JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Paying US bill with Japanese PO account (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/35464-paying-us-bill-japanese-po-account.html)

SSJup81 01-02-2011 07:16 AM

Paying US bill with Japanese PO account

Sorry for making this thread, but seems my post in the other one was going unnoticed. I was wondering how I can transfer money from my Japanese Post Office Account to my American count. I finally have a bill that I plan on making that will need to get paid. The easiest way is to just pay the bill through my American account since it'll be an American bill. Any ideas or what I should ask at the Post Office? Any suggestions?

MMM 01-02-2011 07:26 AM

I changed the title of the thread so it would be more clear.

masaegu 01-02-2011 09:17 AM

You can remit the amount necessary to your own U.S. bank account through the Japanese post office for a fee of 2,500 yen. Bring your Japanese ID. (I'd bring a few just in case.)

With the exception of CitiBank, where the fee is 2,000 yen, the fees charged by major Japanese banks for the same service are much higher, making using the post office a pretty smart choice.

SSJup81 01-02-2011 01:50 PM

Thanks for the information. How do I ask this in Japanese, though? Other things I can figure out, but seems when it comes to stuff of this nature (such as bill paying), I have trouble communicating since I have a tough time figuring out how I want to word it.

masaegu 01-02-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJup81 (Post 844610)
Thanks for the information. How do I ask this in Japanese, though? Other things I can figure out, but seems when it comes to stuff of this nature (such as bill paying), I have trouble communicating since I have a tough time figuring out how I want to word it.

Just say to a clerk:

「国際送金(こくさいそうきん)をお願いしたいのです が。」

and you will be given a bilingual form to fill in that will look like:
国際送金書類の書き方と注意 | 国際送金・海外送金の方法と手順

I forgot to mention the name stamp when I said to bring your ID in my last post.

SSJup81 01-19-2011 02:26 PM

Sorry for bumping this, but another question just popped into mind. About how long does it usually take for the transfer to go through? Is the average amount of time about three to four business days or something equivalent to that?

masaegu 01-19-2011 02:40 PM

4 to 6 days according to the official website.

http://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/koji...kg_sk_usa.html

Sangetsu 01-19-2011 04:02 PM

Go to Shinsei Bank and open an account, there is no fee and no minimum deposit. Then open a Paypal account linked to your Shinsei account, and open a second Paypal account. Then you can send payments to yourself to or from America.

SSJup81 01-20-2011 04:58 AM

Thank you for the information.

Sangetsu: Since I already have the PO account and have for a good long while now, it'd be easier to just do transfers through that, at the moment. Thanks for the info, though. I'd considered it early on, but the PO was closer to me. I pretty much walk every place. I'm pretty sure I have seen a Shinsei bank before, though.

Sangetsu 01-21-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSJup81 (Post 847400)
Thank you for the information.

Sangetsu: Since I already have the PO account and have for a good long while now, it'd be easier to just do transfers through that, at the moment. Thanks for the info, though. I'd considered it early on, but the PO was closer to me. I pretty much walk every place. I'm pretty sure I have seen a Shinsei bank before, though.

The post office charges a lot for a transfer. You can open a Shinsei account online, and you can navigate their site in English. Also, Shinsei accounts can be accessed through any 7-11 Combini ATM for free, 24 hours a day. Post office ATMs usually close at 5 or 9 (depending on their location). Another bad thing about JP Bank is that setting up online banking is difficult, and there is no English support.