JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Matsun (Offline)
New to JF

Relocating into Japan... Family issues - 01-28-2011, 02:08 AM

Hello:
I'm Mark, 18 years old and from Germany. I am - well actually I was a student visiting 12th grade here till everything broke apart with my family here 2 months ago. I don't want to go into details, all I can say is that my Grandpa passed away resulting in greedy heirs (including my father) fighting for the left-over heritage. Quarrels between my parents finally resulted "surprisingly"(wasn't going well anyway since last year...) in divorce. Well I don't want to bother you with this, to cut a long story short, the reason I came here is the following:
My mother suggested that I visit and live at my relatives in Japan for a while to cut off some stress.
Result: They approved and my uncle ( german btw as his wife ) suggested visiting a Japanese Public High School while I am there.

First of I want to thank you all in advance, please answer my questions:
My questions to you Experts: I know more or less that you only are able to get a visa for max. 1 year, to stay in Japan, is this right? Will I actually be able to go to High School there? If it is possible to stay more than a year, can I graduate if I manage to get through High School? And my last question, are Public High Schools in Japan tuition free?

Thanks in advance,
Mark.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-28-2011, 08:53 AM

There is no tuition required to attend a Japanese public school, but you'll need to enroll under some type of foreign visitor program as regular students must pass an entrance exam to attend high school.

As a dependent of a Japanese resident, or as a student, you should be able to get a one year visa, you can inquire at the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA for short) for exact details. It would be best to spend a little time here before making any plans for a longer stay.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Matsun (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
There is no tuition required to attend a Japanese public school, but you'll need to enroll under some type of foreign visitor program as regular students must pass an entrance exam to attend high school.

As a dependent of a Japanese resident, or as a student, you should be able to get a one year visa, you can inquire at the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA for short) for exact details. It would be best to spend a little time here before making any plans for a longer stay.
Hello Sangetsu,
thanks for your help.

But I didn't quite get "foreign visitor program". Is it arranged from schools, so basically not every school has foreign visitor programs? I'm a bit confused, sorry. Ah, and 1 year was the limit right? Can't prolong it?

Thank you,
Mark.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsun View Post
My mother suggested that I visit and live at my relatives in Japan for a while to cut off some stress.
Were either of your parents born in Japan?

I'm just wondering if you'd be eligible for the "Child of a Japanese national" visa. That'd simplify a lot of things as far as a visa is required.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Matsun (Offline)
New to JF

01-28-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Were either of your parents born in Japan?

I'm just wondering if you'd be eligible for the "Child of a Japanese national" visa. That'd simplify a lot of things as far as a visa is required.
Hello spicytuna,

No, they were born in Germany =), it's just that my uncle went there because of his job, so it isn't possible for me to study more than a year, right?

Edit: Nevermind I found my answer here, "Residence permission is granted in periods of six months, one year or two years and is extendable. "

Thank you,
Mark

Last edited by Matsun : 01-28-2011 at 04:38 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-28-2011, 10:37 PM

The class of the public high school school is only Japanese.
(Exclude a special case)

If it is an urban area, it is an international school.
Or, it is a private school that teaches it excluding Japanese though the number is very little.

In the assistance of tuition, the public high school school is a full amount.
The subsidy of the tuition of a private high school is different in the region and the household revenue where it lives.

The visa of entering school was revised last year.
There seems to be a kind to which the period is extended, too.

The condition is not understood though the extension of the visa is also possible.
Issue terms of the visa are not understood. ;_;

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-28-2011, 11:09 PM

If you are 18 now and the school year ends in March, then you will be too old to attend traditional Japanese high school.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Matsun (Offline)
New to JF

01-29-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
If you are 18 now and the school year ends in March, then you will be too old to attend traditional Japanese high school.
Shoot :X, they have such a limit there, are you sure about this =) ? Hm, well how does working with a work&travel visa sounds while staying at my uncle ? Would be doable too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by siokan View Post
The class of the public high school school is only Japanese.
(Exclude a special case)

If it is an urban area, it is an international school.
Or, it is a private school that teaches it excluding Japanese though the number is very little.

In the assistance of tuition, the public high school school is a full amount.
The subsidy of the tuition of a private high school is different in the region and the household revenue where it lives.

The visa of entering school was revised last year.
There seems to be a kind to which the period is extended, too.

The condition is not understood though the extension of the visa is also possible.
Issue terms of the visa are not understood. ;_;
Hm, what are the chances for a "special-case" like me ?
I mean, it is somewhat true that I am maybe a little bit too old as a freshman, right? Or are there actually people who start over again even if they are 18 already? Learning Japanese won't be such a big problem, I may sound bold but I am miraculously good in languages, don't know why :X, besides my uncle's wife could teach me too. I am sorry but could you explain the assistance you mentioned? I don't quite get the meaning, I'm sorry.

Thanks for your help,
very friendly forum I appreciate it.
Mark
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-29-2011, 05:23 AM

There is no skipping grades or getting held back in Japan. If you have to quit school for some reason your only choice is to enter night school. I worked one day a week at a night school, and cannot recommend it.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2011, 06:39 AM

As far as I understand, each high school has an entrance exam which is done in Japanese. If you can go there and reach a grade 10 Japanese equivalent within a year, I'll personally pay for your tuition fees.

But more importantly, what kind of visa will you be using?

Your best bet would be to get a working holiday visa. You won't be able to extend it but you'll be able to live and work in Japan for a year.