JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Misericordias (Offline)
JF Regular

Is this considered bad manners? - 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Hello once again- this time from Japan! It's been about a month since I have arrived in Japan and it's been a blast (although I live in an inaka ). However, I recently ran into a problem that I need the opinion of impartial people and people who understand Japanese way of thinking. Recently, I have come to acquire a kitten (keeping pets is ok at my place) and it's been an absolute darling. However, it was a rather impulsive descision, in which I did not delve deep and far enough of the consequences of owning a pet. For instance, I didn't realize how much of a distraction the kitten would pose for my studies which is something I really need to do in order to pass the nikyuu this December. This is only one of the many problems that I could not have foreseen or didn't consider would be a problem until I actually started living with this kitten. I have been thinking about calling the previous owner saying that I cannot keep this kitten because circumstances I could not have predicted have risen. However, I feel really bad and I am pretty sure that it would be considered rude to basically say, "hey I know I said I would take care of this kitten, but it seem like I can't, so here you go". What I want to know is, would it be considered so rude to the person if I asked if I can return the kitten that the previous owner would consider an insult to them? Also, What is the general perception of a situation such as this and how would a Japanese person approach the situation. I am pretty set on giving this kitten away to another person would be more responsible and would properly be able to take care of this kitten, but I would like to inform the previous owner that I could not live up to my word. How would I break this situation to them in the least offensive way possible?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-13-2010, 02:19 PM

I don't think this situation is a cultural one.

This just depends on the person who gave it to you.

If they are understanding and friendly then I don't see what the problem would be.

But surely you can control your studying?

I don't know.. it seems like this is a situation that just requires some self-control on your part.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Misericordias (Offline)
JF Regular

10-13-2010, 02:25 PM

The person is really nice...which is contributing a lot to the problem. I want to keep the cat on her behalf, but I just don't seem to have the discipline to take care of this kitten. One of the other main problems is that I want to visit other places during my stay in Japan. However with a kitten, the places I can go and how long I can stay away is severely limited because I would have to take care of the kitten. The amount I should be studying for the nikyuu is ridiculous. I am not studying as much as I should be and the kitten is just adding to that problem. Oh god, this kitten is really cute- it's literally breaking my heart and I really wish I never got this kitten.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I really do have horrible self-control, seeing how that is one of the reasons I got a kitten in the first place.

Last edited by Misericordias : 10-13-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: additional information
(#4 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-13-2010, 03:18 PM

[quote=Misericordias;832750]The person is really nice...which is contributing a lot to the problem. I want to keep the cat on her behalf, but I just don't seem to have the discipline to take care of this kitten. One of the other main problems is that I want to visit other places during my stay in Japan. However with a kitten, the places I can go and how long I can stay away is severely limited because I would have to take care of the kitten. The amount I should be studying for the nikyuu is ridiculous. I am not studying as much as I should be and the kitten is just adding to that problem. Oh god, this kitten is really cute- it's literally breaking my heart and I really wish I never got this kitten.

sorry if I sound harsh BUT! Its a pity you did not think more carefully before deciding to take this kitten in. I hope you find a decent home for the poor little thing

too many people have pets on impulse then who is it that gets Pushed out?

In future please consider carefully before ever taking in a pet.

I have no sympathy for you-- although its clear that you are genuinely concerned.

Pets are for Life-- Not just to fulfill impulses or for presents or for christmas.

My puppy has taken a lot of my time-- but I was prepared. Animals Are a TIE so best not to commit to any animal until you are in a position to care for it properly.

I would have thought the kitten would be a way to relax for a while.

However in your circumstance-- please find a better home-- Not just any home-- or it will end up on the streets. sometimes our hearts take over our sense of what is right. good luck with your studies.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Misericordias (Offline)
JF Regular

10-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Thank you dogsbody, the problem is though, how will I know the person I give this precious kitten away to will actually love and care for it much more than I can provide? The only person I know for sure is the previous owner, but it seems really bad to return this kitten to her, you know?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
fujikuro2 (Offline)
New to JF

10-13-2010, 03:48 PM

It's absolutely considered bad manners.And you will give all gaijns a bad name.I wonder in which country it is not considered bad manners.

動物愛護センター help the cat in finding his/her new owner.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Misericordias (Offline)
JF Regular

10-13-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
It's absolutely considered bad manners.And you will give all gaijns a bad name.I wonder in which country it is not considered bad manners.

That's what I am afraid of too. I don't want to give gaijins a bad name- I'm the one that made the mistake, let me pay for it. Thank you for that information. I would like to apologize to everyone for my short-sighted decision. I am extremely sorry for my foolishness. What was I thinking?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-13-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misericordias View Post
Thank you dogsbody, the problem is though, how will I know the person I give this precious kitten away to will actually love and care for it much more than I can provide? The only person I know for sure is the previous owner, but it seems really bad to return this kitten to her, you know?

Hello again, well I do hope that the previous owner will be understanding.

If you explain hopefully he/she will help.

I am not sure if there is a cat rescue scheme in Japan. I do hope so.

I wish you well. Its a shame you cannot keep the kitten but it seems impossible in your sitution.

I do know how we get sentimental over young animals. Maybe someone at your college will know somebody who could help?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujikuro2 View Post

surely its exaggerating to say it will give all gaijins a bad name. Just because Miseri made a mistake when he/she fell in love with the kitten. Asking the previous owner to help or take the kitten back yes it seems difficult-- but if that person is a decent caring person-- surely they will try to help out.

Better that-- than just discarding the poor little thing-- which can easily happen.

If it happened here in UK any decent person would take the kittern back or try to find a suitable home for it. Not everyone is decent. too many cats get chucked out------------- some people don't care-- but genuine animal lovers would try to help. If necessary take the cat to a sanctuary.

Why blame all Gaiijins for the mistake of one person who took the kitten because they wanted to care for it. If the previous owner had asked questions as to the suitability of the new owner, they should have realised it was not a good idea.

I have bred dogs for many years and always make sure the potential buyers are suitable owners. One always has to be careful surely where animals are concerned.

I hope the Japanese do not automatically blame everyone from another country-- for one mistake-- that would seem unthinking surely.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-13-2010, 04:27 PM

I agree that the problem isn`t a cultural one.

It is bad manners - but worse than bad manners, it`s extremely irresponsible. There are countless reasons you should not have agreed to caring for the kitten - you`re the one at fault and no matter what happens, you will be (and SHOULD be) thought of badly for it.

Cats can live for 20+ years. Even if you`d not been busy with studying and wanting to travel - you`re still pretty unlikely to be able to stay in Japan for 20 years straight from now. What did you plan to do with the cat when you left Japan? Toss it? Cats aren`t all that easy to find homes for, especially once they`ve grown past the cute kitten stage.

If you didn`t bother to think past "Aww, cute!" and have a little responsibility, you fully deserve to have everyone think you`re an awful person.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.