JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LizzieRobinson (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to LizzieRobinson
Moving to Japan !! Need some help - 08-31-2010, 09:20 PM

Anyone willing to befriend A Canadian girl !?

I landed a English teaching job and Im 18 ! Im going to be 19 when I go though !

And Ive been studying the Japanese culture for 3 years now !

I was just hoping to get some guidence while im in Japan? Make some friends before I go? Get some help showing me around.

Im either in Yokohama or Osaka !

So does this sort of thing happen? Or am I dreaming lol?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-31-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieRobinson View Post

I landed a English teaching job and Im 18 ! Im going to be 19 when I go though !

I was just hoping to get some guidence while im in Japan? Make some friends before I go? Get some help showing me around.

I have to ask, but how did you manage to get a teaching job without a degree or already being in the country?

And eighteen is so very young to move abroad on your own, I'm very pleased for you, but I hope that you're going to be alright. Studying the culture will help somewhat, but it'll be good if you can study the language too, because being in a foriegn country without speaking the language is a very, very hard thing, and life will be much easier if you speak some Japanese - even if it's just a little.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-31-2010, 09:25 PM

Seeing that 95% of the user base lives outside of Japan, you'd probably be better off on the other sites if you're looking for friends who currently reside in Japan.

What part of Canada are you from? And when are you leaving for Japan?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
LizzieRobinson (Offline)
New to JF

08-31-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I have to ask, but how did you manage to get a teaching job without a degree or already being in the country?

And eighteen is so very young to move abroad on your own, I'm very pleased for you, but I hope that you're going to be alright. Studying the culture will help somewhat, but it'll be good if you can study the language too, because being in a foriegn country without speaking the language is a very, very hard thing, and life will be much easier if you speak some Japanese - even if it's just a little.
Oh I know some basic Japanese just not fluent in Japanese.

To be honest I just applied to many different places and I must have emailed over 40 of them !

And I found one that didnt require me to have a degree ( I know its rare) and there going to sign for my work visa !

Ive been living in Canada on my own since I was 15 !
I know what its like to depend on myself for everything.
And Ive met tons of international students that have helped me with learning about Japan!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
LizzieRobinson (Offline)
New to JF

08-31-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Seeing that 95% of the user base lives outside of Japan, you'd probably be better off on the other sites if you're looking for friends who currently reside in Japan.

What part of Canada are you from? And when are you leaving for Japan?
Im from British Columbia but I now live in Ontario!
And in July.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kareemjojohn (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to kareemjojohn Send a message via Yahoo to kareemjojohn Send a message via Skype™ to kareemjojohn
09-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:

I appreciate your work girl, I can't believe you were by your own from 15! how did you managed to do everything?? I started my carrier when i was 18, people around me were telling me that i am still very young to work!..

I am not reside in Japan but planning to go and live in Japan in the future , I am from the Hunza (Karakorum) Pakistan, these days i am living in Islamabad Pakistan for my business purpose, You're are most welcome to my friends world if you want to make friends outside Japan!

Wish you best of luck for your bright future...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
And I found one that didnt require me to have a degree ( I know its rare) and there going to sign for my work visa !
They're sponsoring you for a work visa? That's pretty unusual but ultimately, it's the ministry of foreign affairs which will give them the final approval.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck in your travels.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-01-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Oh I know some basic Japanese just not fluent in Japanese.

To be honest I just applied to many different places and I must have emailed over 40 of them !

Ive been living in Canada on my own since I was 15 !
I know what its like to depend on myself for everything.
And Ive met tons of international students that have helped me with learning about Japan!
I am curious, would you be willing to share the name of the company you will be working for? In what capacity will you be working? What are your hours going to be? I hope you have researched this company thoroughly as there are scam companies out there.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-01-2010, 11:37 PM

Are you sure you don`t mean that you`re going on a working holiday visa?
Because, you know, that would be much more plausible - not to mention I find it kind of unthinkable that a company who would know enough about visas to op to get one for you wouldn`t know about and take advantage of that one...

I am siding with MMM. You need to check the company out very deeply - A 19 year old girl is just the type of person for a predatory fake company to jump onto.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.