JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Japanese Customs/Traditions! (when at home) (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/3514-japanese-customs-traditions-%28when-home%29.html)

Haylesr11Rox 04-06-2007 10:33 AM

Japanese Customs/Traditions! (when at home)

Hello!:ywave:

Hi I'm going over to Japan in July so I would really like some info on the Japanese Customs when in a Japanese home. I know a few different customs but not very many so could you please help me out? I will postone that I can remember right now. Please only post customs/traditions that you would encounter staying with a host family in Fukuoka. (This includes in Japanese homes, shopping etc. but only interesting ones that are really noticeable and useful to a young girl.)

1. Taking your shoes of in the genkan-wearing slippers in different parts of the house

Please help me out everyone!

Bye Bye:ywave:

jasonbvr 04-06-2007 12:08 PM

No shoes or slippers in tatami rooms.
Close the door to the bathroom when you come out.
Shower standing outside the tub, and shower before taking a bath.
Itadakimasu before a meal. Don't start eating before everyone else unless they say, Osaki ni itadakimasu. After you eat, they say something but I forget what it is.
Tadaima when you come back home, shitsureishimasu when you are going out for the day, and ii tekimasu when going out for a little while. The responses to these I forget.
In general, say oneigaishimasu (a mix of like please and let's do it, real meaning doesn't translate), sumimasen (excuse me), gomen nasai (I'm sorry) and arigatou gozaimashita like every ten minutes. When and which ones to use you will learn by watching the others, but seriously 90 percent of the time Japanese are speaking one of these words/phrases will be used.
Oishi-delicious
Oishikatta-it was delicious
Ona kaipai-I'm full, I use this to politely refuse them trying to turn me into a fat cow by feeding me too much. Not that I have a host family feeding me, but I do have an adopted Japanese family and grandpa. And for some reason Japanese guys really like to get me drunk and be buddy, buddy with me.
Tanoshi sou-sounds fun, for when they want to take you somewhere.

And that is all I have. Oh wait, don't forget your omiagi when you come from home. I would bring skittles and jolly ranchers. Just basically any food that they don't have here would work. Definitely bring some Skittles and then mail them to me. The plain ones, none of that funky tropical fruit stuff. Sour would be fine, but I don't think they come in five pound bags.

Sanchome 04-06-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbvr (Post 82614)
In general, say oneigaishimasu (a mix of like please and let's do it, real meaning doesn't translate), sumimasen (excuse me), gomen nasai (I'm sorry) and arigatou gozaimashita like every ten minutes. When and which ones to use you will learn by watching the others, but seriously 90 percent of the time Japanese are speaking one of these words/phrases will be used.

This is probably good advice to keep in mind anywhere you go in Japan! :)

musashi 04-06-2007 02:08 PM

I heard that if you slerp your soup or tea, it is a compliment to the people who made it....

annelie82 04-06-2007 07:49 PM

When wearing a gown, be sure wrap the left side over the right, as the opposite wrapping is only used for the deceased. And finding out how to say "a beer, please" and "you have pretty eyes" is standard preparation before visiting any country. The latter is guaranteed to get you at least one free drink in the bar/nightclub that you're in. ;) :D

~annelie

Katashi 04-06-2007 07:55 PM

My ex-Taiwanese GF told me to always address the eldest member of the household 1st. She said thats really important and is disrespectful if you do don't.

I don't know if thats true in Japan as well, but I do know that elders are to be greatly respected.

Offer to pay for the meal after dinner when going out...it turns into a war kinda who gets to pay!
Its good to offer small gifts from your country when meeting a new family!

cello77 04-06-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

After you eat, they say something but I forget what it is.

Gochosama - is said after you eat.

I just got back from visiting family in Japan. They do like to feed you. I gained about 10 lbs in one week!!! When you eat Ramen - they slurp as well.

OH and when you fly, you cannot bring any fluids larter than 8 oz on the international flight. The domestic flights in Japan let me bring juice.

Have fun!!!

CoolNard 04-07-2007 06:07 AM

Slurping shows that you appreciate their dishes =P It's actually a custom in China too, but since we're talking about Japan.... :p

Wait... isn't it "Gouchisousama"? Then the host is supposed to say "Gouchisousama-deshita" :D:D

Killgore 04-07-2007 01:46 PM

Also heard that if you burp after a meal it is also polite. Means you had a good meal. Is this true?

SgtBeavis 04-08-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

No shoes or slippers in tatami rooms.
Close the door to the bathroom when you come out.

That one got me sooooo many times at my In-Laws house. Exactly the opposite in most American households.

However, the fact that I offer to do the dishes more than made up for it ;)

My Mother in Law is a sweetie :)