JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kingfrog (Offline)
New to JF

complicated spouse visa question - 10-17-2011, 04:41 PM

hi, i've already read through the japanese goverment's immigration website, and i couldn't find a clear answer.

me and my japanese wife live together in the UK, my wife wants to study at university here in the UK, which is absolutely hideously expensive.

We have already lived together in japan 5 years ago.

I was thinking of returning to japan as work here in the UK is a bit slim, and staying for a year with my father-in-law in Osaka, teaching english. is that possible or will does my wife has to be resident in Japan as a sponsor.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

10-17-2011, 11:44 PM

I believe you won't find a single person who would take the responsibility of a definite answer to that.

I do know that they are going to wonder just how is your wife going to sponsor you (and this means "support financially") when she's just a student in UK and you're in Japan. They will also question your intentions to stay married to her when there are plans to put about 10 000 kilometers between you two. Doesn't exactly fit the image of marriage... of any culture.

Perhaps to try and see (and to include a carefully worded letter explaining your future plans together in Japan, and how your temporary separation is "painful but necessary part of preparations to that" or something something) is the best option. Your previous failed applications are not held against you like in the US, so you can try again once your situation is clearer.

With a quick googling, I found several cases where spouses of Japanese nationals opted other than a spousal visa for various reasons. Not me, though...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kingfrog (Offline)
New to JF

10-18-2011, 03:56 PM

ok thanks for your reply. i will ask some other peoples advice before contacting the embasssy.