JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
cupofwater (Offline)
New to JF

would it be better to live in tiny apartment or hostel for a year? - 01-07-2011, 02:57 AM

Hi there everyone,

I am a new member and really enjoy reading many of these posts. Anyway, I know there have already been a million "can I teach in japan" questions up here, and I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I specifically want to know where should I live if I actually get there?

I was a japanese major in school, and though I have no real plans yet on what to do with it, I have decided that I'm really willing to pay for the teaching certificate and teach english in Japan for a year. (at least if I never require Japanese again, I can actually say I accomplished something while in Japan ). Ruling out a host family (as some programs offer), I've decided a tiny, tiny apartment would be economically just fine for me--until I realized a hostel offers great rates and amenities. But would living with a bunch of people going in and out for a year really be worth it? Would I even be able to stay a year without extra charges? I know a lot of it will really be ruled by where I end up teaching, but in general, can someone tell me if I would be better off in my own place, or sticking it out in a shared room and board where I'd have the advantage of prepaid utilities?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-07-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofwater View Post
Hi there everyone,

I am a new member and really enjoy reading many of these posts. Anyway, I know there have already been a million "can I teach in japan" questions up here, and I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I specifically want to know where should I live if I actually get there?

I was a japanese major in school, and though I have no real plans yet on what to do with it, I have decided that I'm really willing to pay for the teaching certificate and teach english in Japan for a year. (at least if I never require Japanese again, I can actually say I accomplished something while in Japan ). Ruling out a host family (as some programs offer), I've decided a tiny, tiny apartment would be economically just fine for me--until I realized a hostel offers great rates and amenities. But would living with a bunch of people going in and out for a year really be worth it? Would I even be able to stay a year without extra charges? I know a lot of it will really be ruled by where I end up teaching, but in general, can someone tell me if I would be better off in my own place, or sticking it out in a shared room and board where I'd have the advantage of prepaid utilities?
You don't need a teaching certificate to teach in Japan. You just need to be hired by a school or program, and chances are they will take care of the living arrangements for you.

I think an apartment would be much cheaper then living in a hostel. Why are you looking for a "tiny, tiny apartment"? Why not get a normal apartment?

Just curious, why the Japanese major?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
01-07-2011, 09:17 PM

For a whole year i would go with a apartment as well. If you are in the area of a big city the apartment will be expensive, but so will the hostel. And staying for a year in a hostel will most probably not be cheaper than an apartment.
If you end up outside the big citys you can easily rent a normal sized apartmenr with the salary of a english teacher. If you are in big citys the alternative to an apartment might be a gaijin house or shared house. Its a little bit like a hostel just that everyone gets their own room and shares shower and kitchen (often living area as well). The advantedge to a hostel is that if you want to be alone, you can easily seperate yourself from the other housemates and if you want to chat you can just hang out in the living room.
I did live in such a place for 2 month in Tokyo (Oakhouse was the company) and i did have a great time! I ended up making many friends (mainly japanese) and having a great christmas party there.

Some schools might offer you help with finding acomodation.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-08-2011, 01:28 AM

As MMM indicated, one does NOT need a teaching certificate to teach English in Japan especially if all you are hoping to do is get picked up by one of the McEikaiwa chain schools.

And, on top of that, if one were looking to get a TEFL certificate or equivalent, I think it would be more efficient and cost-effective to do it in your home country.

If you have a college degree with a Japanese major, why not apply for a position on the JET Programme? Since you have Japanese-language ability, instead of the usual ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) positions, you might consider trying out for CIR (Coordinator for International Relations).
(#5 (permalink))
Old
cupofwater (Offline)
New to JF

regular is fine too - 01-08-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You don't need a teaching certificate to teach in Japan. You just need to be hired by a school or program, and chances are they will take care of the living arrangements for you.

I think an apartment would be much cheaper then living in a hostel. Why are you looking for a "tiny, tiny apartment"? Why not get a normal apartment?

Just curious, why the Japanese major?
Hi MMM,

well I was figuring if I didn't for some reason like thier living arrangments, it woud be best to familiarize myself with the alternatives. I thought in some worse case scenario, if I didn't have enough money for a regular place, I'd be willing to live in a tinier one. I'm not big to begin with, so I'm willing to make sacrifices in order to have a little more in the future . But I guess if its affordable, I can handle an average place too!

also, I got the japanese major because( like everyone else) I was fascinated by the culture, and just really came to love being able to read japanese! I never really knew what I would do with it, but the one semester I got to go there didn't seem like enough. I need a longer time to get some sense of closure, ya know.(plus, I didn't put all my eggs in one basket. I had a double major in film, and have luckilly been getting by freelancing on that).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
cupofwater (Offline)
New to JF

gaijin house - 01-08-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
For a whole year i would go with a apartment as well. If you are in the area of a big city the apartment will be expensive, but so will the hostel. And staying for a year in a hostel will most probably not be cheaper than an apartment.
If you end up outside the big citys you can easily rent a normal sized apartmenr with the salary of a english teacher. If you are in big citys the alternative to an apartment might be a gaijin house or shared house. Its a little bit like a hostel just that everyone gets their own room and shares shower and kitchen (often living area as well). The advantedge to a hostel is that if you want to be alone, you can easily seperate yourself from the other housemates and if you want to chat you can just hang out in the living room.
I did live in such a place for 2 month in Tokyo (Oakhouse was the company) and i did have a great time! I ended up making many friends (mainly japanese) and having a great christmas party there.

Some schools might offer you help with finding acomodation.
thanks for your suggestion Firebird. Actually I did also consider the gaijin house situation for a while, but I felt it wouldn't be much different than the hostel. Also I was concerned about getting stuck in an place where I might be surrounded by more english than japanese. I really want to have the collequial japanese around me everyday so I can adjust to it. I don't want this to turn like the foreign kids dorm all over again (as in konnichiwa and hai are the most of what's said )
(#7 (permalink))
Old
cupofwater (Offline)
New to JF

Jet - 01-08-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
As MMM indicated, one does NOT need a teaching certificate to teach English in Japan especially if all you are hoping to do is get picked up by one of the McEikaiwa chain schools.

And, on top of that, if one were looking to get a TEFL certificate or equivalent, I think it would be more efficient and cost-effective to do it in your home country.

If you have a college degree with a Japanese major, why not apply for a position on the JET Programme? Since you have Japanese-language ability, instead of the usual ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) positions, you might consider trying out for CIR (Coordinator for International Relations).

hi steel,

yeah I know the certificate is not really needed, I was just saying if I come across a program that is exceptionally appealing I would do it. Before I go to japan of course.

I have looked into the CIR position before, but I decided it sounded too tedious in the end for someone like me to enjoy. If I'm going to be forced to translate and organize something, i'd rather it be lessons for young people I'll actually enjoy showing it to. So should I apply for the JET program, it will definately be for the ALT program.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
01-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofwater View Post
thanks for your suggestion Firebird. Actually I did also consider the gaijin house situation for a while, but I felt it wouldn't be much different than the hostel. Also I was concerned about getting stuck in an place where I might be surrounded by more english than japanese. I really want to have the collequial japanese around me everyday so I can adjust to it. I don't want this to turn like the foreign kids dorm all over again (as in konnichiwa and hai are the most of what's said )

Well if you want to be around japanese people more than foreigners than i´d definitely recommend a shared house. Stay away from places like Sakurahouse or other places that allow only foreigners in their houses. Than don´t stay directly in the citycenters and you can also ask how many foreigners/Japanese live in that house. In the Oakhouse in Kichijoji it was around 6 or 7 foreigners and around 10-12 Japanese wich was great.
And the chance that you will have alot of foreigners in a hostel will be high as well. And don´t expect to see your neigbours to much if you live in an apartment...

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
cupofwater (Offline)
New to JF

good idea - 01-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Well if you want to be around japanese people more than foreigners than i´d definitely recommend a shared house. Stay away from places like Sakurahouse or other places that allow only foreigners in their houses. Than don´t stay directly in the citycenters and you can also ask how many foreigners/Japanese live in that house. In the Oakhouse in Kichijoji it was around 6 or 7 foreigners and around 10-12 Japanese wich was great.
And the chance that you will have alot of foreigners in a hostel will be high as well. And don´t expect to see your neigbours to much if you live in an apartment...
yeah, I guess asking souds like the best idea. I would like people around occasionally to talk to. i'll see how things turn out, but at least now I'll know what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot.