JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DanRanger (Offline)
New to JF

Working/Living in Osaka - 08-31-2010, 06:38 PM

Hi,

I am a recent graduate, from Scotland, UK, who finds himself with the prospect of a job offer in Osaka. I started doing some serious research today and basically realised that I really don't know much about the realities of living in Japan. I've always been interested in Japan, and have learned mostly from film/anime (and some old Alan Booth books). Am I ready for the culture shock of a move?

Basically, I'm asking a few key questions and asking for some kind advice in general. My main issues are:

1. I don't speak Japanese. How difficult will it be to learn and integrate, while juggling the job (which is technical and may require a lot of study)?

2. What is the corporate culture like? I understand there are longer hours than in the West, which I have no problem with - I'm more interested in things like "office politics", etiquette, etc.

3. Cost of living - what will I need, roughly, to survive for a couple of months, until the pay cheques start coming in?

To my advantage, I would be working in an international department and be working mostly in English. Also, the company provides help with accommodation, etc.

To my disadvantage, I am not well-travelled and not naturally "extrovert", although I try to be very sociable and have a wide range of interests and hobbies. Hopefully I don't get mistaken for unfriendly because of my Scottish mannerisms and lack of language skills!

I would particularly like to hear form any Brits with similar experiences, but any general advice is greatly appreciated, and sorry for the rather long post!

Thanks a lot,

Dan