JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   water bill problem (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/34436-water-bill-problem.html)

ceruleanwoes 10-24-2010 03:02 AM

water bill problem

i've been living in an apartment in nishinomiya for almost a month now and i decided to check yesterday my water consumption and i got very surprised.

i've already consumed 2,816 million cubic meters!! that's very weird because i'm out most of the time, i usually take 5-7 minutes quick shower, i only used the bathtub once, i wash my underwear and socks in the sink, and i wash the dishes as well.

i don't know why the meter reading is so high, and my other friends living in the same building only have 400++ cubic meters of water consumption so far. and one even mentioned that she consumes more water than i do.

is there a way to find out if i've been hacked or something? what's an estimated cost that i would have to pay after two months?

i've already checked if there's any leak and none so far.

Sangetsu 10-24-2010 08:38 AM

There is a mistake somewhere. My waster bill is inclusive with my rent, so I have no idea how much I use, or how much it costs.

blimp 10-27-2010 03:31 AM

so you are saying that the bill indicates that you have used 2,800 million m3 of water. that would be 2,800,000,000,000 litres in one month. obviously something is wrong or you are mistaken.

GoNative 10-27-2010 03:57 AM

I reckon a small town would barely use that much water! Definitely a mistake.

blimp 10-31-2010 08:52 AM

just to put it in perspective.
i had a look at the latest water bill that arrived just the other day, and it said 19 m3. so i think it is fair to say that there is a mistake somewhere.

Nyororin 10-31-2010 11:34 PM

I think it`s more a mistake on the part of the poster. There is no indication that a bill said this. Most likely a major misreading of the water meter. They don`t start at 0, and are often completely arbitrary - just measured by the difference between one number and the previous.
Trust me, if they were using that much in less than a month - they`d be getting attention from somewhere.

Unless they have a bill that says their usage was that much, I wouldn`t even worry about it.

cranks 11-01-2010 05:14 AM

Nyororin is right. The number on the METER isn't the amount you've used that month. That said, Please please don't wash your underwear and socks in the sink... You'll appear like a caveman.

ColinHowell 11-01-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceruleanwoes (Post 834423)
i've already consumed 2,816 million cubic meters!!

Other posters have already pointed out that you likely misread the meter, but I just wanted to demonstrate a simple sanity check on the number you posted which shows just how crazy a figure it would be for a month's water usage.

2,816 million cubic meters is 2.816 cubic kilometers. You said that was in about a month's time; over 30 days, running 24 hours per day, that works out to over 1000 cubic meters per second. You'd have to have a dam floodgate running through your apartment to pull that off.