JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
PR0DiGY (Offline)
New to JF

Coming to jap? Read please :D - 04-17-2007, 02:16 AM

Hi guys

OK this will probably be a long post, as I am not really thinking of what to write, just writing what comes to my head.

First of all, last year I really wanted to learn Japanese, but I dunno, stupid nonsupporting parents

Anyway, I watch lots of anime and now I really really want to learn it, doesn't matter what they all say! This is not just because of the anime (of course not), I've always wanted to visit japan, not like a 3 week stay and such, more like a year, or as long as I can, the visa system is kinda stupid IMO.

I noticed there are so many people here that are aussies, like me, and have learnt quite abit of the language, which is cool! If anyone reads this, what kind of visa are you on?

I'm currently in year 11 at school (second last year), currently second term (we have 4 terms here in AUS, 2 semesters, 2 terms= 1 semester, sorry I dunno how school system is in other countries)

lol I know a few basic words from anime, once you keep hearing that it kinda just gets stuck to your head, Wouldn't be cool to watch jap anime without subtitles..

Moving on... I haven't taken any jap classes at school, I wanted to do it last year halfway but they wouldn't let me change into it, as it was too late, and this year the class was full , I'm not sure if its a good idea to take it in year 12 if I have never done it before, If I did take it, I definitely would study hart etc.. Any advice on this? Also maybe they wouldn't let me go into it in year 12 as I haven't done it in previous years.

Next thing, Exchange program.. I possibly can do an exchange thing out of school, First I need to learn as much Japanese as I can..

umm, I'm looking at accommodation on sakura-house, good apartment in tokyo for 80000 yen a month.. I wouldn't need an apartment if I was on exchange though.. it says it comes with free internet (DSL), how fast is 'DSL' in japan? (Speed is a big issue for me)

Next is visa.. What other types of visa can I go on? I guess the student visa would work like this??; College/uni takes you in, which grants you the visa?? can someone please give me more info?

Probably the last thing now, until I edit; any good resources for beginners? like online sites etc, I know books are a very big thing in this field and I will go to the library (for the first time in umm, 5 years or so), and get as many books on japan as I can (well not as many, max limit is 20 books at a time )

lol I see an advertisement for the '300' Bar, 'All drinks 315 yen, thats like 3 bucks AU 0.o, I'm only 16 though and I don't drink, anyway this is irrelevant to the topic.

I appreciate any help and advice on this, but please no put downs like 'WTFBBQ GIVE UP!!111'

Thanks so much for reading
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

04-17-2007, 02:55 AM

@Prodigy.. there is thread by Nyororin "I Live in Japan". Most of your question are already answered there. So if you have the time, check it out. You can get lots of info and advices from that thread

goodluck

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#3 (permalink))
Old
PR0DiGY (Offline)
New to JF

04-17-2007, 05:11 AM

The sticky thread?

I'll check it out when I get home, right now I'm at my multimedia course...

Thanks
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

04-17-2007, 05:19 AM

yes the sticky, it was made sticky for that purpose. Start reading from the first post..

Also for teaching in Japan, you can also refer to jasonbvr's thread "Teaching English in Japan".

My Japan Life

(#5 (permalink))
Old
PR0DiGY (Offline)
New to JF

04-17-2007, 05:33 AM

lol why would I teach english in japan at my age? :S Does that give me a different visa? or is there the age to become teacher or whatever, like 20 years old?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

04-17-2007, 05:49 AM

well, lots of student do some part-time jobs, and teaching english is one . though I think , they need to have some permission from their professor of something..

but who knows...

My Japan Life

(#7 (permalink))
Old
PR0DiGY (Offline)
New to JF

04-17-2007, 05:59 AM

Adopt me? I'll give you a cookie!

Well, it seems that she is insisting that no one becomes an english teacher LOL..

on page 7 now I'll do my multimedia later!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
averi50 (Offline)
Gone From JF

... - 04-17-2007, 08:16 PM

the word "jap" is a duragative term. please refraim from using it.
i find that extremely insulting since im japanese as well.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

04-18-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
well, lots of student do some part-time jobs, and teaching english is one . though I think , they need to have some permission from their professor of something..

but who knows...
I know...that is one thing I need to fix in my thread because you are correct. Students can get work permits amended to their student visas with the permission from their sponsor which in the case of students is the school they attend. Don't ask me specifics though, I don't know that answer.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
PR0DiGY (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2007, 03:19 AM

heh, lol I'm not an anime buff, I only watch naruto and about 5 other shows... (not over and over again )

And no, I don't think japan will be like what its all pictured in anime.

And I'm sorry for using that word, wont happen again.. thanks for informing me...

umm well, I might go there on an out of school exchange thing, and then probably go there with the 3 month's tourist visa...

I reallly reaaaaaaaly wanna go!!!! I just noticed on my way to class, we have so many japanese people in our school!!!!

Anyway, once again I'm sorry for using the 'Word', I don't want to say it again

Also, isn't anime a big thing in japan?? I don't know where anime series are originally made, but I guess most of them are made in japan??

I read somewhere most japanese people hate anime

oh, and in my first post I said I watch 'Lots', I consider it heaps because naruto has like 200+ episodes heh, I'm not like, an anime geek or anything, just when I have spare time I watch an episode or two.

I'm at the library now lol, going to borrow as many books as I can on japan!

Last edited by PR0DiGY : 04-18-2007 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Clarification.