JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
anaayoub (Offline)
New to JF

the conditions for teaching english in japan??? - 01-08-2011, 02:01 PM

hi every body I will have my licence in english and I wanna to ask u about the conditions of being a teacher of english in japan
and if there is some advice I mean ( you advice me to teach there or not) and thank you
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

01-08-2011, 02:19 PM

For the sake of the children, no.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaayoub View Post
hi every body I will have my licence in english and I wanna to ask u about the conditions of being a teacher of english in japan
and if there is some advice I mean ( you advice me to teach there or not) and thank you
Most places in Japan only accept native speakers of English, and then recruit from specific countries. Your certificate may well not be enough, and with all due respect, your English shown on JF so far isn't good enough to teach. Maybe absolute beginners or kindergarten, but those jobs are generally filled by Japanese speakers of English.

Generally it boils down to whomever is suitable and convenient for the employer, and a lot of luck.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

01-09-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
What kind of "license" do you have? Is it an English proficiency certificate? or is it an actual TEFL certificate?

As Columbine said, schools in Japan hire only native speakers, as this is a basic requirement specified by Japanese law. Besides being a native speaker, you will also need a 4 year or better university degree from an accredited university.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
anaayoub (Offline)
New to JF

01-09-2011, 04:15 PM

[quote=Columbine;845554]Most places in Japan only accept native speakers of English, and then recruit from specific countries. Your certificate may well not be enough, and with all due respect, your English shown on JF so far isn't good enough to teach. Maybe absolute beginners or kindergarten, but those jobs are generally filled by Japanese speakers of English.

How do u know that my eng isn't good enough to teach!!!. have I done with u a lesson or something like this??? or have u heard me speaking eng ?? dont say such as words
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-09-2011, 05:37 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 11:56 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
anaayoub (Offline)
New to JF

thank you robin - 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I think Columbine is basing her comments off your posts in the forum.

Your English is good, we can certainly understand what you say, but I agree with her that it isn't good enough to teach. If you teach English it has to be perfect, you're setting an example for your pupils and students. One doesn't use three question marks when asking a question, nor does one abreviate or shorten certain words such as 'you' or 'English' when trying to commuinicate to people who may/may not be very good at English, and to whom many of which come from countries outside of those that speak English and to whom it is a second-language.

I could go on, but my point is that your English is good enough to be understand by native-speakers, but it isn't good enough to be understood by those that are not native-speakers and still learning. It would not be good enough to teach to those who are learning.

thank you but u should know that generally in the forum, one uses chat style morever nobody could know if others are good in english or not just by reading their writing....but finally thank u
(#8 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-09-2011, 06:53 PM

I certainly would sue the school if I signed up for an English course in Tokyo and found out that my instructor spoke pidgin English. I couldn't stand hearing "wanna to". That's a double-to and even the average Japanese 12-year-old knows it is wrong.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

01-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
How do u know that my eng isn't good enough to teach!!!. have I done with u a lesson or something like this??? or have u heard me speaking eng ?? dont say such as words
Lazy forum-speak or not, you make clear and consistent errors and use collocations that betray you as a non-native speaker of English and those won't fly with schools. You have to be more than 'good'; you'll need to be of a native-level, and meaning no offense, you don't seem to be quite there yet. By all means, show me if I'm wrong and I'll gladly take it back.

I'm really not saying any of this to be mean, these are simply industry standards. I'm an EFL teacher; I've worked with non-native speaking EFL teachers; generally if you have to make an effort to be correct, then your English isn't considered good enough to teach at much more than the basic level, and native speaking EFL teachers always get preference over you anyway. Moreover, employers want someone they can put equally with a class of elementary learners and a class of upper intermediates and know that what is being taught is accurate. This is particularly true in Japan where a lot of people work in several different schools at any given time, with different class levels and abilities.

Last edited by Columbine : 01-10-2011 at 08:23 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

01-10-2011, 10:14 PM

If you want to teach English in Japan for a company which hires from overseas, you will be tested on your English ability. You will be required to fill out an application, cover letter, and likely write an essay as well, and these will be carefully scrutinized for any mistakes in spelling, grammar, etc.

Should you get through with your application/cover letter/essay, you will be interviewed on the telephone. The interviewer (a native-speaker/teacher) will listen carefully to your English speaking ability; he will judge your accent, diction, pronunciation, and intonation.

If you get through the telephone interview you may be interviewed once more in-person before actually being hired. At the personal interview you will likely to be given a timed test on your English knowledge, and you will have to make up a one-point, demonstration lesson. If you get through these, you will probably have to prepare an actual teaching lesson, and you will be judged on the quality of that lesson.

Using "internet English" says little more than that you are either too lazy to write in complete sentences, or that your English ability is poor, or both. If it's a result of laziness, an employer might be afraid that this laziness will be exhibited in the classroom as well. So lose the internet-speak and write like someone who actually knows how.

There is a lot of competition for teaching jobs in Japan right now, so employers can afford to be much more picky about who they hire. For the larger schools or JET, perhaps 1 person out of every 300 who applies will actually be hired. Do you think your English is better than those 299 other college-educated applicants? From the content of your posts, I don't think so. Try to write something coherent and prove me wrong.