LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoutaro View Post
I never said Japan was my life solution, I didn't even imply it. Think about it this way, I'd rather wither away in Japan, than in America. Japan is my final destination. Before I die, that's where I want to live. It has nothing to do with my 'life of misery'. No one, absolutely no one, can dissuade me from it, so I hope I don't get anymore replies like this.
You say you don't imply it, then go on to say it is absolutely the place you must "wither away and die in"
Just saying take a step back and look at that statement, because then all you will do is wither if your mindset is all about that one thing. I don't see why you can't even consider turning your life around and living well in America?

It is good to have ambition, but pig headed refusal to even look at alternatives will always be a downfall.

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
shoutaro (Offline)
New to JF

01-03-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmarisa View Post
You say you don't imply it, then go on to say it is absolutely the place you must "wither away and die in"
Just saying take a step back and look at that statement, because then all you will do is wither if your mindset is all about that one thing. I don't see why you can't even consider turning your life around and living well in America?

It is good to have ambition, but pig headed refusal to even look at alternatives will always be a downfall.
When did I ever say I 'must' wither away and die there? And I can't consider staying here for two reasons, one, I hate america, and two, I guess you missed the wall of text about it being a dream that I wish to accomplish. But that's just me. I guess you've never had a dream, a goal, or hope before. It's not about 'withering'. You completely disregard the main point of everything I've typed. My posts are about accomplishing a dream. So please, if you don't understand, don't comment. No offense.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Kasomi (Offline)
Languages Addict

Send a message via MSN to Kasomi
01-03-2011, 03:52 AM

It's good to have dreams and hopes. Don't ever let someone say otherwise.

I do agree with Columbine, though. Before going for the "resident" part, maybe you could consider starting a degree in an establishment where you could make a student exchange to Japan. You would see how you like life in Japan, learn the culture while building your experience and knowledge in a particular field. Then, if you like it there, you could start the process for permanent residence or whatever that you want to achieve. Maybe you dream will just re-enforce when you get there, or maybe you won't like it.

And as what to study, this is your choice. You are the only one who knows what you really like. If you like Japan so much, take Japanese classes, as I think someone already suggested.

You still have plenty of time. You just need to find your way of doing things. But education would be a good starting point. PErsonnaly, I don't want to move to Japan, because I love my home country too much, but if I had to, I would continue my studies and try the student exchange first.

Oh, and I do think that you can make your dream come true if you work for it.
Ganbatte ne! I hope that you will get some clues as to what you want to do. Give us some feed-back^^

僕は静かな見物人なんだよ。
すべてを見て、聞いているよ。

Sème le vent, récolte la tempête;
Sème le bonheur, tu récolteras l'amour.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
LazyGaijin (Offline)
New to JF

01-10-2011, 12:03 AM

There are plenty of failures who are japanese residents, trust me, just go to shinjuku and look around
(#25 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-10-2011, 12:30 AM

Here's are four recommendations for getting experience and money for college:

US Army

US Air Force

US Navy

US Marine Corp
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

01-10-2011, 05:12 PM

I think what princessmarisa is talking about is your perspection of Japan when you haven't been there yet.

When I was in high school, I dreamed sooo much to go and live in Japan. Yes, I like mangas and japanese food, but the culture and the country itself always fascinated me. I'd started learning the language and I loved it too. I talked to people online, met others in my city, and a lot of people told me "You should go for a trip in Japan, anywhere you want to stay, go visit, have a look, try it out first!". Which I did.

And it's a good thing, because I realized in the end, my whole perspection and idea that was Japan and Tokyo, completely changed. I realized it wasn't what it appeared to be in my head. Wasn't all the awesomeness that I thought it was (don't get me wrong, Japan's still awesome in my eyes).

All that to say, if I hadn't visited Japan and moved there like you seem to be planning/wanting to do, I would have ended up regretting it and being pretty miserable. I love Japan, it's an amazing place to go out to on trips and visit. But I would NEVER live there. But that's just me and my opinion.

At this point in your life though, I think your #1 priority would be to finish school. If you're mind's set NOT to do that, then find a job and start saving your money to go visit Japan for a week or two and see if you really love it that much. But you won't be able to teach english overseas without a bachelor's degree. Sorry.

Anyway. This is just my opinion. It's really up to you to decide what you want/will be doing. Best of luck~

(#27 (permalink))
Old
shoutaro (Offline)
New to JF

01-14-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
Here's are four recommendations for getting experience and money for college:

US Army

US Air Force

US Navy

US Marine Corp

I think you missed the part where I said I hate america. Why would I sign my life away to a country I don't like...?
(#28 (permalink))
Old
shoutaro (Offline)
New to JF

01-14-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neffiline View Post
I think what princessmarisa is talking about is your perspection of Japan when you haven't been there yet.

When I was in high school, I dreamed sooo much to go and live in Japan. Yes, I like mangas and japanese food, but the culture and the country itself always fascinated me. I'd started learning the language and I loved it too. I talked to people online, met others in my city, and a lot of people told me "You should go for a trip in Japan, anywhere you want to stay, go visit, have a look, try it out first!". Which I did.

And it's a good thing, because I realized in the end, my whole perspection and idea that was Japan and Tokyo, completely changed. I realized it wasn't what it appeared to be in my head. Wasn't all the awesomeness that I thought it was (don't get me wrong, Japan's still awesome in my eyes).

All that to say, if I hadn't visited Japan and moved there like you seem to be planning/wanting to do, I would have ended up regretting it and being pretty miserable. I love Japan, it's an amazing place to go out to on trips and visit. But I would NEVER live there. But that's just me and my opinion.

At this point in your life though, I think your #1 priority would be to finish school. If you're mind's set NOT to do that, then find a job and start saving your money to go visit Japan for a week or two and see if you really love it that much. But you won't be able to teach english overseas without a bachelor's degree. Sorry.

Anyway. This is just my opinion. It's really up to you to decide what you want/will be doing. Best of luck~
I can't afford trips. And going over there really won't change my mind, I've done quite a bit of reseach. I'm not expecting my life in Japan to be full of wacky hijinks or anything. I just want to go over there and live.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
shoutaro (Offline)
New to JF

01-14-2011, 12:57 AM

More questions! What are viable alternatives to teaching? What other jobs are accessible for gaijins without extensive education/time wasting? Would it be possible to pick where I'd like to teach at if I choose teaching?
(#30 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-14-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoutaro View Post
More questions! What are viable alternatives to teaching? What other jobs are accessible for gaijins without extensive education/time wasting? Would it be possible to pick where I'd like to teach at if I choose teaching?
Computer programming, IT, interpretation.

All require formal education or at least five to ten solid years of work experience. For interpretation you will need to pass the JLPT Lv.1.

You can choose your location if you apply directly to schools you want to work at, but that usually isn't how it works.

What are you good at?