JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

Send a message via Skype™ to MuRaSaKiiNkI
Discussion: Foreigners in Japan 二本に外国人 - 09-27-2010, 01:11 AM

I've been learning Japanese for three years, which isn't much. Pretty soon I'll be graduating from college and, hopefully, teaching English overseas in Japan. I've always wanted to live for at least a year in Japan, but I'm worried about infringing on the citizens, and any people already teaching there. I know Japan is a small island, and overpopulated already, and more and more people are fleeing for Japan in these troubling economic times.

Therefore, I'm wondering, even though I've wanted to live there for a long time, what's the situation over there? Is there still a need for English teachers? I'm interested in hearing from everyone.

すみません、日本語が悪いよ。。。三年間、日本語を勉 強しました。来年、大学を卒業して、日本へ英語を教え て行くつもりです。一年間、日本に住みたいですが、安 心しています。日本は小さい島で、たくさんの人があり ます。毎日、もっと人が日本へ行っているので。。。

そして、日本に住みたいですが。。。いいですか。英語 の先生がまだほしいですか。英語を書いてください。 (I probably butchered that, but I'm still interested in practicing my Japanese. I'm open to corrections!)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-27-2010, 01:22 AM

Lots of other threads with info on this. It's a tough market at the moment with far more people looking for english teaching jobs than there are available.
I reckon if you want to teach english overseas China is your best bet now with a surge in demand for english teachers there. A bit like what is was like in Japan many years ago.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-27-2010, 04:21 PM

Applying for the JET program is probably the best way to go.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRaSaKiiNkI View Post
I've been learning Japanese for three years, which isn't much. Pretty soon I'll be graduating from college and, hopefully, teaching English overseas in Japan. I've always wanted to live for at least a year in Japan, but I'm worried about infringing on the citizens, and any people already teaching there. I know Japan is a small island, and overpopulated already, and more and more people are fleeing for Japan in these troubling economic times.

Therefore, I'm wondering, even though I've wanted to live there for a long time, what's the situation over there? Is there still a need for English teachers? I'm interested in hearing from everyone.
I don't understand why "infringing on the citizens" means. Japan is a group of islands, and the majority of the country is not overcrowded or overpopulated at all. People are fleeing Japan? Where are you hearing these stories?

There will always be a need for English teachers, but it is a competitive field, and getting more so as the population dips and as people are staying longer in their positions to wait out the world's poor financial situation.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-27-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I don't understand why "infringing on the citizens" means. Japan is a group of islands, and the majority of the country is not overcrowded or overpopulated at all. People are fleeing Japan? Where are you hearing these stories?
I think he's afraid that Japan might tip over and capsize like Guam.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

09-27-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
I think he's afraid that Japan might tip over and capsize like Guam.
Not necessarily, and I'm a woman. I'm more worried about job openings, living space, and attitudes towards foreign people.

Last edited by MuRaSaKiiNkI : 09-27-2010 at 11:21 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

09-27-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

There will always be a need for English teachers, but it is a competitive field, and getting more so as the population dips and as people are staying longer in their positions to wait out the world's poor financial situation.
Infringing is unwelcome pressure on the citizens' space. I've just always heard of Japan being very crowded, especially around the busy cities of Tokyo, Osaka, and Fukuoka. I'm saying people are fleeing from America, we have a poor economy right now, and a lot of my classmates and friends want to leave the country to others, mainly Japan for some reason.

Yeah, I heard that it was getting competitive, and the economy isn't much better than America right now (which makes it odd Americans want to teach there). But, with the economic situation, population, and competition, I was just concerned about whether there was a need for English teachers anymore. Thanks for answering my question.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Swordmaster (Offline)
JF Regular

09-27-2010, 11:32 PM

I couldn't help but notice that you mentioned overpopulation was a concern, among other things such as butting in on the teachers already there.

Let me say this, even if it's already been said:

Currently, Japan is in a rather turbulent period. With the dropping birthrates and mass of elderly people, the population is thinning out and will be on a steep decline if action isn't taken. The Japanese government is trying to solve this by stocking up on people, so-to-speak. This means that exchange students, foreign teachers, workers and the likes will be in more demand.

Not only are they searching for ways to solve their population problem, but Japan is in the middle of a major business transition. As of recent, many Japanese companies are prodding their employees to become proficient in English due to the practical implications in the business world - seeing as how English is pretty much an international language.

You should do quite well if you exploit these points.

You'll be fine; just watch out for the abundant discrimination/disposition of the populace - so I hear.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MuRaSaKiiNkI (Offline)
一番村ちゃん

09-27-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster View Post
I couldn't help but notice that you mentioned overpopulation was a concern, among other things such as butting in on the teachers already there.

Let me say this, even if it's already been said:

Currently, Japan is in a rather turbulent period. With the dropping birthrates and mass of elderly people, the population is thinning out and will be on a steep decline if action isn't taken. The Japanese government is trying to solve this by stocking up on people, so-to-speak. This means that exchange students, foreign teachers, workers and the likes will be in more demand.

Not only are they searching for ways to solve their population problem, but Japan is in the middle of a major business transition. As of recent, many Japanese companies are prodding their employees to become proficient in English due to the practical implications in the business world - seeing as how English is pretty much an international language.

You should do quite well if you exploit these points.

You'll be fine; just watch out for the abundant discrimination/disposition of the populace - so I hear.
Thanks Swordmaster. I've also heard about discrimination, especially in the country. However, I'm still looking forward to studying abroad next semester, and hopefully I can check it out for myself while I'm there. I appreciate the advice!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-28-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuRaSaKiiNkI View Post
Infringing is unwelcome pressure on the citizens' space. I've just always heard of Japan being very crowded, especially around the busy cities of Tokyo, Osaka, and Fukuoka. I'm saying people are fleeing from America, we have a poor economy right now, and a lot of my classmates and friends want to leave the country to others, mainly Japan for some reason.

Yeah, I heard that it was getting competitive, and the economy isn't much better than America right now (which makes it odd Americans want to teach there). But, with the economic situation, population, and competition, I was just concerned about whether there was a need for English teachers anymore. Thanks for answering my question.
There are 10s of thousands of non-Japanese living in Japan, maybe more. If you like urban life, I think all three of those cities are pretty livable. Rarely have I thought "Gosh, it's so crowded" in any of those places except for aboard certain trains when I made the mistake of riding during the peak hours from the most busy station.

And I understand what you meant by "fleeing". Though the economic crisis isn't limited to the US.

English teaching has always been competitive. The economy doesn't really matter if you can get a job. People don't worry about world or country economies, they worry about personal economies. There is always a need for English teachers, but those positions aren't the "secret" they were a couple decades ago.