JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Reeffrog (Offline)
New to JF

Making a living as a street musician? - 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM

One of my near future goals/dreams is to be able to live in Japan a few years and support myself AND save money by playing electronic music in the streets with a laptop, a step sequencer and a few portable synths. Is this possible at all? I don't know much about the Japanese people's stance on foreigners trying to earn a living this way. I have some talent, having been in music schools since a very young age and I've also been teaching music at elementary schools as well as junior highs in Finland the last 5 or so years.

I would be "reading" my surroundings and the people and adjust the style of music accordingly. From spacey, experimental ambient to more danceable samba, drum n bass, trip hop, jazz etc.

Would I have any chance of making a living only by performing on the streets or would it be better to give out demo cd's to club owners?

I'd really appreciate any insights on my issue! Thanks!

Here's some of my music (old ones, I can upload some more recent stuff if it helps):

Reef Frog

YouTube - ReefFrog's Channel

If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern.

Last edited by Reeffrog : 08-25-2010 at 03:57 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-25-2010, 06:45 PM

To live in Japan legally for more than 90 days you need a visa...A work/student/spouse visa. Street performer doesn't fit any of those.

You could over-extend a tourist visa, but to be honest, I don't see street performers making enough to live. "Tipping" doesn't exist in Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
08-25-2010, 09:52 PM

Its not common to see people playing for money, most play for fun or promoting there Cd`s

have a look in this thread

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-26-2010, 01:21 AM

I know a few street performers, but they all have regular jobs, they play mainly for fun, and not the small amount of money which people sometimes leave them. Without regular employment you won't be able to get an apartment, and even cheap hotels are expensive. You might find someone who will let you stay with them, but such arrangements are hard to make in advance of your coming to Japan. And don't forget that to get even a tourist visa immigration is going to require a valid address for your hotel or apartment on your entry forms.

Once you get set up and start playing you'll have to be aware that the police may come along and chase you away at any time. And in the places where there is the most money to be made (in front of stations, etc.) you'll probably find that there are already other performers there whom you will have to compete with. It's not an easy life, so you'd better have a real source of income available to you before you try it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Reeffrog (Offline)
New to JF

08-26-2010, 03:54 PM

Ok, thanks a lot for the info. It seems that there's a lot of things to consider about. I would be having a good tourist budget for a longer stay so I probably will try it anyway. But with a bit different priorities then (gotta start learning about the live music club scene).

Thanks again!

If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern.

Last edited by Reeffrog : 08-26-2010 at 03:59 PM.