JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ginko (Offline)
New to JF

Temple University admission ? - 02-12-2011, 01:22 AM

So I'm looking in to apply for Temple University in Tokyo to get a 4 year degree, and I'm having trouble finding a clear answer for my question

I'm trying to figure out the exact requirements for admission. All i can find is that you have to submit a copy of your High School diploma or GED. Theres nowhere where it says you have to have attended college or anything, so i wanted to see if anyone could confirm this. Ive graduated from High School, but decided not to attend college right away. So yea, any info or input would help

Thanks, Al
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

02-12-2011, 01:57 AM

Admission Qualifications

A. Completion of High School (secondary school) or Equivalent:
Have graduated or will graduate from an accredited secondary or high school, or
Possess a GED (General Education Development) certificate, Kosotsu Nintei Shiken (formerly Daiken), or its equivalent; and have at least 15 transferable college-level semester credits.

B. Minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA):
Applicants seeking a student visa through TUJ - 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
Applicants NOT seeking a student visa through TUJ - 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (or 3.0 on a 5.0 scale)

C. Minimum Test Score Requirement:
For Native English Speakers - SAT or ACT Examination
Minimum SAT score of 450 in both the Critical Reading and Math sections, or minimum ACT composite score of 21.

Admission Qualifications - Undergraduate Program
(#3 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

02-12-2011, 01:59 AM

I attend Temple University. There are plenty of freshmen here; you don't need to have gone to college before so long as you've passed high school, or have proof of going to graduate high school at the time of admission.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sitron (Offline)
Banned

02-12-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I attend Temple University. There are plenty of freshmen here; you don't need to have gone to college before so long as you've passed high school, or have proof of going to pass high school at the time of admission.
How do you like it there? I might take a second degree someday...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

02-12-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
How do you like it there? I might take a second degree someday...
It's okay. If you're looking for a stellar education, you'd might as well just do it back home at a more reputable school. To be honest, TUJ pretty much solely exists as a way to be in Japan while being able to maintain a visa (being productive). If people really cared about getting a really refined degree, they'd go get it at a school that specializes in their field. For most people at Temple, living in Japan is first, college is second. I'm not exactly lumping myself into this category, but to be fair, there is a perfectly fine campus located in Philadelphia that I could have just as easily attended for a fraction of the living expenses.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ginko (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2011, 02:11 AM

Thank you both for the info. One thing im concerned about is that it says you have to have had a 3.0/5.0 GPA. My grades dropped in the second half of high school due to personal reasons, so im wondering if the 3.0 out of 5 is absolutely necessary, or can it be waived?

once again thanks for the quick replys
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

02-12-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginko View Post
Thank you both for the info. One thing im concerned about is that it says you have to have had a 3.0/5.0 GPA. My grades dropped in the second half of high school due to personal reasons, so im wondering if the 3.0 out of 5 is absolutely necessary, or can it be waived?

once again thanks for the quick replys
Since you're only coming out of high school and do not possess any college credit, your GPA cannot be waived. If it's slightly above, they'd still take you into consideration, but there is a firm minimum requirement. This is for every college.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ginko (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2011, 02:20 AM

hmm i see, ok then. Do you know how i could upgrade my GPA or something, what would you suggest i do to be able to get accepted. I cant seem to find a clear answer on how to do this
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

02-12-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginko View Post
hmm i see, ok then. Do you know how i could upgrade my GPA or something, what would you suggest i do to be able to get accepted. I cant seem to find a clear answer on how to do this
You can't upgrade your GPA. The grades you've earned are the grades you've earned, and it's just a cumulative average. The easiest and most reliable option would be to go to a community college/junior college and accumulate college credit. If you obtain something like 30-32 college credits, this waives your SAT/ACT/equivalent, and the emphasis is put on your university grades instead of your high school grades. The problem is, if you have no college credit, the only thing the school can base you on is your high school performance. So if you're high school performance doesn't meet the requirements, you essentially have to show that you've reformed in college. To be able to earn this many credits in college is going to take about 1 year to a year and a half, however.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ginko (Offline)
New to JF

02-12-2011, 03:50 AM

ok thanks, now for (hopefully lol) one last question. Are there any colleges or some such that i can get into in Tokyo? Like a public college or something that i could take some courses and get credits to go into another college or university

btw im looking online as well, not tryin to get you guys to do all the work for me lol, jsut want second opinions/input

thanks

Last edited by Ginko : 02-12-2011 at 04:06 AM.