JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Vanguardo (Offline)
New to JF

Telephone interview for ALT position..help needed - 02-08-2011, 11:10 AM

Hi there
i have a telephone interview of an ALT position in Japan on Friday, i just wanted to know if anyone knew the sort of questions they may ask me etc
thank you for your time
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-08-2011, 03:30 PM

Speak clearly and carefully, watch your grammar. You'll be asked why you want to live and work in japan, so have a good answer ready. They also may require that you get an international driving permit, if you don't have one you can get it at your local AAA office. You might also be asked to introduce yourself in Japanese, so practice the basic "-your name- tomoshimasu, yoroshiku-onegaishimasu" etc. Sound confident and capable (even if you aren't). Good luck.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Vanguardo (Offline)
New to JF

02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

Thank you so much for that. i will heed your sound advice.
respect due
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-08-2011, 04:26 PM

why would they want an international driving permit? seems strange to me, first I hear of that

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-08-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
why would they want an international driving permit? seems strange to me, first I hear of that
It's actually common in a lot of the jobs I've seen advertised, they require a driving license (if not an international one), but of course to use a foriegn license you'd have to get it upgraded to an international one.

I think the logic I've seen is that the jobs that require this also require you to go to the client's place of work, as opposed to teaching in a classroom, or you may be required to travel around a variety of schools or homes. The travel aspect means that you need to drive, and so they require a license.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-08-2011, 05:00 PM

strange, seems impractical
I just transferred my license to a Japanese one, international licenses are only valid for a short period.

There aren't many alt positions that pay enough to afford a car lol, and it would be shocking if any of those companies provided cars to fob gaijin haha

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

02-09-2011, 01:04 AM

Many, if not most, ALT jobs outside the metro areas will require commuting by car as public transportation is less common. The company supplies the car and pays for the gas and maintenance. You can use the car for personal errands and such, though you must buy the gasoline. In some cases you can buy the car during subsequent contracts, or sometimes it is given away as a bonus or incentive.

Of the three schools I inquired with before coming to Japan, 2 required a Japanese license or an international driving permit. An international permit is only valid for one year. After one year you will need to get a Japanese license if you wish to continue driving in Japan.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-09-2011, 01:35 AM

I hadn't considered the rural areas at all >< I've spent too much time in bigger cities here heh...

That is one perk of the rural position that would honestly have made it tempting to me, had I known when I was looking for work.

I seriously miss the freedom of driving, I rent a car for new years and golden week road trips, and then drive my gf's parents car when they drink too much, but that's not even close to enough.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Vanguardo (Offline)
New to JF

02-11-2011, 03:22 PM

back to the topic!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

02-11-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguardo View Post
back to the topic!
Yes, back on topic, so.... since today is Friday, how did your interview go? It's Saturday now in Tokyo, so I figure it's happened?