JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Claiming packeges sent from the Philippines (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/34006-claiming-packeges-sent-philippines.html)

ceruleanwoes 09-25-2010 12:08 PM

Claiming packeges sent from the Philippines

Hi, I'd like to ask what is the process of claiming packages which have been sent from the Philippines?

I'll be studying in Kobe College for a year, and my family will be sending me two boxes which contain my clothes, shoes, toiletries, food, etc. via the Philippine Postal Service through air courier.

Would I be required to pay taxes upon claiming the packages?

Is it possible to have the packages delivered?

Thank you, and I hope to hear from you soon :ywave:

Sangetsu 09-26-2010 02:11 AM

Sending packages to Japan is not difficult. I shipped 4 large boxes containing everything from shoes to kitchenware and did not have to pay any duties on it, even though the shipping cost was more than $100 per box.

You should send your boxes by priority mail if possible, as they will be tracked and less likely to be lost. The cost is higher, but the packages will clear customs more quickly.

utsu 09-26-2010 03:40 PM

Also, there is a different option - unaccompanied luggage.
I had to ship our belongings like that, just to be sure to avoid customs duties.

When you arrive in Japan, you fill out a landing/customs form, there is a box there for "unaccompanied luggage". Check it, that way the customs guys are aware that there will be additional shipments coming.

I used an air shipping company, the downside was I had to collect the boxes at the airport myself. But it was cheap and hassle free when it came to customs clearances. I sent 12 huge plastic bins as unaccompanied luggage last year.

In the past I was been asked to pay customs duties even on my own stuff shipped to me in other ways (priority mail, FedEx, etc) and explaining that it was my stuff, used and old, was a nightmare.
But I guess it all depends on what you want to send.

ceruleanwoes 09-28-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utsu (Post 830598)
Also, there is a different option - unaccompanied luggage.
I had to ship our belongings like that, just to be sure to avoid customs duties.

When you arrive in Japan, you fill out a landing/customs form, there is a box there for "unaccompanied luggage". Check it, that way the customs guys are aware that there will be additional shipments coming.

I used an air shipping company, the downside was I had to collect the boxes at the airport myself. But it was cheap and hassle free when it came to customs clearances. I sent 12 huge plastic bins as unaccompanied luggage last year.

In the past I was been asked to pay customs duties even on my own stuff shipped to me in other ways (priority mail, FedEx, etc) and explaining that it was my stuff, used and old, was a nightmare.
But I guess it all depends on what you want to send.

But which is better, I opt for the unaccompanied baggage and then claim it at the airport, or just let our post office mail the package to the nearest post office in Nishinomiya? I'm trying to avoid paying custom duties but at the same time finding a way to send my stuff the quickest, easiest and cheapest possible way.

utsu 09-29-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceruleanwoes (Post 830903)
But which is better, I opt for the unaccompanied baggage and then claim it at the airport, or just let our post office mail the package to the nearest post office in Nishinomiya? I'm trying to avoid paying custom duties but at the same time finding a way to send my stuff the quickest, easiest and cheapest possible way.

That I am not sure, as I don't know how much it would cost to ship packages as air cargo from the Philippines to KIX.

samokan 09-29-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceruleanwoes (Post 830445)
Hi, I'd like to ask what is the process of claiming packages which have been sent from the Philippines?

I'll be studying in Kobe College for a year, and my family will be sending me two boxes which contain my clothes, shoes, toiletries, food, etc. via the Philippine Postal Service through air courier.

Would I be required to pay taxes upon claiming the packages?

Is it possible to have the packages delivered?

Thank you, and I hope to hear from you soon :ywave:

hmm, actually rather than asking here, u might get better info on how to do this if you ask around in the Church located in Sannomiya.

Basically, I have never sent anything from the Philippines. I find it useless, all the things that I would need can be bought in Japan and quality is much better.

btw, Philippine Airline allows U to bring 20 kilos worth of baggage plus carry on luggage which is about 7 kilos..