JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DarkAngelAthena (Offline)
New to JF

Arrow Four Year Degree VS a Technical School - 03-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Hello
I am a foreign student in Tokyo, and I have been looking into the options of either a technical school or a four year degree at a university. I know the best choice in Japan when it comes to career and education plans is usually the four year degree, but I was just curious to know about the pros and cons of these two: is two years at a technical school in a chosen field enough to find a job within that same field after graduating? or is it still difficult to find a job even with the completion of a technical school? my original plan when I came to Japan was to complete language school and then transfer into an animation college, but I have heard different stories from many gaijin here, some would say it'd be better to hit the road back to the US, and others say it would be a good idea to continue with transfer. Then there's the school itself that says they will help students find a job in the field after completing courses, but obviously they're not gonna tell me if it is going to be difficult afterwards.
If anyone has any suggestions or confirmed knowledge about these two education systems, please let me know... thanks to anyone who will take the time to read and reply to this post, if any.

=^.^= =^.^= =^.^= =^.^=

Last edited by DarkAngelAthena : 03-01-2010 at 07:14 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

03-01-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngelAthena View Post
Hello
I am a foreign student in Tokyo, and I have been looking into the options of either a technical school or a four year degree at a university. I know the best choice in Japan when it comes to career and education plans is usually the four year degree, but I was just curious to know about the pros and cons of these two: is two years at a technical school in a chosen field enough to find a job within that same field after graduating? or is it still difficult to find a job even with the completion of a technical school? my original plan when I came to Japan was to complete language school and then transfer into an animation college, but I have heard different stories from many gaijin here, some would say it'd be better to hit the road back to the US, and others say it would be a good idea to continue with transfer. Then there's the school itself that says they will help students find a job in the field after completing courses, but obviously they're not gonna tell me if it is going to be difficult afterwards.
If anyone has any suggestions or confirmed knowledge about these two education systems, please let me know... thanks to anyone who will take the time to read and reply to this post, if any.

=^.^= =^.^= =^.^= =^.^=
From what I understand, many companies have particular technical schools which they target and your chances of getting employment at the respective companies is pretty high as long as you achieve reasonible grades.

Apart from that, I could not distinguish the pros and cons of technical school vs. 4 year degree. I imagine it also will greatly depend on the prestige of the institute you attend.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-01-2010, 11:11 PM

Just to be clear, you are a high school student in Tokyo now?

I think the answer to your question depends on what you are looking for in the future. The four year degree will open more doors in a broader sense in the future, but if it takes a technical degree to get into an animation studio, and that's what you want, then that's the way to go.

But let's make sure animation studios hire foreigners to work for them first. The visa process is a long and complicated one, so why would an animation studio hire you to draw cells when there are qualified Japanese who they can hire without the hassle.

You have to bring something special to any job you apply for, unless you can find another path to permanent residency.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
DarkAngelAthena (Offline)
New to JF

03-02-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Just to be clear, you are a high school student in Tokyo now?

I think the answer to your question depends on what you are looking for in the future. The four year degree will open more doors in a broader sense in the future, but if it takes a technical degree to get into an animation studio, and that's what you want, then that's the way to go.

But let's make sure animation studios hire foreigners to work for them first. The visa process is a long and complicated one, so why would an animation studio hire you to draw cells when there are qualified Japanese who they can hire without the hassle.

You have to bring something special to any job you apply for, unless you can find another path to permanent residency.
hehe no, I'm not a high school student I am a college student (I just didn't complete my second college year in the US) I see now that a technical school may be an option then... but there is the fact like you said that studios would most likely hire qualified Japanese rather than foreigners, unless they see you have something special... which is understandable, as there are people out there who are insanely talented, and the field itself from what I heard is that you have to be excellent in your work to be considered for job positions. I guess this will give me something to think about during the time left I have in language school, if it does become the next step after completing Japanese courses...

=^.^= =^.^= =^.^= =^.^=

I am deh kitteh =^.^=

Last edited by DarkAngelAthena : 03-07-2010 at 01:35 PM.