JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
freebeer187 (Offline)
New to JF

American wanting to live in Japan to train kickboxing. Advice needed - 02-08-2011, 08:55 PM

Hi,

I am an American student who is in college. I have been to Japan before and I do speak very very little Japanese. I know random words and a few phrases, a couple kanji and I can read and write hiragan and katakana.

Anyway, this summer I am planning on going overseas to continue training Muay Thai. Of course, Thailand is the place to be for Muay Thai, but I am really scared to go there. I do not speak the language, I know nothing about the culture, and I hear there are mosquitos that if you get bit you will be sick in a bed for 7 days. No thanks.

I would like to train in Osaka. I have the money to get there and pay for everything, but I cannot seem to find a gym that accomidate living. I am planning on staying for one month (maby a little less or more depending on the situation). This would be in the summer probably in the begining of June.

Does anyone have any idea on what I can do to live in Japan for a month? Also, does anyone know a gym that they can lead me to? Ive tried to contact www.muaythai.jp twice via email. Both times they have not responded.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

02-08-2011, 11:42 PM

I know there's a Fairtex gym in Tokyo, Japan, but I don't know if they do accommodations (you should know Fairtex if you're really into Muay Thai).

I honestly think you should be more open to Thailand. You shouldn't make your decisions on "I hear they've got..." There are millions of Thai who get along every day just fine without being bed ridden. And if anything, you'd probably have an easier time in Thailand with the language than Japan, with all the "farang" and whatnot. You can find camps that have English speaking staff/trainers/etc. as well.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kazumi18 (Offline)
New to JF

re - 02-10-2011, 08:30 AM

thanks for share, it is useful.

---

i bring you

cheap authentic nfl jerseys
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-10-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeer187 View Post

Anyway, this summer I am planning on going overseas to continue training Muay Thai. Of course, Thailand is the place to be for Muay Thai, but I am really scared to go there. I do not speak the language, I know nothing about the culture, and I hear there are mosquitos that if you get bit you will be sick in a bed for 7 days. No thanks.
Thailand? You can get by really easily with English, unless you are way, waaaay out in the sticks, and even then you might be ok. The culture isn't impossibly difficult provided you learn a few key things (like touching heads is a no-no) and they're pretty used to foreign visitors anyway and for gods sakes, just keep up with your anti-malaria meds and use mozzie repellant/ a net if you don't want to be ill. You can get munched on by bugs in Japan or come down with a monster cold and end up stuck in bed for 7 days just as easily. But considering hundreds of thousands of dumb British teens, with no Thai language skills, no insight into the culture and no sense of self preservation, trample drunkenly up and down the country every year for months on end and usually survive, I should think you'd manage it just fine.