JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mira (Offline)
JF Regular

I want to live in Japan.... - 10-07-2010, 12:28 AM

I am 16 right now living in America and I am trying to save up money and learn Japanese very hard because I want to be in Japan in two years. I really really want to live and work in Japan more than anything and I am willing to do whatever it takes. I have tried for so long to find information about how I can do this but none of it has been helpful. Japan is my dream and I have been trying so hard so that I can go there.
It's really a special place to me, I don't want to just go there just because it sounds interesting or looks nice, it's hard to explain but it holds a special place in my heart.

So PLEASE someone help me, what do I need to do and how do I get there? I am completely lost and I need some information!! How can a foreigner live and work in Japan?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-07-2010, 12:31 AM

Have you been reading this section?

Graduate from college if you want to live in Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-07-2010, 12:33 AM

If you are an American, you have to get a 4 year college degree in order to qualify for any work visa in Japan. So unless you have the money to go college in Japan you are just going to have to wait until you are 22, or finished with school. However if you are Australian or Canadian I believe you may be able to get a working holiday visa for a year or so. After that though, you may have to go back home if you do not have a degree.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
mira (Offline)
JF Regular

10-07-2010, 12:35 AM

if I can't work there without a college degree, can I go there to study? Some people have told me about doing that... how could I study there?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-07-2010, 12:42 AM

Umm well, without a scholarship or anything like that, the first thing you need is money. Is that an issue for you?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
mira (Offline)
JF Regular

10-07-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Umm well, without a scholarship or anything like that, the first thing you need is money. Is that an issue for you?
Well I am saving up a lot, and I am willing to save up however much I need, but how would I get a scholarship?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JustinRossTso (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-07-2010, 12:50 AM

Umm... yeah first thing I found out was to go to get a 4 year degree university or college. If you really want to go, then just work hard and get your 4 year degree!

The idea of going to Japan never occurred to me before, until now... when I'm 17 almost 18, last year of high school.

So that's... 6 years from now for you? and 5 years from now for me.

Things can change... and we might change our mind, so I suggest you plan as if you weren't going to Japan, but have the necessary requirements to get into Japan.

(I think learning Japanese is a must though... :S)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-07-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mira View Post
Well I am saving up a lot, and I am willing to save up however much I need, but how would I get a scholarship?
If you are saving up enough money to go to college in Japan for four years, I would keep doing that job!

There are even high school exchange programs for a few weeks or a semester. That might be a place to start.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-07-2010, 01:10 AM

To be honest it's an unrealistic goal.

However, lengthen your timeline (yeah it sucks I know) BUT ... do what you can now ! You're 16 ? ... look more seriously at it when you are 21 or older if your looking to move there.

Without a degree, you are out of luck on a work visa

Only way out of that

You're Bill Gates etc..

Marry a national ... and make no money at your job.

Or if you have the bucks, start your own business. Not cheap but another option.

Learn the language, you have the time, Japan isn't going anywhere and you should visit a few times before you "pull up stakes" so to speak.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-07-2010, 09:44 AM

@mira, I believe I share your dream. People that say "Oh, It's an unrealistic goal. It'll never work". Listen to them, but don't take their words too seriously. I, too, want to live in Japan. I'm 19 & done 2 years of studying I.T. at college. I'm currently on year 3 (HND level), looking at going to university next year. I will be doing my best to learn Japanese in the time while studying & on public holidays. I have looked at soooooooo much information. Whether it's 'Teach English as a foreign language in Japan', or studying I.T & pass a level N.2. Japanese Proficiency Test (which looks like requiring a lot of hard work). Truth is, it's a goal than can be reached. Foreigners have done it before & will do it in the future. But from what I've seen on the net, it requires commitment, patience & a hell of a lot of hard work, the 'Blood, sweat & tears' as one Machine Head song put it. lol. But, just think. In 5-10 years time, you could be waking up in a Tokyo suburb. I, for one, would love to have achieved that

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)