JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-13-2010, 11:42 PM

I didn`t say that Misericordias WAS an awful person - just that chances are they will be thought of as one for this... And that there isn`t really any easy way to get around it.

Quote:
I have no idea if there are thousands of feral cats in Japan? 0r what facilities there are for caring for cats and ensuring they are neutered etc.
Cats in Japan tend to be thought of as closer to pests than pets in most situations. People who have pet cats generally simply feed a cat who lives outdoors - a step away from being a stray. Or they have a very expensive purebred.
It is extremely difficult to find homes for mixed breed cats. Adoption from pet shelters is virtually unheard of. Not that they don`t try to find homes for the cats, but as homes accepting pets are so few it ends up being a futile effort. There also tends to be a huge problem with feral cats, which only strengthens the image of mixed breed cats not being pets.

Taking the cat to a shelter is a death sentence - I believe that the figure was 0.3% of animals put into a shelter are adopted.

Too many people take on pets irresponsibly. I really believe that this was a hugely irresponsible decision on Misericordias` part. An awful person? No. But very irresponsible, and this WILL effect how people think of them. The attention levels the kitten needs may have been a surprise, but surely the fact that Misericordias is a student, and wants to travel around Japan should not have been.

Quote:
And compared to dogs, cats are easy to take care, I can't really understand the problem. You only have to teach them where to go to the bathroom, and that is easy, because they always do their things after eating.
You have TWO cats. There is a huge difference. Two cats will play with each other, and use the other cat for companionship and attention. With a single cat, it is entirely the owner who must provide all of this.

Anyway - I say call the person who gave you the cat NOW and see if they even will be willing to take it back. It will result in them thinking badly of you, but even if it was just a mistake it is a mistake that was made so you need to deal with the consequences. If they CAN take the kitten back, then things have gone easily for you. If they refuse (which is a real possibility depending on their circumstances), you need to start looking for another potential owner ASAP. The bigger the kitten gets, the harder it will be to find someone willing to take it. Most people who do like cats tend to have already taken in a cat (as it`s so incredibly hard to find people who will keep cats, the small number of people who can and will tend to have already been begged by someone) - so the bigger the cat is the harder it will be to find someone responsible. A kitten can be introduced into a house with older cats, but once past a certain age the resident cats will treat them as an enemy.

As a last resort before a shelter - try here. There are tons of people searching for homes for kittens and rescued strays. You may get lucky in finding a home for your kitten.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-14-2010, 02:14 AM

Sounds like you really really screwed up Misericordias. If I were you, I'd apologize like crazy to the original owner and tell him/her that I was stupid but I didn't think it was good for me to keep the kitten any more either, and that I'd find a new owner myself but thought I should talk to the original owner first because I got the kitten from him/her. If the original owner took the kitten back, good. If not, you'd have to find a new owner. In any case, you should do it ASAP.

Last edited by cranks : 10-14-2010 at 02:19 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Misericordias (Offline)
JF Regular

10-14-2010, 01:21 PM

Well, I managed to find a new owner for the kitten. He's one of my very good friends here in Japan so I know that he will take care of the kitten really well. I am just happy that the kitten will get the owner she finally deserves instead of someone like me. But this entire fiasco was not without its upsides, too. I learned a lot about my character and it was revealed to me about what character flaws I need to fix.  Thank you everyone who provided me with rebukes and advice on how to tackle this situation.  
(#24 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-14-2010, 02:11 PM

HI Miseri--now hopefully Happi-- alls well that ends well. don't beat yourself up over it. You have been brave enough to post on here--

I am sure it is a lesson that has been learned.

Look after yourself and I wish you success in your studies.

thousands of people take on an animal on a whim without thinking things through-- thats why we have so many in rescue.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-14-2010, 02:25 PM

[quote=Nyororin;832811]I didn`t say that Misericordias WAS an awful person - just that chances are they will be thought of as one for this... And that there isn`t really any easy way to get around it.

(Cats in Japan tend to be thought of as closer to pests than pets in most situations. People who have pet cats generally simply feed a cat who lives outdoors - a step away from being a stray. Or they have a very expensive purebred.
It is extremely difficult to find homes for mixed breed cats. Adoption from pet shelters is virtually unheard of. Not that they don`t try to find homes for the cats, but as homes accepting pets are so few it ends up being a futile effort. There also tends to be a huge problem with feral cats, which only strengthens the image of mixed breed cats not being pets. NYRORORIN.)

thank goodness that here in Britain we do have many animal charities.

homes are found where possible-- they have to be checked out. It is essential to neuter these animals and cats can produce far too many kittens. No doubt many have to be put to sleep.
A friend of mine in Australia-- helps out at cat rescue-- they try to catch roaming cats and then have them neutered.

Its when animals are not neutered that we end up with far too many of them so the public need to be educated about it.

(Taking the cat to a shelter is a death sentence - I believe that the figure was 0.3% of animals put into a shelter are adopted.

(Too many people take on pets irresponsibly. I really believe that this was a hugely irresponsible decision on Misericordias` part. An awful person? No. But very irresponsible, and this WILL effect how people think of them. The attention levels the kitten needs may have been a surprise, but surely the fact that Misericordias is a student, and wants to travel around Japan should not have been. ) Nyrororin

(Therefore it was up to the person who gave him the cat to ask the right questions and not to allow him to have the cat in the first place)
If people make judgements on a person because they acted impulsively and irresponsibly then they should ask them selves How Perfect they are. Its all too easy to judge others. we learn in life and we all make mistakes-- hopefully we learn from them rather than repeat them.

who are we to judge others?

thnak goodness A good home has been found. By the way I do worry about the welfare of animals in Japan.

Here in UK we love Moggies-- (mixed breed cats) as much as any others.

Pedigree cats can cost a lot of money-- same with dogs or even horses-- I worry about welfare of horses very much.

Japan used to have a very bad name re caring for their pets. I do hope things have improved. sadly also here we have many people who abuse animals a lot------------ dog fighting etc.

Please forgive my bad editing-- I still have not got the knack of taking sections of quotations.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 10-14-2010 at 08:34 PM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-14-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Oh Jambo what a shame--you don't know what your missing.

Its the LOVe that matters.
I live on a farm currently, (and after I leave for uni, will never live on a farm again) so am surrounded by animals. I've had rabbits, hamsters and a cat before, when I was a child. But I'd say today, I'm more of a people person. Wait, scratch that. A foreign people person. lol

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Misericordias (Offline)
JF Regular

10-14-2010, 02:54 PM

Thank you Dogsbody70. However, not once did I perceive what any of the other people were saying at me were meant to insult me. They were harsh rebukes, I agree, but insults I firmly believe they were not. Nyororin has tremendously helped me in the past, and I don't believe that she would be the type of person to start insulting someone if they did something stupid (like me). I do appreciate what you are doing for me though, Dogsbody. It is not often I run across people on the internet willing to stand up for others.

I am also a dude- you know, just throwing that out there. I should probably change my avatar...naaah.

Edit: I wanted to include a picture of the cat that I so dearly wished to keep.

http://imgur.com/Yf6KH.jpg 

Her name is Yanagi.

Last edited by Misericordias : 10-14-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Additional Information
(#28 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-14-2010, 04:28 PM

OH help so soreeeeeeeeee!

sorry some time I go over the top. I am a passionate animal lover-- committed my whole adult life to them--

I hope I have not insulted anybody-- I was getting very worried about you actually.

anyway-- lets hope the kitten will have a secure life.

Often cats choose their own owners. If they do not like the place they are in, they think nothing of moving somewhere more suited to their tastes. Of course there are also those who have a very tough life.

Humans have responsibilities to all animals-- but that does not always happen.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-14-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
I live on a farm currently, (and after I leave for uni, will never live on a farm again) so am surrounded by animals. I've had rabbits, hamsters and a cat before, when I was a child. But I'd say today, I'm more of a people person. Wait, scratch that. A foreign people person. lol
Hi Jambo, I spent many years on farms and in stables apart from working with all breeds of dogs.

Maybe farmers are not so keen on pet animals although cats are necessary to keep the vermin down. as wel as the sheepdogs.

My upbringing made me anti Human beings really--- (I am improving in that aspect)so I turned especially to dogs. My latest puppy (affenpinscher) is such a delight and has improved my life a lot because I was very depressed

anyway Jambo Have a good life and career.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
AnthonyHisashi (Offline)
Metal Artist :D

Send a message via MSN to AnthonyHisashi
10-14-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Hi Jambo, I spent many years on farms and in stables apart from working with all breeds of dogs.

Maybe farmers are not so keen on pet animals although cats are necessary to keep the vermin down. as wel as the sheepdogs.

My upbringing made me anti Human beings really--- (I am improving in that aspect)so I turned especially to dogs. My latest puppy (affenpinscher) is such a delight and has improved my life a lot because I was very depressed

anyway Jambo Have a good life and career.
I have agoraphobia, i never went outside, so i started turning to cats. ^^
pretty much the same thing, but in the opposite haha