JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Littlerin (Offline)
New to JF

Sakura House, Apartments and living in Japan ? - 10-02-2010, 03:02 AM

Hey Everyone, : )

I have a few questions on living for a short period of time in Japan. About 2-3 months at the most.
First off I might be staying in Kobe as a teacher's assistant/ interning translator ( this half of my trip is still very much up in the air. A lot goes into something as serious as this unfortunately ) for about a month and a half or so. I am still unaware of my living conditions there, and have been looking just in case my host family doesn't pull through, or anything else goes wrong. As far as Kobe goes I haven't looked as much into housing or apartments for rent as I have in Tokyo. Which comes the second part of my trip. After my stay in Kobe ( still a question mark here) I'll be traveling (this part of my trip I will definitely be doing 100% ) into Tokyo and staying there for the remaining 1 month of my stay. Here is where I have a BUNCH of questions. I know that not just one person can answer all of my questions. But as long as you have a little bit of truthful information, I'd really appreciate it!
To make it a little bit easier I'll list my questions and the ones you can answer please do. : )

-Where in Tokyo is the best ward to stay in? Such as Shinjuku or Shibuya. I've heard that Tokyo is a relatively safe city. However keeping in mind that any place you go to is not ever really "safe". I haven't a clue what area to stay in. This will be a once in a life time opportunity for me, as in feeling and just enjoying everything. So I don't mind paying a tiny little bit more to be closer to the hustle and bustle. However I wouldn't mind walking or having it take me a little longer to get from place to place. I'd like to be close to shopping and things like that though.

-Housing/Apartments. Staying in Japan for a month means I do not want to stay or share a house or an apartment with another person. I've heard a lot about Sakura House. In the research I've done so many people say that their stay in the Sakura apartments was a pleasant one. However, looking back at all of the things I've found, most of these reviews were written in 2005-2006. Then going down to look at the newer comments left, people say they sucked and weren't worth all the money they spent on living there. If you have lived in the Sakura apartments in the last three years, how did you like it? Was it clean? In a safe ward? Would you stay there again? Would you say that I could find a better vacation apartment for the price of one of the Sakura apartments?

-Is there another apartment complex (or company ) that you would recommend over the Sakura housing? Or possibly a website that I can do better research on?

Another big problem for me is I am underage in Japan, and in the United States ( underage being 16 ). I was thinking of having a friend whom works for the airlines and will be checking in on me during my stay in Japan, check me into the apartment under her name or something like that and I will only live there. I'm not sure how greatly that would work out. I still need to go over many things (as you can see I'm only trying to gather as much information as possible at this point ).
Has anyone heard of or had a friend or yourself stay in Japan alone underage? I'm sure there has been, but I mean as far as renting goes?

-If I rented an apartment do all the amenities come with it? Such a cooking utensils and internet service? ( I understand I may have to pay an extra fee for these things )

-Would I have to pay an extra cost for heat and electricity?

-If I stay in a rented home and do not like the ward I'm in or home, can I back out of the contract?
Or it just depends on the apartment renting? Has this happened to anyone you know or yourself?
Will I be able to get my deposit back?

-In the apartment, would I be able to wash my clothing in the building? Or would I have to go to such place as a laundry mat?

- I'm sure you can, but this question I would like to just, again, collect more information.
Can I buy a monthly or weekly train pass or ticket like you can in such places as New York or Paris? When I stayed in Paris I was able to buy a 30day train pass or a weekly ticket that I could renew. Is this possible in Tokyo Japan? Would I have to buy a ticket every time I took the train? On average, how much do the train tickets cost?

-I'll be staying in Japan for Haname. Where in Kyoto is the best place to see the Cherry Blossoms in your own opinion? Do you have any photos if so?

-Okay this question may seem a little silly. I am used to Japanese food. However, nothing compares to authentic Japanese food. My problem being that when my mother was living in Japan for the second time, it was hard for her to eat some of the foods. Just sitting down at the table she said she would just lose her appetite. Is there any American food stores there? Like how in the US we have some oriental food stores, do they have the same in Japan? Haha I might just have to eat rice the whole time!

-Is there any great Japanese American cook books that I can purchase before I go so I know how to prepare some of the foods? If so, which would you recommend?

-If you've travel to Japan for an extended amount of time, on average how much did you spend in a week? I'd like to do some shopping, and I'll have some money for that. But things like cost of living and food, how much do you think you spent? ( I understand if you don't feel comfortable sharing this information )

These are only a few of my many questions, but thank you so much to anyone who was willing to sit down and answer even just one of my questions. : )

Thank you all so much again,

Erin

P.S. I've posted this question twice one this website. I'm not sure I'm supposed to do that? But I want to get it out to as many people as I possibly can.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-02-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
P.S. I've posted this question twice one this website. I'm not sure I'm supposed to do that? But I want to get it out to as many people as I possibly can.
You posted it three times. And no, you`re not supposed to. The others have been removed - please do not do it again.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-02-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlerin View Post
-Where in Tokyo is the best ward to stay in? Such as Shinjuku or Shibuya. I've heard that Tokyo is a relatively safe city. However keeping in mind that any place you go to is not ever really "safe". I haven't a clue what area to stay in. This will be a once in a life time opportunity for me, as in feeling and just enjoying everything. So I don't mind paying a tiny little bit more to be closer to the hustle and bustle. However I wouldn't mind walking or having it take me a little longer to get from place to place. I'd like to be close to shopping and things like that though.
First, I don`t know your financial situation... But... Why Tokyo?
Is there a specific reason you have to live in Tokyo and not somewhere else in the rest of Japan that is safer and cheaper? There are other cities - it`s not as if being outside Tokyo will remove you from everything interesting in the country.

Quote:
Has anyone heard of or had a friend or yourself stay in Japan alone underage? I'm sure there has been, but I mean as far as renting goes?
Consider any of the guest houses out, and any normal apartments also out. If your friend has a good income and is a resident in Japan, they may let you stay in an apartment rented by them - but generally it`s 18+. 16 is pretty much only if the parents rent the room. At 17 I could only get a school dorm room.

I think that this take precedence over ALL the other questions you`ve asked about rooms. It`s the first step, and a huge one. You need to worry about being ably to GET a room, not about the amenities and other minor things.

Quote:
Can I buy a monthly or weekly train pass or ticket like you can in such places as New York or Paris?
Yes, they sell them... But you will probably want to buy a prepaid card unless you really are travelling between the same two stations practically every day. The passes are for specific trips - station A to station B (and any stops between the two) and have different prices according to how far the stations are from each other. I don`t believe there is a city wide pass - the closest you will probably get would be a day pass for a specific line.

Quote:
-I'll be staying in Japan for Haname. Where in Kyoto is the best place to see the Cherry Blossoms in your own opinion? Do you have any photos if so?
You`ll be staying in Tokyo but going to Kyoto for Hanami? That`s quite a trip.

There are countless places all over Japan famous for cherry blossoms. If you want to go all out, look into Yoshinoyama in Nara.

Quote:
Is there any American food stores there? Like how in the US we have some oriental food stores, do they have the same in Japan? Haha I might just have to eat rice the whole time!
There are grocery stores selling pretty much everything. It will be pretty hard to find frozen/boxed US meals - but a potato is a potato, a carrot a carrot, chicken is chicken, pork is pork. This question comes up all the time - it is not at all hard to find all the ingredients you need for any typical American style meal at even the smallest grocery stores. Unless you are completely unable to survive without prepackaged microwave dinners...

Quote:
-If you've travel to Japan for an extended amount of time, on average how much did you spend in a week?
I`ve lived here for 11 years, and I would say I spend around US$1000 a week. :P
Back in college my husband and I got by on about that much a month. Cook, don`t waste utilities, and walk/bicycle everywhere you can and you can get by on quite little.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.