JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
joshlad14 (Offline)
New to JF

Me and my girlfriend moving HELP!!! - 12-18-2010, 07:26 PM

Hi

i am a student at uni and im about you get my Ba honors dagree, but im a little worried because i am about to propose to my girlfriend and i hope to marry her but i also want to live in japan and teach english. heres the problem she doesnt have a degree and she doesnt have the money to afford to get one ether. is there a certain visa she can obtain to come with me to japan and like not work. because i love her and i dont want to have to choose between my dream girl and my dream life.

all help is appreciated

from josh
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Wow. I can't believe you're considering choosing between your wife and your job. You obviously don't love her as much as you say man.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#3 (permalink))
Old
joshlad14 (Offline)
New to JF

12-18-2010, 07:57 PM

she is my girlfriend at the moment but like i said i dont want to choose so that is why im asking for help
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-19-2010, 01:23 AM

There is nothing wrong with planning for the future. He is trying to not have to choose one over the other.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend marriage before you are established and can support a family on your own.

That being said, I believe if you are married your spouse can get a spouse visa and your wife can live there.

It is important to keep in mind that many schools that hire English teachers have single or studio apartments pre-rented for the teachers, or some have single sex dormitories, so that may limit your options in that respect.

Also, talk with her about this. Living in a foreign country can be one of the most stressful experiences of one's life, especially if one is not in love with the country and cannot speak the language. Not necessarily recommended for newlyweds.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
joshlad14 (Offline)
New to JF

12-19-2010, 05:15 PM

thank you so much i understand what you are saying and the idea with the spouse visa is good idea. luckily she has been learning japanese and really loves the country, i think i will have a conversation with the japanese embasy this week to see what my options are and that this problem has been eating at us for a while. i think i might ask her to live with me first so we can see if we can actually live together with out being at eachothers throats.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

12-19-2010, 05:38 PM

Good luck with that. The honeymoon period lasts about 2 weeks but the true test takes about 6 months lol.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-19-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
There is nothing wrong with planning for the future. He is trying to not have to choose one over the other.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend marriage before you are established and can support a family on your own.

That being said, I believe if you are married your spouse can get a spouse visa and your wife can live there.

It is important to keep in mind that many schools that hire English teachers have single or studio apartments pre-rented for the teachers, or some have single sex dormitories, so that may limit your options in that respect.

Also, talk with her about this. Living in a foreign country can be one of the most stressful experiences of one's life, especially if one is not in love with the country and cannot speak the language. Not necessarily recommended for newlyweds.
MMM I believe you mean to say "dependent visa". One partner needs to be a Japanese national to get a spouse visa.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Good luck with that. The honeymoon period lasts about 2 weeks but the true test takes about 6 months lol.
I didn't know you were married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
MMM I believe you mean to say "dependent visa". One partner needs to be a Japanese national to get a spouse visa.
Fair enough. The embassy will be a good source of help.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

12-20-2010, 02:01 AM

if you are not a japanese citizen or have a P.R your spouse will unfortunately only be able to get a dependent visa through you. she may still theoretically be able to get a work visa herself, although based on what you written i would say that seems difficult. the exception might be if you can get a visa based upon japanese heritage. that visa status i don't know too well.

as a dependent i believe you are still able to work, however only 28h a month and for this you need an extra permit.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

12-20-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

Marriage is a piece of paper and can mean many things to many people as well as means to an end.

To the OP I would say that unless you are uber conservative. Just marry her for the convenience. It will make things a lot easier.