JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ldb88 (Offline)
New to JF

Considering the JET Program - 10-26-2010, 02:30 AM

I am considering applying for the JET program. If you meet all of the requirements, is it generally difficult to get into such a program? Are most applicants accepted? Rejected? Depends?

About the application - I have had a few Japanese co-workers in the past. Would they be good choices for recommendation letters, or would you suggest a manager with little or no knowledge of Japan? Also, although I have studied Japanese history and culture for some time, I have never actually been there. Will this affect my candidacy?

How do people feel about the JET program in general? How difficult is it to find a job when you return (if your degree is not in English or teaching)?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-26-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldb88 View Post
I am considering applying for the JET program. If you meet all of the requirements, is it generally difficult to get into such a program? Are most applicants accepted? Rejected? Depends?

About the application - I have had a few Japanese co-workers in the past. Would they be good choices for recommendation letters, or would you suggest a manager with little or no knowledge of Japan? Also, although I have studied Japanese history and culture for some time, I have never actually been there. Will this affect my candidacy?

How do people feel about the JET program in general? How difficult is it to find a job when you return (if your degree is not in English or teaching)?
I did the JET program from 1994-1997. It is competitive, and has gotten more so, but it really depends on where you are applying from. From my understanding now, it is difficult to get into.

Not having ever been to Japan should not affect your chances. Having studied Japanese culture and history should help.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-26-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:

I think the difficulty varies depending on the embassy at which you apply. It seems like some places you can just have a 4 year degree and you're in. Fortunately (for Japan that is) other areas are a little more strict and I think put more effort into looking for candidates who are ready for the job. This is probably because they simply have more candidates to choose from and have the ability to pick the best. I've seen some really promising people get rejected... and I've seen some really shitty ALTs on the job. I suspect that is because of the region in which they'd applied.

As far as a recomendation letter goes, I've heard that employers are good (usually the boss)-- if you've worked there for a year or so. I think teachers/professers are good too.

I think the best you can do is ask for a letter from people who you think will sincerely take their time on writing about you (don't go for anyone who says "just write it yourself and I'll sign it" as I think that might be a little transparent). Don't make any mistakes on your application. Do plenty of research on Japan and yourself. Figure out why you want to go and be prepared to give a solid reason in your interview. Have some plans for your future as well. You will probably get asked about this. Remember that whatever you put on your application will be whatever they know about you during the interview (they might know some secret stuff from your letters though too). So remember exactly what you wrote on yoru application for your interview. If you do that and are not a nevous nelson during the interview process (and are on time and looking good), then I think you have a good chance of getting in.

Have a backup plan though-- this is good for two reasons: 1. If you don't get accepted you aren't screwed. 2. If you have a backup plan, they are more likely to say OK (because they can tell you haven't put all your eggs into one basket).
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ldb88 (Offline)
New to JF

10-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Thank you for your input. Have you noticed which embassies give you a better chance? I am closest to the one in Chicago, but I would be willing to go to Nashville, etc. if I had a better chance.

Did you find it hard to find a job once you returned?

Also, would it be better to try to find an ALT position outside of JET? I will be graduating in December, so there would be a lot of time between. Of course, I would get a job during that time, but I'm not sure if it would look bad to quit 6 months into your first (non-internship) job. Is it possible to find an ALT position starting in January?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-26-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your input. Have you noticed which embassies give you a better chance? I am closest to the one in Chicago, but I would be willing to go to Nashville, etc. if I had a better chance.

Did you find it hard to find a job once you returned?

Also, would it be better to try to find an ALT position outside of JET? I will be graduating in December, so there would be a lot of time between. Of course, I would get a job during that time, but I'm not sure if it would look bad to quit 6 months into your first (non-internship) job. Is it possible to find an ALT position starting in January?
I hear Anchorage is easier.

The world is a different place now compared to when I finished JET. I don't know if it will be hard to find a job or not.

You will be hard pressed to find a better job then JET as an ALT. Sure, get the other job, and if you get the JET job, then quit, and if you don't stick with it. Just don't sign any long term contracts. What I mean is, if you get a job at a convenience store, it's no big deal. If you get a job as a teacher, it is a big deal to quit in the middle of a contract.