JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
BokiB (Offline)
New to JF

Language schools in Japan - 01-24-2011, 11:22 AM

Hey guys,

I have a question on long-term (1 to 1,5 years) study at a language school in Japan.

From what I could gather, most of the students in these long-term programs are Chinese/Koreans. I remember even seeing a picture of an Argentian girl in a language school, surrounded by her classmates (>20 Chinese students)

Does anyone have any experience studying in such an environment? Is it easy to interact/make friends etc?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-27-2011, 04:41 AM

I took a couple of community center Japanese classes a few years back, and it is as you say. I was the only non-Asian student, the rest were mainly Chinese, with a couple Filipinos/Koreans mixed in. I stopped going after a couple of classes as there were only a couple of old lady volunteers who were the "teachers", and there were more than 20 students, so it was impossible to get any one-on-one time with either of them.

A decent language school with smaller classes and personal instruction is more expensive, usually about 3000 yen per hour. You can often find people who will do "language exchange", where one week you teach English, and the next week your partner will teach you Japanese. It doesn't always work out well because in most cases neither party is a qualified or experienced teacher, so learning is slow and disorganized.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sakusakusakura (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Sakusakusakura
01-27-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BokiB View Post
Hey guys,

I have a question on long-term (1 to 1,5 years) study at a language school in Japan.

From what I could gather, most of the students in these long-term programs are Chinese/Koreans. I remember even seeing a picture of an Argentian girl in a language school, surrounded by her classmates (>20 Chinese students)

Does anyone have any experience studying in such an environment? Is it easy to interact/make friends etc?
Hi BokiB

About 60% of international students in Japan are from China so it is natural to see a lot of Chinese students in class.
And some schools are established by Chinese people. Almost 100% of students are chinese at those school.
However there is some schools accept students from various contries, of course.
I recommemd you to go that kind of school.

One of my friends from Panama went to Chinese party at his university.
(Actually I met him there for the first time.)
To my surprise they spoke Chinese at the party so I could not understand what they were talking. When they found I am Japanese they tried to talk to me in Japanese, though.
I admire his act. (coming to Chinese party)
For him, I think it is not difficult to make a friend. Actually he has a lot of friends here, not only Chinese and Korea.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
feriha (Offline)
New to JF

Thumbs up 01-28-2011, 07:48 AM

財団法人 アジア学生文化協会

(#6 (permalink))
Old
sunbreaker6 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to sunbreaker6
01-30-2011, 07:58 AM

Maybe I will seek in to this a little more...

True story of your life starts from Japan.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sakusakusakura (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Sakusakusakura
02-24-2011, 12:37 AM

Don't hesitate to have a look to our website !
We can give you advice about which school to choose according to your needs and wishes.
Actually there is a lot of possibilities and without real experience it is quite difficult to make that kind of choice. Especially just by yourself.
So please don't hesitate, we can help you ! We are here for that so..
(#8 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-24-2011, 01:03 AM

What's wrong with that even if 99% of your classmates are Chinese? School teaches you Japanese which you chose to learn. If you want non-Chinese friends, go to clubs and bars in Roppongi, Shibuya, or Shinjuku after school. There are many people from all over the world (including tons of japanese) in those area. Party up and make a lot of friends

Last edited by tipsygypsy : 02-24-2011 at 01:09 AM.