JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
NewYorkNewYork (Offline)
New to JF

Changing Jobs Working Visa - 02-10-2011, 08:37 AM

Hi,

It's been a while but my working visa has finally been approved and is waiting for me at the immigration bureau. I have made an agreement with my English school that I will work for them for six months before looking for work as a graphic designer – which is what I really want to do.

As language teaching and design both fall in to the humanities visa category I should in theory be able to change jobs on the same visa. However, the English school have said that if I leave I will have to give up the visa and re-apply.

Their reason was that they will be liable for tax even though I will no longer be working for them (sounds fishy).

Are they able to make me give up the visa? Can they in theory revoke it?

Also, what is the process for changing jobs? Do you just inform immigration?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

:-)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-10-2011, 11:17 AM

I found this site by a Japanese immigration lawyer

JAPAN : visa, immigration, working visa, spouse visa

Quote:
Your working visa is valid until it expires, even if you change your job. Your former employer can not take your visa away, and you can work at a new place under the visa you obtained with your former employer, if the type of activities remains the same.

If it changes however (for example from English teacher to an IT engineer), the category of your visa will no longer be appropriate, so you will need to change your visa (status of residence) as well.

In any case, it is highly recommended to apply for the Certificate of Authorized Employment when you change your job. This procedure will allow you to check with the Immigration office whether your new job enters within the type of activities that you are allowed to engage in under your current work visa. This procedure will avoid any problem at the time of your visa extension and will make it easier.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-10-2011, 03:09 PM

You will not have to apply for a new visa, you can simply apply for a change in visa status as shown in GoNative's post. Pay close attention to the contact that the English school gives you, it will probably be a one-year contract. You can't really be penalized for quitting early, but if they are providing an apartment they might try to deduct money from your final pay to cover breaking the lease agreement. Make sure you understand all the details before signing.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
NewYorkNewYork (Offline)
New to JF

02-10-2011, 03:26 PM

Thank you both for the helpful information.