JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
davidJapan01 (Offline)
New to JF

Education and Japan Employers..and age - 10-29-2010, 02:37 AM

I want to do another undergraduate degree in Business in Japan.
I graduate around 26-27 if I do this. Would this be a negative direction in terms of employment in Japan?

I know Australian employers don't really care about age as long as the person can do the job.

Japan does not seem this way at all. I have already completed my undergraduate and lived in Japan for one year. I am thinking that another undergraduate degree and fluency in Japanese might allow me to work in Japan.
Seems like you need to be a very special person to have a "normal" job in Japan if you're foreign.
Teaching English and working in bars is not something I want to do in my 30's... would be fun though.

Any thoughts?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-29-2010, 04:51 AM

The really hard part is getting a company to sponsor your visa. The teaching english route is one of the easier ones to take to get the visa and once you've got it you are able to move onto other things. If you have studied here though and speak fluently then I'm sure you would be able to build up a network of friends and contacts that may be able to assist you after graduation. It really depends on the position you're after and it's not just about whether a company is willing to employ you it's about whether immigration will accept their application to sponsor you. Generally they have to show a pretty good reason to hire a foreigner over a Japanese person. Depending on the company, this can be fairly easy or extremely difficult.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-29-2010, 06:04 AM

I am confused. Is the degree "Business in Japan" or do you want to get a business degree at a school in Japan? Either way, it is a big chunk of time to spend with no guarantee of actual employment in Japan.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

10-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Considering that Japan's top university (Tokyo University) isn't among the world's top 25 universities, and that most of the other Japanese are far inferior in quality, I wouldn't begin to consider university study in Japan. You would be better off getting an education at a school where you might actually learn something. More than 3/4 of the world's top 20 universities are in America, so you should probably start there.

If you are planning to work in finance or trading in Japan, an American or British degree will be of more value than pretty much any Japanese degree. You must also consider that in Japan you can't simply sign up to study any subject you want, the government regulates the number of students in each field according to employer demand.

The numbers of Japanese studying overseas is deceasing, so there is likely to be more demand for employees with overseas educations/experience.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-29-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
You would be better off getting an education at a school where you might actually learn something..
A bit harsh, don`t you think?
You make it sound like any education outside of the top 25 universities is worthless. Maybe I should just hand my degree back in being as it came from a university not on the list.

As the goal of Japanese university tends to differ from western counterparts, it`s pretty much a moot point to judge it on the same scale. Western universities seem to aim for a completed whole - ie. the graduate is ready to jump into a position with the methods and thinking taught at the university - while Japanese universities tend to aim for a ease of training to the methods of a specific company. The first year or so in a new company is mostly learning their methods.

The Japanese university counts on another year or more of in-company education after graduation. A big reason fresh grads don`t receive and don`t expect big paychecks - they`re basically still in school. (Some companies will even start their training months before graduation.)

Quote:
You must also consider that in Japan you can't simply sign up to study any subject you want, the government regulates the number of students in each field according to employer demand.
In national universities. The country is filled with private universities where you can study anything you want. "Public" national universities are the rarities.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-30-2010, 01:23 AM

Aren't there thousands of colleges and universities across the world? To be in the Top 25 (by any scale) would be an accomplishment.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

10-30-2010, 01:58 AM

The garden-variety Japanese university which most Japanese attend is big on lectures, and terribly short on substance, and provides less in real knowledge than an American junior college. Most universities exist more to groom future salarymen than they are to provide a worthwhile education, particularly in regards to business. It is no secret that Japanese university students spend their university years traveling, having fun, and enjoying the last real break they are going to enjoy before beginning their careers.

Three of my closest friends in Japan are university professors, and one of them has written extensively on the decline of the Japanese education system and Japan's increasingly uncompetitive business culture.

You could probably learn more about the situation from foreign students who have attended university in Japan. Another friend of mine spent a year studying at Tokyo university, and found it to be far easier than his studies at CSULB, (which is not even in the top 100 universities).
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Swordmaster (Offline)
JF Regular

10-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Considering that Japan's top university (Tokyo University) isn't among the world's top 25 universities, and that most of the other Japanese are far inferior in quality, I wouldn't begin to consider university study in Japan. You would be better off getting an education at a school where you might actually learn something. More than 3/4 of the world's top 20 universities are in America, so you should probably start there.
Where are you looking?

QS World University Rankings Results 2010 | Top Universities

I see Kyoto and Tokyo Universities just barely in there. Even if it's just on the edge, that's pretty awesome.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
davidJapan01 (Offline)
New to JF

Learn about Japan while studying something else. - 10-31-2010, 01:23 AM

Thankyou for all your opinions.

I have heard from many people (with first hand experience) that the Japanese education system is not as good as the American system.

To be honest, the education itself isn't really what I want. I want the Visa to enter the country for a long period of time to practice the language, learn the culture and network. (As many of you know, it is difficult to enter Japan for a long period of time without a good reason).

I was wondering if having two undergraduate degrees is a plus or minus.
I recently had this questioned answered by about 30 people. They all had very different backgrounds and they told me that it would not be a bad idea if I were to aiming to obtain a skill that is unique or in high demand.

Is English and Japanese fluency (and a deep knowledge of the culture) something that is unique or in high demand?

Off topic >> {{Has anyone noticed that many Japanese people speak fantastic English but don't really understand the culture at all. I am sure the same goes for people that speak Japanese?? All of my Japanese friends treated me as though I was some kind of stereotypical western (I am Australian but anyways)... argh }}

I am planning to go to "ICU" in mitaka because the system is similar to the western education system and they have a lot of support for international students.

If I go to an Australian (or American, UK) University for another undergraduate or masters then I really couldn't study Japan in detail.
I did the year long teaching thing in Japan and that didn't really improve my Japanese. In fact, I felt disconnected from the Japanese culture because I was teaching and surrounded by the western culture.
I would try and fit in but my mates would tell me to stop acting Japanese.. whatever that means... being more polite and quite I guess...??

I am planning to enter an undergraduate course that covers business or economics. I don't intend on working in Japan after I graduate.
I could probably make more money outside of Japan (especially in Australia)

If anyone has been in a similar situation people comment.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Swordmaster (Offline)
JF Regular

10-31-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidJapan01 View Post

Thankyou for all your opinions.

I have heard from many people (with first hand experience) that the Japanese education system is not as good as the American system.

To be honest, the education itself isn't really what I want. I want the Visa to enter the country for a long period of time to practice the language, learn the culture and network. (As many of you know, it is difficult to enter Japan for a long period of time without a good reason).

I was wondering if having two undergraduate degrees is a plus or minus.
I recently had this questioned answered by about 30 people. They all had very different backgrounds and they told me that it would not be a bad idea if I were to aiming to obtain a skill that is unique or in high demand.

Is English and Japanese fluency (and a deep knowledge of the culture) something that is unique or in high demand?

Off topic >> {{Has anyone noticed that many Japanese people speak fantastic English but don't really understand the culture at all. I am sure the same goes for people that speak Japanese?? All of my Japanese friends treated me as though I was some kind of stereotypical western (I am Australian but anyways)... argh }}

I am planning to go to "ICU" in mitaka because the system is similar to the western education system and they have a lot of support for international students.

If I go to an Australian (or American, UK) University for another undergraduate or masters then I really couldn't study Japan in detail.
I did the year long teaching thing in Japan and that didn't really improve my Japanese. In fact, I felt disconnected from the Japanese culture because I was teaching and surrounded by the western culture.
I would try and fit in but my mates would tell me to stop acting Japanese.. whatever that means... being more polite and quite I guess...??

I am planning to enter an undergraduate course that covers business or economics. I don't intend on working in Japan after I graduate.
I could probably make more money outside of Japan (especially in Australia)

If anyone has been in a similar situation people comment.
Being fluent in both is actually a large asset in the international businesses based in Japan. As of recent, they've been making an effort to teach their current employees the English language. If you want to go with this opportunity time is of the essence.

As for ICU, you mean the International Christian University? I hope to see you there next year.