JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
NickyLouise (Offline)
New to JF

Spending time and possibly studying in Japan - 03-10-2011, 03:21 AM

Hi, I apologies if this turns out to be a long post.

I'm from the UK and I graduated with a software engineering degree last summer (from a uni here). I've had an interest in the Japanese language and culture for a few years now. Despite trying to self teach my self the language a few times I've never got very far. I lacked the motivation because I had no idea if I would ever be able to go to Japan, and then other interests would come up and I'd forget about it for a while. I've been doing some research on Japanese culture recently and it's made me decide for definite that I want to spend time in Japan. Right now in my life I'm not really doing anything so I'm also trying to figure out what I want to do next for my career.

I had an idea that maybe it would be possible to combine the two and take my masters in Japan (obviously learning the language first). But I don't know if this is a good idea or if I should plan to do something else in Japan. It made some sense to me because of Japan being technically advanced, and I would be doing a computing course.

So here are my questions:

How would you advise I go about learning the language? Self-study clearly hasn't been working for me, but I have learnt the very very basics, and have learnt hiragana and katakana and some kanji (I found a great book that teaches kanji but I need motivation to get on with it). Would a full Japanese course here or a language school in Japan be worth the money?

What level of language proficiency would I need if I did decide to study in Japan? I know some universities offer a 6 month pre-course to help with language but obviously that isn't enough time to learn the language.

Having learnt the language how hard would it be to get a palace on a masters course at a good university in Japan? And having got the degree how well recognised would it be outside Japan?

I know it's possible to get a scholarship as a foreign student via the Japanese embassy in my country, but how hard would this be to get?

Finally, if you don't think getting my masters in Japan would be worthwhile how would you recommend I experience Japan? I don't want to just go for a short holiday. I want to really get to experience the language and culture. Would it be difficult to find a job as a foreigner?

And if you read all that, thank you! Any advice or recommendations you could give me, or any information you think would be helpful, would be greatly appreciated.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-10-2011, 05:41 AM

How would you advise I go about learning the language? Self-study clearly hasn't been working for me, but I have learnt the very very basics, and have learnt hiragana and katakana and some kanji (I found a great book that teaches kanji but I need motivation to get on with it). Would a full Japanese course here or a language school in Japan be worth the money?

I think your money would be better spent living in Japan and learning more through osmosis than taking a class. You have a university degree, so you could apply to JET or other programs to get placed in Japan.

What level of language proficiency would I need if I did decide to study in Japan? I know some universities offer a 6 month pre-course to help with language but obviously that isn't enough time to learn the language.

In Japanese? Better than fluency. I wouldn't recommend that path.

Having learnt the language how hard would it be to get a palace on a masters course at a good university in Japan? And having got the degree how well recognised would it be outside Japan?

I have been a student of Japanese for about 20 years, and have been a professional translator for 5+, and I wouldn't dare imagine I could get a Master's degree in Japanese language. There wouldn't be enough hours in a day to read, write and keep up with my studies, even if I didn't sleep.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
03-11-2011, 01:34 AM

Finally, if you don't think getting my masters in Japan would be worthwhile how would you recommend I experience Japan? I don't want to just go for a short holiday. I want to really get to experience the language and culture. Would it be difficult to find a job as a foreigner?

If you are under 30 years old you can get the Working Holiday Visa.
It will allow you to stay in the country for 1 year and it will allow you to do almost any job.
There is no Japanese needed but i advice to learn some first. Getting a job that pays enough to have a nice life is not easy as a foreigner. But its not impossible and you are a native english speaker so you should be able to get a teaching job easily. They usually require you to work 1 year but because you already have a legit working visa i´m sure you will be able to find something shorter.

For the language: I went to school once a week (2hours) for 6 month (so a total of aprox 48 hours) adn learned a bit at home. Than i went to school in Japan for 5 weeks, 20 hours each week. This was enough to get me started and i learned alot more along the way. I spent 1 year in Japan on the WHV and worked 5 month, went to school 5 weeks and travelled most of the left 6 month. However i did save up money in advance!

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
YMO (Offline)
New to JF

05-19-2011, 01:06 AM

Hi NickyLouise,

Why not consider one of the new Global 30 international degree courses? I teach on Tsukuba University's G30 program (biology), and I know we have a range of Masters programs taught entirely in English. Tuition fees aren't too bad, and scholarships are available for most courses. You should check out our website (Degree programs in English in Japan - University of Tsukuba) and drop us an email.

You can also ask other questions here, if you like.