JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mazzy (Offline)
New to JF

How could a "loser" have an extended vacation/live in Japan? - 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM

Yeah, there's hundreds of posts from people who want to move to Japan, and I'm still reading through many of them for useful information. I'm glad I found this website, it seems like I hit a goldmine of advice and general education about Japan.

I want to move to Japan, but my situation seems slightly different than the average weaboo young adult who wants to pack their belongings and hop on the nearest plane. I do not have a college education and no immediate plans to get one, although in the future I plan on getting a business/music related degree. I have spent most of my life as a touring musician instead of pursuing a career. I'm in my mid-twenties and currently inactive, but that could change come springtime. I'm not wanting to say that I want to permanently relocate to Japan, but prefer to call it something of an extended vacation. I would like to work, rent, and participate in Japanese society while I'm staying there, but I can't say for certain if it's where I'm going to be ten years down the road. I do not speak or read/write the language, but one of my first steps in preparation will be lessons. I am very comfortable financially, although I would still want to work, even if it's part-time or minimum wage. I'm very aloof and it doesn't trouble me at all to make major decisions like this seemingly unplanned compared to how most people would approach them.

I have briefly visited Japan once before, but it was on tour as a roadie and I really wasn't able to experience the country and people. I've always had a minor fascination with Japan through music and art, as well as some light interest in anime subculture, and I'm disappointed that my experience there didn't allow me the time to appreciate the nuances and everyday life of being in the country. I need to come back for an indefinite visitation to see if it's where I want to be, or simply something I need to experience and get out of my system. I'm aware the "proper" course of action would be to learn the language fluently, work towards a degree, and move some years down the road.

I am first and foremost a musician and will need to be located somewhere that can keep me actively involved in a music scene, whether it's playing in bands, recording, attending concerts, or ideally even working in some aspect of the industry. I imagine any major city would have these opportunities available, but perhaps there's some central point to the Japanese industry? If anybody is educated on the overall Japanese music scene, advice here would be appreciated.

So, what's the possibilities of someone who's uneducated and currently only speaks English of spending time in Japan, while supporting himself without relying too much on backup finances? I do not mind working in general labor, and actually prefer physically active employment over something business-oriented, although I'm not picky by any means.

How well can someone get along in the society with basic/survivor understanding of Japanese?

There are other questions to come, but I've written enough already and may add more later. Thanks in advance for any advice!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-15-2010, 08:42 PM

English teaching might be an option.

Where are you from? Some countries have working holiday visa agreements with Japan. Get one of those.. hook yourself up with an English teaching job and you're away.

You won't be able to work in schools but a private company will employ you or you can even just sell yourself as someone to practice with.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Eunice (Offline)
New to JF

12-16-2010, 06:14 AM

I think you should go to Japan for a month or two to see if it is really where you want to be. Once you get the feel of the country and experience day to day things for a few months your opinions change either for the better or for the worse. You wouldn't want to move your whole life to Japan only to find out you don't like it. It's always good to dream though and set goals so I hope you get to where you want to be regardless.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-16-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunice View Post
I think you should go to Japan for a month or two to see if it is really where you want to be. Once you get the feel of the country and experience day to day things for a few months your opinions change either for the better or for the worse. You wouldn't want to move your whole life to Japan only to find out you don't like it. It's always good to dream though and set goals so I hope you get to where you want to be regardless.
I know a tonne of losers that teach English here (like me!)... it's the profession of choice for anyone who has no real future aspirations and likes to live in the moment with a pocket full of cash.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Mazzy (Offline)
New to JF

12-16-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunice View Post
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm wanting a long-term visit, 1-2 months would be great, possibility of staying longer if I decide to. I'm not wanting to be a tourist though, but I want to rent, work, and do "normal" life in Japan.

I'm not entirely sure how I would go about moving to another country though, whether it be for a prolonged visit or permanent move. I really don't know how to find out how much it costs, how I would be able to interact with everybody, etc.

Another thing that I'm curious about is how easy it is to find rooms to rent, or perhaps people look for roommates, or if living is typically for a single person? I'm from America, and here's it's simple to log onto Craigslist or local personals to find someone looking for a roommates. I feel I could pack my bags and head to any city in America and be able to find a place to stay and settle in rather quickly. I'm not sure how things work in Japan.

If I got on a plane and headed to, let's say, Tokyo, what should my first course of action to find living space and employment once I arrive?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-16-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm wanting a long-term visit, 1-2 months would be great, possibility of staying longer if I decide to. I'm not wanting to be a tourist though, but I want to rent, work, and do "normal" life in Japan.
Before you start worrying about rent, roomates, etc. you'll need to get yourself a visa. Your visitor visa will allow you to stay in Japan for 90 days but it won't allow you to work.

In order to get a visa, you'll need a sponsor and the appropriate credentials for the specific visa you'll be applying for. That usually equates to either a university degree or a certain number of years of work experience.

That's the first hurdle you'll have to get over before you can start your "normal" life.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Mazzy (Offline)
New to JF

12-16-2010, 11:46 PM

There's no way around having ready employment or BA?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
There's no way around having ready employment or BA?
There is always a way, but these alternative ways are not easy to find or take advantage of. You can get around the BA requirement if you have 3 verifiable years of professional experience in an in-demand field. But having no degree limits the opportunities and potential pay at a time when jobs are harder to find, in a country where things are expensive.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Here's my suggestion: Get a visitor's visa (as was already said, much easier to get than a work visa, and it lets you stay up to 90 days). You said you have plenty of money, so you should be able to live on it while you're there. If you want to get involved with work and daily Japanese life, try volunteering... maybe visit and play music at an orphanage or hospital, or find some volunteer organization that strikes your interests. I think as long as you aren't being paid, the work visa won't matter. If, while you are doing this you happen to find a paying job, you can change to a work visa (you may have to leave the country and re-enter to do that, a day trip to Korea being a common way of doing it).

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
LazyGaijin (Offline)
New to JF

12-23-2010, 10:08 AM

This is great information for us , thank you