JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

The Truth - 09-05-2010, 03:19 PM

I've followed Kevin Cooney for a while now, but this is the first time something he's published has hit so close to home. As I myself don't follow the norm of what is assumed for those who live/want to live in Japan, this article really sticks out to me.

I'm Here, Aren't I? - J-BLOGGERS - jibtv

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
09-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Thanks for posting, this one is really great and true for where ever you end up!

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
V1nn1 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2010, 07:56 PM

I liked the article! But you don't need reasons for everything right . I have my reasons anyways , but it will probably not sound 'right' like said in the article.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-05-2010, 09:09 PM

Why would someone be offended if they ask you why you came to Japan? I was asked many times and it never bothered me. I felt like some people who live in Japan some negative feelings about it and couldn't understand why someone would want to move out of their home country to move into Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Bluemonkey101021 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Bluemonkey101021
09-05-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Why would someone be offended if they ask you why you came to Japan? I was asked many times and it never bothered me. I felt like some people who live in Japan some negative feelings about it and couldn't understand why someone would want to move out of their home country to move into Japan.
My take on this is that the question becomes a means for self justification. Im sure many japanese have heard the same story over and over about why a "gaijin" is in their country, and with that in mind, it may become uncomfortable for some to have to keep justifying their reasons for being in a country they aren't immediately welcomed in. Granted, not many japanese are openly social anyway, especially not to foreigners. I can see how it may seem like a loaded question at times given the circumstances involved.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-06-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonkey101021 View Post
My take on this is that the question becomes a means for self justification. Im sure many japanese have heard the same story over and over about why a "gaijin" is in their country, and with that in mind, it may become uncomfortable for some to have to keep justifying their reasons for being in a country they aren't immediately welcomed in. Granted, not many japanese are openly social anyway, especially not to foreigners. I can see how it may seem like a loaded question at times given the circumstances involved.
I would be surprised if many Japanese have heard the "same story over and over." Japanese who spend lots of time with lots of different foreigners likely don't care why someone came to Japan. It's people meeting a foreigner for the first time who is asking something like that.

Many Japanese are openly social, that is just a stereotype.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-06-2010, 02:59 AM

Never had an issue with the question myself. My reasons for being here have changed little over the years. I love snow, mountains and skiing and Hokkaido is truly awesome for all 3. Living nearby and working at a ski resort has always been a dream of mine and I got to realise that dream here in Japan. I love the simple lifestyle of living in a rural region and the great community here, most people for reasons similar to mine. It's cheap, safe and a hell of a lot of fun. I've travelled a lot and don't know many other places in the world where I could live a life better than I live here.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-06-2010, 02:59 AM

To be fair, teachers will ask that question as much as any body else, if not more... I would suspect that teachers have met loads of ALTs. I've had a couple of people ask me if I was here because of anime and manga before, because I think that's the answer they were expecting.

It definitely depends on the way it is asked, by whom it is asked, and when and where it is asked. I've had people ask me mid conversation before, which is obviously rude. If the person shows a genuine interest then it's no big deal. I think that is the case most of the time.

Unfortunately, you sometimes get strange follow up questions. Like the, "what about your own country?"/"Don't they have that over there?" type questions. I think another thing that this boils down to is that a lot of Japanese people are really into western countries... so they may be holding those countries on a pedestal the same way a lot of foreigners do to Japan. If that is the case, then maybe some of the people literally are looking for some kind of justification.

I would agree that it isn't something to get offended about. However, I do think that it can be a rude question given the circumstance.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

09-06-2010, 04:18 AM

I honestly don't get this question that much by Japanese, it's usually other foreigners outside of Japan (like during my preparation to move here). People would ask me "Why Japan?," and unfortunately follow that with the question "So are you like into anime and stuff?" 9/10 times.
It's like people wanted me to justify why I was going there, but the connotation of their voice wasn't curious as much as it was resentment.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#10 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-06-2010, 04:44 AM

I have almost never been asked that question by friends at home. Of course all my friends are quite aware of my obsession with snow and skiing and most are skiers themselves so are well aware of the incredible snowfalls of Hokkaido. Most are more than a little envious of my move here.