JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Discussion: Foreigners in Japan 二本に外国人 (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/34035-discussion-foreigners-japan-%E4%BA%8C%E6%9C%AC%E3%81%AB%E5%A4%96%E5%9B%BD%E4%BA%BA.html)

Swordmaster 09-28-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuRaSaKiiNkI (Post 830769)
Thanks Swordmaster. I've also heard about discrimination, especially in the country. However, I'm still looking forward to studying abroad next semester, and hopefully I can check it out for myself while I'm there. I appreciate the advice!

No thanks needed. At least you're not Japanese and unable to speak it (I bet I'll get an earful when I'm over there...)

I was wondering - please excuse me if I had missed a tidbit of info - where exactly are you heading to teach (in Japan, I mean)? I mean, if you're going to Tokyo for 2011/2012, then I can pop by and say hi while I'm at the ICU - if everything goes well, that is.

Ah, this reminds me... be mindful of your surroundings and don't go out late at night.... I wouldn't want you to run into some of the weirdos of the night.

I'll end my post at that before lack of sleep make me any less coherent.

MMM 09-28-2010 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordmaster (Post 830845)
Ah, this reminds me... be mindful of your surroundings and don't go out late at night.... I wouldn't want you to run into some of the weirdos of the night.

I would feel much safer walking around downtown Tokyo, Osaka, or any other city in Japan late at night than I would in London, New York, Los Angeles, or even my hometown of Portland, OR.

Swordmaster 09-28-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 830846)
I would feel much safer walking around downtown Tokyo, Osaka, or any other city in Japan late at night than I would in London, New York, Los Angeles, or even my hometown of Portland, OR.

Hah, I suppose you have a good point there. But there's just the word of caution. Weird people are everywhere... they could be among your friends - your family - they could even be you.

Alright, I'll stop trying to spook her. But seriously, y'gotta be careful.

MMM 09-28-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordmaster (Post 830848)
Hah, I suppose you have a good point there. But there's just the word of caution. Weird people are everywhere... they could be among your friends - your family - they could even be you.

Alright, I'll stop trying to spook her. But seriously, y'gotta be careful.

You should be careful anywhere, that is true.

MuRaSaKiiNkI 09-29-2010 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordmaster (Post 830845)
No thanks needed. At least you're not Japanese and unable to speak it (I bet I'll get an earful when I'm over there...)

I was wondering - please excuse me if I had missed a tidbit of info - where exactly are you heading to teach (in Japan, I mean)? I mean, if you're going to Tokyo for 2011/2012, then I can pop by and say hi while I'm at the ICU - if everything goes well, that is.

I'll end my post at that before lack of sleep make me any less coherent.

Oh, and I am half-Japanese, and my last name's Nakamura 中村 lol XD. I don't know where I'm teaching, I haven't graduated yet, and I still have at least a year more to go. I'm studying abroad in January-May 2011. After that, who knows? I probably won't teach in Tokyo though, but somewhere on Northern Honshu in a suburban or rural area.

Lol, if I can walk around NY, Chicago, San Fran, and Detroit at night, I think I can handle yakuza and other crazies. Of course, I'll be careful, but I tend to stay around crowds of people in a new place anyway. I'm not that adventurous!

edit: or stupid.

GoNative 09-29-2010 05:29 AM

I get along with the Yakuza up this way really well. I've spent enough money in some of their bars and karaoke establishments in town over the years to demand some little respect ;)

Swordmaster 09-29-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuRaSaKiiNkI (Post 830970)
Oh, and I am half-Japanese, and my last name's Nakamura 中村 lol XD. I don't know where I'm teaching, I haven't graduated yet, and I still have at least a year more to go. I'm studying abroad in January-May 2011. After that, who knows? I probably won't teach in Tokyo though, but somewhere on Northern Honshu in a suburban or rural area.

Lol, if I can walk around NY, Chicago, San Fran, and Detroit at night, I think I can handle yakuza and other crazies. Of course, I'll be careful, but I tend to stay around crowds of people in a new place anyway. I'm not that adventurous!

edit: or stupid.

Sweet, we're in the same boat. My last name is shared by a (somewhat notable singer, whose first name is Shion). If you were only going abroad in September 2011-April 2012; we'd be going during the same terms. Ah well.

I'm still a lowly 2nd year, anyways... I'll wait a few years before I begin teaching. When you've gotten an awesome teaching job, over there, you've gotta give me some tips before I make a total fool of myself.

As for the crazies... crazies are crazies, be careful about them. It never hurts to be too careful.

MuRaSaKiiNkI 09-30-2010 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoNative (Post 830977)
I get along with the Yakuza up this way really well. I've spent enough money in some of their bars and karaoke establishments in town over the years to demand some little respect ;)

lol, so if I ever get into a jam, I'll just message you on here and you'll back me up, right? XD