JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DaisukeKigurou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

How do I get ahold of a published Mangaka? - 10-28-2010, 06:42 AM

( Mods, move this to the correct thread if need be.)

I've said that, I've always been good a writing and nothing more. I've also been interested in Japan even from the youngest age. So, it would be predictable that, I'd try and become a mangaka. I love their books (manga) and I love the creativity that comes from these writers.

Problem is, is that I don't know how to become a published writer in Japan. So, I decided that I'd try and get a hold of a mangaka and ask them questions about how I can get well known and some how get published.

So, is there ANY way to get a hold of these mangakas? ( Email, snail mail, website, blog, etc?)

Also, PLEASE don't tell me that they wont hire a person who can speak fluent Japanese. I'm working on that at the moment!!!

Also, don't say something like " They wont hire a person if you can't draw as well as the can write ( or vise versa)."

I'll find a person who I can pay to draw for me.

Please help!

~苦痛は中心、それはある から来る; 憎む人によって引き起こされる。~
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

10-28-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisukeKigurou View Post
( Mods, move this to the correct thread if need be.)
Also, PLEASE don't tell me that they wont hire a person who can speak fluent Japanese. I'm working on that at the moment!!!
The problem isn't in these two points. The problem is why would they hire an amateurish gaijin to draw comics for a country that has 150 million natives who could just as easily do it, all while knowing the language, culture, and other aspects that lie outside of the art itself.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-28-2010, 11:21 AM

敢て日本語で書くよ

日本語が理解できる事必須
基本持ちこみ
先に電話してアポ取ってから出版社に出向く
郵送やwebでの受付も有るけど持ち込みと違いアドバイス は貰えないので避けた方が無難
100%に近い確立で貶されるだろうけどめげずに持ち込む

アシ修行に出されたり書き直したりで収入無くなるので
挑み続ける期間分の生活費を貯めて置くのが良いかも。

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
The problem isn't in these two points. The problem is why would they hire an amateurish gaijin to draw comics for a country that has 150 million natives who could just as easily do it, all while knowing the language, culture, and other aspects that lie outside of the art itself.
There are plenty of manga set in countries other than Japan, or that make use of foriegn culture or foriegn characters, so in that respect knowing a culture other than Japanese could be an asset. Also, (aside from language ability) the OP might not be an amateur, he/she could have skills that rival the great manga-ka for all we know Edit: Sorry, Wings, I've only just noticed that the OP says he can't draw, so my mistake. You make an excellent point.

I think there are one or two members on the forum who do know manga-ka and the manga business pretty well, so hopefully they can help you out, Daisuke. Good luck in any case.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-28-2010, 06:37 PM

To become a published writer, you need to have something worth publishing. It is a little like asking how do you become a rock star. First you have to have a darn good song.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
DaisukeKigurou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-06-2010, 05:10 AM

All I am asking for is just a email or a way to get in contact with them to ask these writters (mangakas) how they got into the business.

And a few other questions, it's the same way with ANY job this is the professional way of handling things. Saying "You can't get a job being a game designer in Japan, or a foreign country and I am appalled that you even THINK you'll be able to do that is stupid. I will NEVER tell you how to get in contact!"

All I can say is, to those that don't like the idea of a foreigner as a writer, it's not Japan it's YOU. You, hate the idea you WANT the industry to have only Japanese names on your books.

I'm sorry, when something gets popular, something has to give.

I've talked to countless people who have been in the manga industry and they, have told me they don't care. I am NOT an amateurish writer, go look at my writings and you'll see what I mean. Besides, I can HIRE an illustrator later. It's not uncommon for a mangaka or a writer here to do that.

I know this because I've talked to mangakas at cons who tell me that it isn't uncommon for someone to hire an artist to do the art. As long as it's coming out of your money.

All, I need is some answers on how to contact them. Not some uptight fanboys, who are AFRAID of change in an industry. You can take that somewhere else, I am not going to listen to you whine about how much you hate the fact that people from other countries want to write for another country.

You expect me to do OEL's? *laughs* that's MORE disrespectful to Japan then going over there. Besides, OEL's SUCK horribly!!

AGAIN, all I want is some answers on how to get a hold of these mangakas so I can ask them a few questions. No butthurt fanboys!!!

~苦痛は中心、それはある から来る; 憎む人によって引き起こされる。~
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-06-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
All I am asking for is just a email or a way to get in contact with them to ask these writters (mangakas) how they got into the business.
Even if I had the private email addresses of professional and established manga writers, I wouldn't post them on a public forum.

Quote:
And a few other questions, it's the same way with ANY job this is the professional way of handling things. Saying "You can't get a job being a game designer in Japan, or a foreign country and I am appalled that you even THINK you'll be able to do that is stupid. I will NEVER tell you how to get in contact!"
Being a manga-ka is not "job". People do not apply to be a manga-ka, and they do not post job offerings looking for manga-ka. Managa-ka are not paid by the hour or are given a weekly salary. It is a career that comes from within you. You are not selling your time. You are selling your wares, like a craftsman or any other kind of artist.

An artist does not say "I want to be an artist". He either creates art or he doesn't.

Quote:
All I can say is, to those that don't like the idea of a foreigner as a writer, it's not Japan it's YOU. You, hate the idea you WANT the industry to have only Japanese names on your books.

I'm sorry, when something gets popular, something has to give.
One person said one statement. Address them directly.

Quote:
I've talked to countless people who have been in the manga industry and they, have told me they don't care. I am NOT an amateurish writer, go look at my writings and you'll see what I mean. Besides, I can HIRE an illustrator later. It's not uncommon for a mangaka or a writer here to do that.
It sounds like you are pretty connected. These are the people who are going to be able to help you.

But understand, you don't sell a manga without the manga. You make it, then you sell it. You can't say "I have a good idea" and expect any response. It's put up or shut up.

Quote:
I know this because I've talked to mangakas at cons who tell me that it isn't uncommon for someone to hire an artist to do the art. As long as it's coming out of your money.
No it isn't uncommon. Eiji Otsuka is one of my favorite manga-ka and he doesn't draw. Kazuo Koike is another favorite, but he only writes the stories.

You just need to have some great stories and an artist who sees your vision and can work with you.

Quote:
All, I need is some answers on how to contact them. Not some uptight fanboys, who are AFRAID of change in an industry. You can take that somewhere else, I am not going to listen to you whine about how much you hate the fact that people from other countries want to write for another country.
Attitude is everything.

What you need is not to be able to contact Japanese manga-ka. What you need is to produce a great story and get it on paper. You don't need an established manga-ka to tell you that.

Quote:
You expect me to do OEL's? *laughs* that's MORE disrespectful to Japan then going over there. Besides, OEL's SUCK horribly!!
Again, attitude is everything.

Quote:
AGAIN, all I want is some answers on how to get a hold of these mangakas so I can ask them a few questions. No butthurt fanboys!!!
You have the answers you need. Get to work and drop the attitude.