JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DanRanger (Offline)
New to JF

Any Brits? - 09-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Hi,

I'm from Scotland and might be moving to Osaka pretty soon... just wondering if there are any Brits who would care to share their experience of Japan?

Of course, I'd be happy to hear from anyone else as well!

Cheers,

Dan
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-01-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRanger View Post
Hi,

I'm from Scotland and might be moving to Osaka pretty soon... just wondering if there are any Brits who would care to share their experience of Japan?

Of course, I'd be happy to hear from anyone else as well!

Cheers,

Dan
There's a few of us knocking around. Generally living in Japan is the same for anyone, British or no, although, there are a few stereotypes for British people you may infrequently come across, like being noble and quiet, and possibly still being upset over Diana. Oh yes, and confusing British with specifically 'English'.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
DanRanger (Offline)
New to JF

09-01-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
There's a few of us knocking around. Generally living in Japan is the same for anyone, British or no, although, there are a few stereotypes for British people you may infrequently come across, like being noble and quiet, and possibly still being upset over Diana. Oh yes, and confusing British with specifically 'English'.
I've encountered a few of these before on holiday lol, not in Japan either. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about!

So you live in Japan, yeah? What would you say are the main differences from the UK (aside from the obvious language/culture things)?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-01-2010, 05:47 PM

That isn't a stereotype I necessarily saw fulfilled in Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I've encountered a few of these before on holiday lol, not in Japan either. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about!

So you live in Japan, yeah? What would you say are the main differences from the UK (aside from the obvious language/culture things)?
Actually i'm in the UK. I lived in Osaka a couple of years ago.

Trains are clean and run on time, the tube in Japan is an air-conditioned heaven. Distinct lack of mangy pigeons.

Total unavailability of cheap wine or cheese that isn't rubbish plastic cheese. No cider to be seen. Beer on tap tends to be pale ale or larger.

Most people seem to actually uses the pajamas they own.

In winter you will never be more grateful for a heated toilet seat.

Eating out is cheap compared to here.

Buses you often pay getting off, not getting on, so be sure to check you have the fare!

They don't call time in bars some places. They just wait for you to go home before they shut.

You really have to be more aware of how noisy you are, especially walking around at night, because it's easier to disturb people, and lots of working people go to bed early in the 'burbs.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
That isn't a stereotype I necessarily saw fulfilled in Japan.
hence I said 'infrequently', and with all due respect, you're not British.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-01-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
hence I said 'infrequently', and with all due respect, you're not British.
It was just an observation of my experience of in Japan.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
DanRanger (Offline)
New to JF

09-01-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Actually i'm in the UK. I lived in Osaka a couple of years ago.

Trains are clean and run on time, the tube in Japan is an air-conditioned heaven. Distinct lack of mangy pigeons.

Total unavailability of cheap wine or cheese that isn't rubbish plastic cheese. No cider to be seen. Beer on tap tends to be pale ale or larger.

Most people seem to actually uses the pajamas they own.

In winter you will never be more grateful for a heated toilet seat.

Eating out is cheap compared to here.

Buses you often pay getting off, not getting on, so be sure to check you have the fare!

They don't call time in bars some places. They just wait for you to go home before they shut.

You really have to be more aware of how noisy you are, especially walking around at night, because it's easier to disturb people, and lots of working people go to bed early in the 'burbs.
Great, this is the kind of non-obvious thing I'm trying to find out about! Things that you only find out by being there.

Cheers
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-01-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Great, this is the kind of non-obvious thing I'm trying to find out about! Things that you only find out by being there.

Cheers
No worries. If have any more specific questions about Osaka, feel free. Several people on here have lived there, and for much longer than I have *points up at MMM*, so we can probably answer most things.

Oh! No decent black tea. You can get liptons (which is cheap and foul) or twinnings (which is over priced) so if you're like me and can't compromise on a cuppa, BYO tea bags.

And if you're a sausage fan, steel yourself, they're nothing like British bangers. I'm sure I'll think of more things later.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
DanRanger (Offline)
New to JF

09-01-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
No worries. If have any more specific questions about Osaka, feel free. Several people on here have lived there, and for much longer than I have *points up at MMM*, so we can probably answer most things.

Oh! No decent black tea. You can get liptons (which is cheap and foul) or twinnings (which is over priced) so if you're like me and can't compromise on a cuppa, BYO tea bags.

And if you're a sausage fan, steel yourself, they're nothing like British bangers. I'm sure I'll think of more things later.
Great shout about the tea, that's a must have. I can survive without most other things, lol.