JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tanabear1993 (Offline)
New to JF

My many questions about Japan - 02-21-2011, 01:23 AM

Ok, so it's my dream to live in Japan. It has been for a while. I can't tell you how many books I own about Japanese culture. I'm 17 and a junior in high school. After I graduate, I want t move there as soon as possible. Of course, this depends on whether or not I have enough money at that time. I have been saving up for a while now, but still need quite a bit.
I want to do some type of work abroad type program. I don't want to do the kind that makes you comeback after a year or so. I just want to stay there. I don't expect to go there and get rich, like some people do. Enough money to just live off of is plenty for me. I was thinking of something like just working in a random store or food service place.
Also, I know a lot of the people who are on this website live in Tokyo or somewhere around there. But I want to live in Kyoto, hopefully Higashiyama. I really love the old Japanese culture that is still alive there.
So here are my questions:
1. Which type of work visa do you think I would need? I have done some research, but it confuses me a little.
2. Do you know of any work abroad websites that would allow me to find jobs without having to be part of a program?
3. Are foreigners welcome to live in Higashiyama? I know that foreigners travel there, but I don't know about living.

Also, if I worked at somebody's home would I need a working visa? I mean doing a homestay kind of thing.

Last edited by tanabear1993 : 02-21-2011 at 04:02 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-21-2011, 02:01 PM

1. You'd need someone to sponsor you in order to obtain a work visa, and for most cases, you need a four-year (or three-year, depending on where you're attending) degree. The other way around that is having many years (a min of ten, iirc), of experience in the field you'd like to work in. That aside, what parts specifically confused you about the whole visa thing?

2. I don't know of any, but seems the most logical thing to do, would be to go to college, get a degree in whatever field interests you, hope to get a job with a company that also deals with international business and hope that one of those countries is Japan and maybe apply to work in that particular branch if a job opens up for it.

3. I have no idea, but I'm sure they are, just as long as you follow the rules and all that, but that pretty much goes without saying regardless of where you go, right?

Anywho, what field of work are you actually interested in? If you want to work in Japan, no matter where it is or what type of a stay, you'd still need a work visa.

I'll leave this for the more knowledgeable people. This is just my opinion on the matter. I feel that the best choice, given your age, is to just go to college so that you can focus on a career first of all. In your post, you didn't mention anyplace what you actually wanted to do, aside from maybe working in a store or restaurant. Unless you probably come across an English-run place, I doubt you'd have much luck here. I'm quite certain that you'd need a high Japanese proficiency level because you'd have to communicate with customers in Japanese.

Anyway, you should check out this sticked thread. You should read through it if you haven't had the chance to yet.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 02-21-2011 at 02:03 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2011, 05:53 PM

I am not familiar with "work abroad" programs other than JET, but I can't imagine there are multi-year work abroad programs that don't require a college degree.

I recommend reading this thread:
Graduate from college if you want to live in Japan.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
02-21-2011, 06:03 PM

brush up ur japanese skills before u come here to work..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-23-2011, 03:37 AM

To have any kind of life in Japan you are going to need at least a 4 year university degree. You can do like some other non-university educated guys I know who married Japanese citizens, but a couple of them work at menial jobs which barely pay enough for them to survive.

If you are a junior in high school now, you should be studying your ass off so you can get into a university. If you can keep a high GPA in your senior year, then you might qualify for a scholarship of some kind.

Unless you want a career working in a factory, or, worse than that, having to ask "would you like fries with that?, then you better go to college.