JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Dmentor (Offline)
New to JF

Japan bound next month - a couple of questions - 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM

Hi all! I just got my WHV for Japan and should arrive in the lovely city of Fukuoka late October. I wonder if anybody can aid my search for medium term accomodation. Im looking to spend at least two months in Fukuoka and primarily want an apartment by myself, but will consider sharing if i cant find a decent apartment or cant find one in my price range (65000 to 70000 yen a month max inclusive of utilities). Does anybody have details of accomodation agencies that serve that region. I have already viewed some apartments on the Leopalace website and they seem reasonable however they seem to show the monthly rent on a chintai contract.

Also for those who came to Japan without a job that secures acoomodation for you, did you find it better to sort out accomodation before you hit Japan or more beneficial to come to Japan, stay in a hotel/hostel for a couple of days and search for a place Nippon side?

I have another question about mobile phones. Is it possible to purchase a prepaid sim or can you only rent one? A search on google seem to indicate that renting is the only way.

My third and final question is about jobs. What are typical Working Holiday Visa jobs and is it better to apply abroad or when i actually hit Japan ?

Apologies if these kinda questions have been asked before, thank you for reading and any feedback will be appreciated
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
09-13-2010, 01:23 PM

With the WHV you will be able to get a mobile phone, but only once you got your Alien card. You will need to apply for this card in the first 90 days anyway. I did get a prepaid phone from Softbank and was quite happy with this. For only 300yen a month you can send unlimited email up to 300kb each (they use it like sms in Japan).

A typical job would be teaching english. Finding work otherwise will be difficult but possible, but might require a basic knowledge of Japanese and will probably pay less than teaching. I´d try to find a job once you are in Japan, but if you are really short on money you could have a look before arriving.

When i came to Japan i was in a homestay the first month and than started travelling. It was a good choice to have a place the first few days but if you want to rent a place i´d recommend to try to find one once you´re there. You can have a look online whats available and maybe already contact someone but go and see the place yourself before you rent it. You won´t know where it is if you just look on a map and you wont know if there is good transport close by and if it will be close to your work or not.

Sorry i don´t know about renting appartments in Fukuoka and i don´t know about prices either but in central Tokyo you´d just get a nice room in a guesthouse for this price...

Ma recommodation for the start is: If you´ve never been to Fukuoka before than make a reservation for the first 5 to 10 days in a cheap hotel or a youth hostel. After arriving spent at least 3 days just exploring the city and the country without worriyng about a job or a place to stay and than start looking afterwards. So you can avoide having a rough start in a different culture because you´ll need a few days/weeks to get used to the country and culture and to loose your jetlag.

Enjoy!
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, i´ve been on a WHV for 1 year as well!

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-13-2010, 05:24 PM

Is teaching English common for WHV holders? I don't know, we don't have it in the US. I thought WHV did more temporary work, like hotel staff, or things like that that didn't need gov't approval.

Renting an apartment on your own can be difficult and expensive. If you really are going for a short shot I would look at guest houses or someone looking for a roommate.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Dmentor (Offline)
New to JF

A few more questions - 09-15-2010, 07:39 AM

Firstly thank you Firebird and MMM for your quick and helpful responses

Firebird I have been to Fukuoka on four seperate occassions so I am familiar with the place however I will follow your suggestion of taking it easy for the first few days before thinking about job/accomodation/mobile/bank etc. Did you do teaching on your WHV and if so did you have any prior teaching experience before Japan.

MMM I agree with your point about renting on your own can be expensive. I only want to do it for the first 2 months while I still have money and know that i will be based in Fukuoka. After the two months I will start exploring the rest of Japan, therefore numerous hostels will my abode! Are guesthouses similar to hostels?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
09-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Hey, you are welcome

If you have been to Fukuoka before than you won´t need that much time to get around after arriving!

No i did not teach as i´m not a native speaker (i´m german) and i didn´t want to teach actually. Why i suggested teaching is following: When i did the WHV 2 years ago there was a governemt run company helping people with the WHV. In there office there were job offers for this visa and 95% where teaching jobs. Others where jobs for short term (1 day on a movie set or similar) or requested good japanese. So i assume it is possible to work as a teacher with this visa. And you could also do private lessons if everything else fails.
I did work in a hotel in the mountains and i worked for the trendscouts in Tokyo, i got kinda lucky getting this 2 jobs
I think you will need some time finding a job, but don´t worry to much.
For some jobs you will need good japanese and they only job easy to get beside teaching was working in Roppongi in some shady bar, but i didn´t want to do that.

A guesthouse is not exactly like a hostel. Usually a guesthouse rents out room starting 1 month +
Ususally u get ur own room and will share the bathroom + kitchen. You´ll also find a living room with a kitchen. Some of the guesthouses have dorm rooms wich are cheaper.
Guesthouses are generally not cheap cheap, but ok and you will not need a japanese guarantor, they are ok to rent to foreigners and usually used to it, there is not key money, only a deposit that you get returned and its a great oportunity to meet other people and eventually someone might even know a job for you!

Well, wish you all the best

Firebird

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)