JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
88487 (Offline)
New to JF

Working as translator/interpreter - 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM

Hi,
I recently joined this forum because I'd like answers to some questions that have been lingering in my mind since forever.
Last year I finished high school and right now I'm having difficulties with planning out my future. I've been wanting to live in Japan for a long time. I'm fond of languages and I'm also pretty good at them, so I'd very much like to be a translator or interpreter. I'm planning on learning at least three foreign languages through courses in the upcoming three years and getting a master degree, probably in english. Hence my questions are: how big is the chance to get a job as translator/interpreter in Japan when being fluent in english, japanese, dutch and three more languages? Which languages should I choose to learn? Is it wise to get a master degree in english or should I choose another language, or something totally different?
Thanks in advance for your reply!

PS. please don't start nagging about me being unable to become fluent in four languages within four years, I know what I'm capable of.
PPS. don't judge my english skills by checking this post for mistakes, my english writing skills aren't something to be proud of, I know I need to change that.

Last edited by 88487 : 02-04-2011 at 05:24 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

02-04-2011, 03:31 PM

You're not going to become fluent in four languages in four years.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88487 View Post
Hi,
I recently joined this forum because I'd like answers to some questions that have been lingering in my mind since forever.
Last year I finished high school and right now I'm having difficulties with planning out my future. I've been wanting to live in Japan for a long time. I'm fond of languages and I'm also pretty good at them, so I'd very much like to be a translator or interpreter. I'm planning on learning at least three foreign languages through courses in the upcoming three years and getting a master degree, probably in english. Hence my questions are: how big is the chance to get a job as translator/interpreter in Japan when being fluent in english, japanese, dutch and three more languages? Which languages should I choose to learn? Is it wise to get a master degree in english or should I choose another language, or something totally different?
Thanks in advance for your reply!

PS. please don't start nagging about me being unable to become fluent in four languages within four years, I know what I'm capable of.
PSS. don't judge my english skills by checking this post for mistakes, my english writing skills aren't something to be proud of, I know I need to change that.
First, you mean 'p.p.s', not 'p.s.s.'

Anyways - I agree with Wings, but seeing as that's not what you want to hear I'll try to answer your questions. I would say English is certainly a fantastic choice to get a degree in, mainly because it is the current lingua franca, but I would question whether its necessary to take it to a masters level. I think if you have a degree in the language then its proof enough of understanding, and it may be best to focus on other areas rather than spending too much time on just English (because, frankly, unless you aim to be a university professor I'm not entirely sure how far a masters would take you anyway, or what it could do that a regular degree can't).

In regards to translating . . . some members of the site work in (or are getting degrees in) translating and may be able to offer advice. I think you would need certificates to prove that you are profficient in said langauges, and probably a degree in translating (or your chosen languages), in order to stand a chance.

I think your choices in languages would probably be best in English, as its a main one, or perhaps something like Chinese or Spanish (languages that are widely spoken, or of importance in the business world). European languages are always useful, but in Japan I would imagine more Asian languages would be better learnt: Korean, Chinese etc.

I have a feeling I'm going to get corrected by people though, lol, I'm no expert after all.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-04-2011, 04:25 PM

if you can get one of English, Chinese or Japanese at native level, and the other two at business level, then you've got a road paved in gold ahead of you

why bother with a 4th language, and why bother going fluent.

if English is your native language then study Japanese and Chinese, major in Japanese and minor in Chinese and done. Being a native English speaker is worth more here than any paper saying you know the language. Dutch is such a useless language here... you might get one job every 3 years to translate a label on a towel or something.

Plenty of work for translators and interpreters etc

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
88487 (Offline)
New to JF

02-04-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
if you can get one of English, Chinese or Japanese at native level, and the other two at business level, then you've got a road paved in gold ahead of you

why bother with a 4th language, and why bother going fluent.

if English is your native language then study Japanese and Chinese, major in Japanese and minor in Chinese and done. Being a native English speaker is worth more here than any paper saying you know the language. Dutch is such a useless language here... you might get one job every 3 years to translate a label on a towel or something.

Plenty of work for translators and interpreters etc
English is not my native language (I'm dutch), that's why I was thinking about getting a degree in it. However, my english is obviously better than my japanese so maybe a major in japanese would be the best choice.

Last edited by 88487 : 02-04-2011 at 05:25 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
88487 (Offline)
New to JF

02-04-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
First, you mean 'p.p.s', not 'p.s.s.'

Anyways - I agree with Wings, but seeing as that's not what you want to hear I'll try to answer your questions. I would say English is certainly a fantastic choice to get a degree in, mainly because it is the current lingua franca, but I would question whether its necessary to take it to a masters level. I think if you have a degree in the language then its proof enough of understanding, and it may be best to focus on other areas rather than spending too much time on just English (because, frankly, unless you aim to be a university professor I'm not entirely sure how far a masters would take you anyway, or what it could do that a regular degree can't).

In regards to translating . . . some members of the site work in (or are getting degrees in) translating and may be able to offer advice. I think you would need certificates to prove that you are profficient in said langauges, and probably a degree in translating (or your chosen languages), in order to stand a chance.

I think your choices in languages would probably be best in English, as its a main one, or perhaps something like Chinese or Spanish (languages that are widely spoken, or of importance in the business world). European languages are always useful, but in Japan I would imagine more Asian languages would be better learnt: Korean, Chinese etc.

I have a feeling I'm going to get corrected by people though, lol, I'm no expert after all.
I indeed meant PPS, after after text. Would you happen to know which members are involved in translating and/or how to contact them? I'd like to ask them a few questions if they're okay with that. Thanks for the reply!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
88487 (Offline)
New to JF

02-04-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
You're not going to become fluent in four languages in four years.
..... orly
(#8 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

02-04-2011, 05:30 PM

yes rly. you are not the genius bum who lives here and was able to solve one of the 10 great mathematics's problems (and then refuse 1 billion or million reward ) and who is gifted with ability to learn language within 3 months on a close to if not native level.
if you had that gift you would have already mastered english not to mention other languages. even if in your case it is language per year.

Last edited by evanny : 02-04-2011 at 05:32 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88487 View Post
I indeed meant PPS, after after text. Would you happen to know which members are involved in translating and/or how to contact them? I'd like to ask them a few questions if they're okay with that. Thanks for the reply!
I believe Kasomi is studying to be a translator, and if I'm right I believe Nyororin has mentioned doing some translation work in the past. These two members are the only ones I know for certain, but I'm sure other members have mentioned it in the past, so perhaps they would reply to this thread when they see it . . .

If you look in the "Member List" option at the top of the forum page you can search for these two people I mentioned, and then send them a private message via the forum.

I think a private message is the best way to ask questions initially, and if they feel inclined they might perhaps exchange emails/IMs, but as the private messaging on the forum is effective enough at corresponding there perhaps wouldn't be a need for that. Either way I wish you luck at finding the answers you need
(#10 (permalink))
Old
88487 (Offline)
New to JF

02-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
yes rly. you are not the genius bum who lives here and was able to solve one of the 10 great mathematics's problems (and then refuse 1 billion or million reward ) and who is gifted with ability to learn language within 3 months on a close to if not native level.
if you had that gift you would have already mastered english not to mention other languages. even if in your case it is language per year.
What's the point of bashing when I'm asking to evade this topic? Both you and I won't get anywhere with your comment.

Last edited by 88487 : 02-04-2011 at 05:55 PM.