JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
genlethu25 (Offline)
New to JF

Apartments in Tokyo. - 05-04-2010, 08:14 AM

I'm planning to go to Japan(Tokyo) to study next year so i'll need to start researching on accomdations.

I've been to a handful of online websites on renting an apartment or staying at the dorm.

Please correct me, if i'm wrong, but that's what i calculated from those sites i visited.

I'm looking for a 1K/studio apartment, I'll prolly be living alone so one room with a small kitchen, toilet and unit bath would be good enough.

A 1K/studio apartment @ Takadanobaba / Shin-okubo / Otsuka would cost prolly min round of 80,000yen and as for dorm, prolly the same?

And ss Takadanobaba / Shin-okubo / Otsuka safe to live at?

Hope kind souls out there will be able to help me.
Appreciate a lot, thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-04-2010, 11:48 PM

Safe ?

Japan is a LOT safer then pretty much any country I've ever been too.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

05-05-2010, 03:37 PM

shin-okuba is actually one of the few areas that might be considered less safe by some. whether or not it would be unsafe for you is a different matter however.

i've been there a couple of times, and yes, it is a little dodgy, but the food is nice with lots of korean and other asian food stands.

hopefully someone else will reply too and give you their opinion.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#4 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-05-2010, 11:37 PM

I agree with the above, if you were looking for one of the least safe areas in Tokyo, Shin-Okubo would probably be it as it is on the fringes of the red-light district and has a kind of transient population.

That said, it is still safer than most big cities, so provided you don't regularly walk home alone at 3am it should be fine. Takadanobaba and Otsuka are safer than Okubo, but you always have to be a bit careful when walking around late at night in big cities, Tokyo is no exception.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genlethu25 View Post
I'm planning to go to Japan(Tokyo) to study next year so i'll need to start researching on accomdations.

I've been to a handful of online websites on renting an apartment or staying at the dorm.

Please correct me, if i'm wrong, but that's what i calculated from those sites i visited.

I'm looking for a 1K/studio apartment, I'll prolly be living alone so one room with a small kitchen, toilet and unit bath would be good enough.

A 1K/studio apartment @ Takadanobaba / Shin-okubo / Otsuka would cost prolly min round of 80,000yen and as for dorm, prolly the same?

And ss Takadanobaba / Shin-okubo / Otsuka safe to live at?

Hope kind souls out there will be able to help me.
Appreciate a lot, thanks in advance!
Talk to your school about accommodations. It can be very expensive to rent on your own initially, and some places don't like to rent to foreigners because they don't follow the rules and skip out before the lease is up. The school may have deals set up with local apartments.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
genlethu25 (Offline)
New to JF

05-08-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
I agree with the above, if you were looking for one of the least safe areas in Tokyo, Shin-Okubo would probably be it as it is on the fringes of the red-light district and has a kind of transient population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
shin-okuba is actually one of the few areas that might be considered less safe by some.
YES YES~ That's what I'm worried about, because from what I heard. Telling people that u're staying in Shin-okubo, people might give u one look huh?
ahhhhhh. but apartments there are quite ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Talk to your school about accommodations. It can be very expensive to rent on your own initially, and some places don't like to rent to foreigners because they don't follow the rules and skip out before the lease is up. The school may have deals set up with local apartments.
My language school do not have any partner deals with any local apartments, they only recommended some places~ Like example Leopalace, but they're a little pricy huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issen View Post
Tried looking there before but nothing's within my 'wish list'
But still, thanks for the input!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-10-2010, 01:33 AM

if you don't mind living a bit out of Tokyo just 30 minutes by odakyu line

Villa Saranda

very nice location and very nice house..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Check out Leopalace 21. They are cheap, and don't require the usual several months of deposits or paperwork for guarantors. You can get internet, unlimited pay television and utilities included in your rent (which saves the trouble of paying for these bills separately.

Leopalace apartment buildings are more common than McDonald's or Starbucks in Japan, so you should be able to find one in whatever area you want to live.