(#21 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
03-31-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
the question was either he can be naturalize if he marries a japanese, that was what I answered.

Yes , having a spousal visa helps a lot with work and starting a business but it will not guarantee for naturalization or even permanent residency.
how long do spousal visas last?

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#22 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-31-2011, 06:48 PM

So should I rush to get a Japanese wife or can I take my time?
(#23 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

04-01-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
how long do spousal visas last?
the magic words are "it all depends".
1, 3 or in the future 5 years.

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ
(#24 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
04-02-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
the magic words are "it all depends".
1, 3 or in the future 5 years.
any insight as to what? thx

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-03-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
any insight as to what? thx
First few years of a spouse visa will be 1 year. Depending on you age and how serious they judge your marriage to be - they`ll start giving you the 3 year one after that. If you look suspicious, they won`t give the 3 year until you have a child.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-03-2011, 03:21 AM

There's no difference with what you can do with the 1,3 or 5 year visas though

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Koroshiya (Offline)
New to JF

07-03-2011, 05:40 PM

M'kay. So, my wife and I have been looking into this and I have a lot of conflicting information that I want clear up if anyone can offer some insight. We are planning to move to Japan via the Global 30/MEXT scholarship programs. She is currently looking to becoming a research student at Tokyo Metropolitan College in the field of Geographic Information System (GIS) and Urban Planning. After the research period is over, she has the option to move straight into her Masters degree (which she plans to do). As long as she gets the proper recommendations (from her employer and/or the Japanese Consulate in America) and her Thesis is solid, everything should work itself out from there.

We have looked at numerous website weighing the difference between naturalization and permanent residency. We have decided that naturalization will best coincide with our future plans. As I understand it, the prerequisites for naturalization are as follows.

1) Live there five years.
2) Be over 20 years old.
3) No criminal record.
4) Proof of financial stability/ability to support one's self.
5) Competency in the language.
6) Relinquish citizenship in country of origin.

Essentially, this criteria does not appear difficult to achieve, in the slightest. I have the means to get there and stay there (assuming plans do not fall through). However, is it really as easy as it appears? I have heard horror stories from friends about people they knew that have lived in Japan for 20 years, as missionaries, and their application is always denied. In contrast, I have read a lot of success stories online. Is it really so ambiguous?

So, I have a couple major concerns...

Aside from not meeting the above criteria, what other non-essential occurrences have the potential to cause a naturalization application to be denied? There has to be a reason why they would. I'm mostly referring to the case of the family that has been denied naturalization despite having been there so long.

Also, friends with friends/family in Japan (so this is second hand information) tell me that one must have USD $90,000 worth of assets as part of qualifying for this process. I thought this might be construed as criteria #4. But, I haven't been able to find evidence to support this claim. Based on context, it appears that you must simply have the skills necessary to acquire/already have a job that can support a family adequately. Might anyone have clarification on this, as well?

Last edited by Koroshiya : 07-03-2011 at 05:45 PM.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

07-03-2011, 06:38 PM

tl;dr

But did you ever say why you both want to just pack your bags and become citizens of Japan?

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-04-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroshiya View Post
We have looked at numerous website weighing the difference between naturalization and permanent residency. We have decided that naturalization will best coincide with our future plans.
Although this may be a personal question - what are your reasons for deciding that naturalization would be superior to permanent residency in your case?

I`ve started, and (temporarily aborted due to financial constraints) the naturalization process, so will add what I know to the requirements.

Quote:
1) Live there five years.
Five conscutive years as a self sufficient adult (supporting yourself financially) with a steady job on a visa other than "student" or a dependent of anything other than a citizen. You can technically get by with 3 years as a dependent of a citizen.

Quote:
2) Be over 20 years old.
If you are too young to have the 5 years of self sufficiency, you pretty much have to be a dependent of a citizen.

Quote:
3) No criminal record.
Not quite - you can have a minor record. It is the type of record that matters - apparently minor offenses don`t count against you.

Quote:
4) Proof of financial stability/ability to support one's self.
If you did okay for 1, unless you have lost your job, you should be fine with this one.

Quote:
5) Competency in the language.
I have always heard this one as more to do with lifestyle than straight language ability.

Quote:
6) Relinquish citizenship in country of origin.
A big point to remember with this one - if they don`t think that you are likely to give up your other citizenship/s, they will not grant you Japanese citizenship.

Quote:
However, is it really as easy as it appears?
Fortunately, and unfortunately, it is not. Those are the requirements for being eligible to apply. The actual process after you apply is a different matter entirely.

Being married to a Japanese citizen, having Japanese ancestry, having children who speak only Japanese, only being able to speak Japanese fluently, owning property in Japan, etc, are things that seem to make a difference. You prior visa history also seems to make a difference - someone who has gone through, say, a student vise → work visa → permanent residency visa is more likely to be looked on favorably than someone who has just been in Japan on a work visa. You don`t technically have to have a permanent residency visa, but there is no doubt that it goes a long way toward showing your commitment to remaining in the country.
Another big factor that comes into play is how likely they think you are to leave Japan (a big reason for keeping a previous citizenship, for example) - something that goes hand in hand with how likely you are viewed to vote with interests other than those of Japan in mind. You may find this a significant wall - if you and your wife are both from another country, the roots you have laid down in Japan are likely to be considered more shallow than the roots of family and past you have left in another country.
They also judge how likely you are to use your acquired citizenship as a foothold to bring others in your family (who now have direct blood ties to a citizen) into the country.

Quote:
Is it really so ambiguous?
When it comes to non-Asian, not-born-in-Japan applicants... there are only a handful of applicants a year. I recall reading that there are less than 20 applicants a year, and only 5 or so are granted. It is a very individualized process. It is completely case by case.

Quote:
Also, friends with friends/family in Japan (so this is second hand information) tell me that one must have USD $90,000 worth of assets as part of qualifying for this process.
I have never heard this, and it was never mentioned in my case.

Quote:
Based on context, it appears that you must simply have the skills necessary to acquire/already have a job that can support a family adequately.
More like "have the skills, the job, and proof of stability in that position".

----

The big bottleneck for me has been the required documentation and paperwork dealing with the US side. This requires multiple trips to the US - something that we can`t really afford.
You need a LOT of documentation. You have to create a family record that is as detailed as those for the rest of the population... Some of this documentation simply doesn`t exist in other countries.

I have to prove that I am a first child, that my parents were not married and divorced prior to my birth. I have to prove birth order for my siblings (as they go on the record too) and I have to prove that I have no additional siblings. I have to provide records of the birth of my parents, and records of their marriages and divorces. I also need detailed records of all of my addresses from birth to present....

The list goes on and on. Thank god I am not an only child as there is NO WAY to prove you are an only child based on US records.

My parents are divorced and my father is, well, I don`t really know where. Scraping together records of his marriage/s and divorce/s, and proof of no other marriage/s and divorce/s is NOT easy. It`s virtually impossible with family I do still have contact with.

Even with the easy ones, a lot of these records you have to be present to obtain.

The costs of documentation and paperwork caused the process to jerk to a halt in my case.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
blimp (Offline)
偽関西人

07-04-2011, 01:30 AM

@koroshiya

pls be aware that the requirements that you listed above are only a guidelines. that is most likely why you hear so many different stories on naturalisation. each application will be looked at individually. for someone who is not married to a japanese citizen ten years seem to be the period that is most often mentioned. the government is apparently investigating whether or nor to introduce a point-system for visa/pr/naturalisation. i know a couple of years ago MoJ went to UK to study its system.

current legislation on naturalisation
THE NATIONALITY LAW

六甲颪(おろし)に 颯爽(さっそう)と
蒼天(そうてん)翔(か)ける日輪(にちりん)の
青春の覇気 美(うるわ)しく
輝く我が名ぞ 阪神タイガース
※オウ オウ オウオウ 阪神タイガース フレ フレ フレフレ