JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
synce (Offline)
New to JF

Question Working as an immigrant in Japan? - 03-17-2011, 10:02 PM

I'm ditching the US and considering moving to Japan or Australia. I remember watching a program at one point talking about immigrants in Japan and how bad off they were - can anyone speak to this from personal experience? I'm not interested in any sort of JET-type program, I'm talking blue collar work. Assume I know some conversational Japanese
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tenmins (Offline)
JF Regular

03-17-2011, 10:22 PM

It is case-by-case based on the company as you would expect. In the main cities such as Tokyo and Osaka there are a lot of companies that are starting to embrace modern business styles such as reward for effort, flat company hierarchy and open communication between all employees.
On the other hand, most companies are still extremely hierarchical (ie. venting your frustrations about your job to your boss is just not on), rewards are based on how long you've been there and internal company politics is rife.
You would probably need to try a few different companies to find one that suits your working style but I think you should definitely give it a go.

The teaching English side is not that bad either and chances are you will be treated with more respect than if you entered a standard Japanese office.

I guess my basic message is, yes it could be a difficult experience but it also could be the greatest decision you ever make in your life. You will never know until you try.

My advice comes from the fact that I lived and worked in Japan for 3 years.

Less is more...

http://www.tenmins.com
(#3 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-17-2011, 10:33 PM

Personally I wouldn't get involved in the salaryman culture[I mean they must make up a lot of the people that commit suicide] but then some Japanese businesses might actually be looking for white people particularly because they'll bring new skills to the table.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tenmins (Offline)
JF Regular

03-17-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
... but then some Japanese businesses might actually be looking for white people particularly because they'll bring new skills to the table.
Yes that's a good point. There are companies looking for foreigners who bring different skills, ideas and connections to the office.

Less is more...

http://www.tenmins.com

Last edited by tenmins : 03-17-2011 at 10:53 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-17-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synce View Post
I'm ditching the US and considering moving to Japan or Australia. I remember watching a program at one point talking about immigrants in Japan and how bad off they were - can anyone speak to this from personal experience? I'm not interested in any sort of JET-type program, I'm talking blue collar work. Assume I know some conversational Japanese
What is this mysterious program that so many people have seen, but no one names by name?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
What is this mysterious program that so many people have seen, but no one names by name?
I can recall watching one that was about Chinese immigrants, and another that followed the lives of a family of immigrants from the Philippines. They both were about immigrants with low Japanese language skill, working in low paying blue collar positions.

I am also fairly certain that there was a BBC one about the dire lives of Brazilian factory workers in Japan.

I`ll try to find the names.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

03-18-2011, 07:57 AM

My personal experience: better than great.

Re: Blue collar work; you may have difficulty finding a visa

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I can recall watching one that was about Chinese immigrants, and another that followed the lives of a family of immigrants from the Philippines. They both were about immigrants with low Japanese language skill, working in low paying blue collar positions.

I am also fairly certain that there was a BBC one about the dire lives of Brazilian factory workers in Japan.

I`ll try to find the names.
Sadly, I think people get the impression that how Chinese or SE Asian immigrants are generally seen applies to all immigrants. An English teacher from London doesn't see himself as an "immigrant" and isn't treated as one. An undocumented worker from the Eastern hemisphere is not seen or treated the same way as an invited and visa carrying temporary one year visa English teacher.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
synce (Offline)
New to JF

03-19-2011, 04:15 AM

Oh in case I didn't make it clear, I'm not a college graduate. It's something I've been considering though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
My personal experience: better than great.

Re: Blue collar work; you may have difficulty finding a visa
Can't I just go on a tourist visa, find a job, and pay my boss to sponsor me? I know this guy who did something like that when he came to the US. Cost him about $6K to get his work visa
(#10 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

03-19-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synce View Post
Oh in case I didn't make it clear, I'm not a college graduate. It's something I've been considering though.

Can't I just go on a tourist visa, find a job, and pay my boss to sponsor me? I know this guy who did something like that when he came to the US. Cost him about $6K to get his work visa
The immigrations officer is the one you gotta bribe, not the boss, they are the ones that check to have the degree or significant work experience instead. and they tend to not take bribery lightly...
Immigrations officers rotate locations at least every 3 years to avoid that kind of corruption, in fact.

They'd also have to show that you're providing a skill that a Japanese person can't. Otherwise you're a job thief lol.

So, if you have significant work experience to counter balance the lack of a degree, and you are planning to work a job that can justify the need for a foreigner, then you're all set no bribery required.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.