本籍(honseki) is.

Last edited by cranks : 08-20-2010 at 12:22 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
superasiaone (Offline)
New to JF

08-20-2010, 12:21 AM

It's funny to think of Japan as my "home". It would be great if I could just go home and ask for a passport, would I have to renounce my US citizenship? I think I will try to find my Koseki the next time I go to Japan with my mom. I actually have a copy of my original birth certificate but nothing that looks like a Koseki.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superasiaone View Post
It's funny to think of Japan as my "home". It would be great if I could just go home and ask for a passport, would I have to renounce my US citizenship? I think I will try to find my Koseki the next time I go to Japan with my mom. I actually have a copy of my original birth certificate but nothing that looks like a Koseki.
US citizenship is a hush-hush. It's rare people actually have to renounce it, but technically it's a gray zone.

Good luck on Koseki. Basically what you need is your mom's 戸籍謄本(koseki touhon). If you are listed as her child, you are a Japanese citizen. She should be able to ask for it by mail if she still has her Japanese passport or some kind of Japanese ID. Depending on where her 本籍 is, they might have a web site like this.

http://www.city.katsushika.lg.jp/kur...22/002230.html

Last edited by cranks : 08-20-2010 at 12:43 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-20-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
US citizenship is a hush-hush. It's rare people actually have to renounce it, but technically it's a gray zone.

Good luck on Koseki. Basically what you need is your mom's 戸籍謄本(koseki touhon). If you are listed as her child, you are a Japanese citizen. She should be able to ask for it by mail if she still has her Japanese passport or some kind of Japanese ID. Depending on where her 本籍 is, they might have a web site like this.

http://www.city.katsushika.lg.jp/kur...22/002230.html
I don't know that they will mail it overseas. You may need to go there in person.

This is a very good thread, as I don't remember someone with this exact question before.

I believe if the child of a Japanese citizen is born outside of Japan they have 6 months to get the koseki touhon updated and can then get a Japanese passport. I am not sure if it the same within Japan.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
superasiaone (Offline)
New to JF

08-20-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
edit: I missed your post. Did your mom filed your birth certificate(出生届け)? if so, you probably have 戸籍. It is not online, you or your mom needs to send a mail to the goverment office where your 本籍(honseki) is.
I have my original birth certificate. Would I be able to tell from that whether she filed the koseki?