JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
VincentFreeman (Offline)
New to JF

How to find a job? - 10-29-2010, 09:10 PM

Hi people!
I just joined this forum and it feels like it's a great platform to find out more about Japan. I am German and living in the UK, about to finish a degree in International Management Science next summer. I will be 31 when I finish. I would like to live and work in Japan as I have heard many good things. I would like to do the JET program TEFL job but I don't fulfill the requirements (for neither the British nor the German JET program). I am fluent in English and TEFL qualified here in the UK but as I am not a British citizen I cannot take part in it.
I have worked in database management for four years before I started my degree in the UK. It would be great if somebody could give me any advice on how to find work in Japan.
Cheers,
Felix
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-29-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentFreeman View Post
Hi people!
I just joined this forum and it feels like it's a great platform to find out more about Japan. I am German and living in the UK, about to finish a degree in International Management Science next summer. I will be 31 when I finish. I would like to live and work in Japan as I have heard many good things. I would like to do the JET program TEFL job but I don't fulfill the requirements (for neither the British nor the German JET program). I am fluent in English and TEFL qualified here in the UK but as I am not a British citizen I cannot take part in it.
I have worked in database management for four years before I started my degree in the UK. It would be great if somebody could give me any advice on how to find work in Japan.
Cheers,
Felix
How is your Japanese level?

For you I would suggest student visa to get you here, (and study Japanese if you do not know any), then while you are studying get your resume and stuff together, start networking and look for a job. If somebody is interested in you they should be able to sponsor you for a work visa.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-30-2010, 02:16 AM

What do you mean by database management ? is it IT related like Oracle and SQL server? if so, you can find tons of openings just this instance.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-30-2010, 02:43 AM

cranks you'd struggle without a valid working visa though.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-30-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
cranks you'd struggle without a valid working visa though.
Maybe, if you are in Niseko

There are a lot of companies in Tokyo that sponsor visa if you are an English speaking DBA (database administrator) with 4 years of experience.

データベース開発/管理 : キャリアクロス

These DBA jobs require no Japanese skills whatsoever, and I think many of them would sponsor visa.

Last edited by cranks : 10-30-2010 at 03:49 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

10-30-2010, 03:51 AM

It's the 4 years experience that's the catch which will be hard for the young people on this forum desperately trying to get over here as soon as they finish their studies. 4 years to young people seems like a lifetime!

Here in Niseko it's not that hard as the vast bulk of the tourist market we deal with is foreign so it's easy to show we need native english speakers (or Chinese speakers) to get the job done.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-30-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
It's the 4 years experience that's the catch which will be hard for the young people on this forum desperately trying to get over here as soon as they finish their studies. 4 years to young people seems like a lifetime!

Here in Niseko it's not that hard as the vast bulk of the tourist market we deal with is foreign so it's easy to show we need native english speakers (or Chinese speakers) to get the job done.
Yeah, it totally does feel like a lifetime even for me. But if you do have 4, no, 3 years under your belt, it's super easy to get a job in Tokyo in this field. It's just different career paths I guess. A ski bum and then starting up your own business? that sounds harder but awesome

Last edited by cranks : 10-30-2010 at 04:05 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

10-30-2010, 04:21 AM

I'm just happy the bar we own in Hakodate is starting to make some money! Been putting money into it to keep it afloat for the last 18 months. We just moved premises to what is a smaller place with lower rent but a better main street location. We replaced the existing bar there which was the only other foreign owned bar in town. Their customers and ours all seem to be staying loyal so revenue is well up. Be nice not to have to keep propping it up!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Well Felix.
It is hard to give any solid advice or leads to employers as you really did not mention your skillset other then database management and your degree field of International Management Science.

There are many sites listing job vacancies for Japan and it should be noted that the requirments are not always as stated. You should also understand that the resume format for Japan is not like the west. I could mail you a sample resume format in Excel so you can understand the basic structure.

When a Japanese company advertises a position, they really go for the max in terms of native applicants. I have found this to be quite different from the truth, as most of the advertisment is done by a recruitment company.
When you make contact with the company in question there is often much less of a demand on the requirments.

Database Management is always required here in Japan. If you know your stuff and can format it into a nice resume, then you might just get what you want.
PS. It really, really, really helps if you are showing an active interest in learning Japanese. This can actually open many doors if used the right way.

Marcus.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
davidJapan01 (Offline)
New to JF

Learn about Japan while studying something else. - 10-31-2010, 01:16 AM

Thankyou for all your opinions.

I have heard from many people (with first hand experience) that the Japanese education system is not as good as the American system.

To be honest, the education itself isn't really what I want. I want the Visa to enter the country for a long period of time to practice the language, learn the culture and network. (As many of you know, it is difficult to enter Japan for a long period of time without a good reason).

I was wondering if having two undergraduate degrees is a plus or minus.
I recently had this questioned answered by about 30 people. They all had very different backgrounds and they told me that it would not be a bad idea if I were to aiming to obtain a skill that is unique or in high demand.

Is English and Japanese fluency (and a deep knowledge of the culture) something that is unique or in high demand?

Off topic >> {{Has anyone noticed that many Japanese people speak fantastic English but don't really understand the culture at all. I am sure the same goes for people that speak Japanese?? All of my Japanese friends treated me as though I was some kind of stereotypical western (I am Australian but anyways)... argh }}

I am planning to go to "ICU" in mitaka because the system is similar to the western education system and they have a lot of support for international students.

If I go to an Australian (or American, UK) University for another undergraduate or masters then I really couldn't study Japan in detail.
I did the year long teaching thing in Japan and that didn't really improve my Japanese. In fact, I felt disconnected from the Japanese culture because I was teaching and surrounded by the western culture.
I would try and fit in but my mates would tell me to stop acting Japanese.. whatever that means... being more polite and quite I guess...??

I am planning to enter an undergraduate course that covers business or economics. I don't intend on working in Japan after I graduate.
I could probably make more money outside of Japan (especially in Australia)

If anyone has been in a similar situation people comment.