JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

Students, modeling, and money (oh my) - 01-16-2011, 12:25 AM

Hi! Okay, um, this might be kind of dumb and I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me, but I thought I'd ask here anyway. Can't hurt to try, right?

Basically, I'm a new student at Temple University, Japan Campus (if you don't know, it's an American university--based in Philadelphia I believe--with a campus in Japan). I got accepted for Spring 2011, however, I didn't get offered as much money in government loans as I thought I would, and it left me $10,000 short. tl;dr version, I don't have $10,000 or any real way of getting it anytime soon, so I had my acceptance pushed back until I figure out what to do.

Now, at the moment I'm looking into getting a job, even though I have my doubts that I'll be able to get a job that will get me $10,000 over a couple of months. So I'm trying to look for other options as well. And one occurred to me that I want to ask about here. I model, and mostly because of my age and where I live, I haven't been able to get many paid jobs. But I know I saw a thread here a long time ago about modeling in Japan, and that there's a high demand for foreign models over there.

Now, my question is... do you think it would be possible for me to contact a modeling agency in Japan and get sponsored by them, and get flown over there? I don't have a TON of experience (I've been doing it for about six, seven months) but do you think it's even a possibility? Or would I have to get the money, go over there as a student, and then go to the agencies when I'm already there and see if they sign me?

It probably sounds like a dumb idea, but I just love Japan so much, I would do anything to get back over there as soon as possible. I do want to continue my education as a student and that campus is perfect for me, but if I can't get the money for it... at this point, I'm just looking for any and all possible ways to get back there.

I sincerely appreciate any help, advice, anything you can offer me. Thank you!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
01-16-2011, 01:02 AM

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. Being a successful model in Japan doesn't just come with being Caucasian/white. It takes hard work, a lot of experience and deep knowledge to what the industry is about. You don't mention what kind of modelling you've been doing, but I highly doubt that your short span of experience will be enough.

It's not a dumb idea - but it aint air tight either. I'd say go look for a job where you live now and maybe ask your parents if they will lend you the money. Modelling in Japan (for an expected 10,000 dollar sponsorship) is crazy if you ask me..

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-16-2011, 01:41 AM

There is high demand - and an endless supply of people wanting to make it big as a model in Japan... Something that translates to "lots of options, most desperate and willing to model for almost no pay to get a chance".
The endless supply of hopefuls are already IN Japan. I have honestly never heard of a modelling agency sponsoring a model and bringing them to Japan - let alone an amateur. If they do bring someone in, it`s someone they contract from an overseas agency.

If you do want to pursue it, you`ll need to already be in Japan and to have a professional portfolio. That will give you a chance to be listed at some agency... But that guarantees nothing other that your picture will show up in a large catalog of "on call" models. If no one chooses you, you`ll be out the registration fee and the cost of the portfolio.

In my opinion, you would be better off working for what you can and looking into regular student loans. There is a chance that you could make a fair amount of money working part time teaching in Japan, something that could be saved and applied toward loans when you head back home.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-16-2011, 02:18 AM

I have a friend in Japan who is a full time English teacher and he applied to do the exact same thing with a model/talent agency. In 15 years he has had exactly one job.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-16-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixisticks View Post
Hi! Okay, um, this might be kind of dumb and I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me, but I thought I'd ask here anyway. Can't hurt to try, right?

Basically, I'm a new student at Temple University, Japan Campus (if you don't know, it's an American university--based in Philadelphia I believe--with a campus in Japan). I got accepted for Spring 2011, however, I didn't get offered as much money in government loans as I thought I would, and it left me $10,000 short. tl;dr version, I don't have $10,000 or any real way of getting it anytime soon, so I had my acceptance pushed back until I figure out what to do.

Now, at the moment I'm looking into getting a job, even though I have my doubts that I'll be able to get a job that will get me $10,000 over a couple of months. So I'm trying to look for other options as well. And one occurred to me that I want to ask about here. I model, and mostly because of my age and where I live, I haven't been able to get many paid jobs. But I know I saw a thread here a long time ago about modeling in Japan, and that there's a high demand for foreign models over there.

Now, my question is... do you think it would be possible for me to contact a modeling agency in Japan and get sponsored by them, and get flown over there? I don't have a TON of experience (I've been doing it for about six, seven months) but do you think it's even a possibility? Or would I have to get the money, go over there as a student, and then go to the agencies when I'm already there and see if they sign me?

It probably sounds like a dumb idea, but I just love Japan so much, I would do anything to get back over there as soon as possible. I do want to continue my education as a student and that campus is perfect for me, but if I can't get the money for it... at this point, I'm just looking for any and all possible ways to get back there.

I sincerely appreciate any help, advice, anything you can offer me. Thank you!
I'd take a look at some of the links and advice posted here.

If you make the cut, it seems that modeling agencies do sponsor models over here on 3 month 'entertainer visas'. No idea if you'll 1) make that cut 2) make enough in savings for college.

Maybe you need to look harder for additional student loans. Then I would work part-time gigs while attending school...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sakurasake41 (Offline)
New to JF

01-18-2011, 05:10 AM

Alright, that's about what I thought... I didn't think they'd fly an amateur over either, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm building up my portfolio but whether it's got good enough photos or not, I don't know. I knew a lot of models when I was there as a student, but they'd been sent there by their agencies in their home countries (I have one, but I don't quite meet the requirements to get sent over at the moment, though I'm working on it). Ah well. Just trying to think of all my options! Thanks though.

Re: student loans, I can't get any private ones because I have no credit or anything, or I would. I'm looking into jobs while I'm stuck here in America, but I'm having trouble because I don't have a ton of experience in anything and my main skill (Japanese) isn't in high demand here. But I'll keep trying I suppose! Thanks again.