JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-28-2011, 07:14 AM

I think this comes down to people skills and work history. Since you're interested in Japan that equates to Japanese people skills and Japanese work history, as far as I can tell.

I don't think I could pass the JLPT 2 (I might be able to if I studied for it)... let alone 1. I've never tried the test, but I have a decent knowledge of what is expected. Yet I've talked with people who have passed both... and while some of them are good at Japanese some of them are absolutely terrible. I've had people ask me for advice on how to study for the JLPT 1... and then they're shocked when they hear I haven't tried it and admit that I probably wouldn't pass even if I tried. So I agree with the notion that it's not the end-all-be-all.

However, Japan seems to be a country that loves standardized tests. So the more of them that you've passed it seems like the better off you will be, no? It's like they have these tests for everything. While it might only be the slightest indication of actual skill, I guess it shows that you put the time into completing something. I don't know if that's how it's perceived though. In other words, the JLPT just seems like one of many qualifications (資格, しかく). While having more qualifications might give you better pay, you need a job in the first place to get better pay.