JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

English teachers and there "off-campus" behavior - 04-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Hey all, I was going through threads/posts/blogs of different people. I found quite a number of people currently residing in Japan taking up some form of teaching profession. Some are even "professor" at universities and such

That said, i am wondering how these teacher behave outside of campus? The reason why I ask this is, in North America, there were cases where teacher who lost their job due to unpleasant behavior outside of school. Yes, its a free world, but as a teacher, there are certain image that one should uphold because the student look to them as a role model, and the world just expect that much more from these professions.

I ask this because I notice that some of these netizen's choice of word/topic/behavior just doesn't comes out to be a fit in the "role model" rank, and am wondering how does the current teacher felt about that and what about others....

MODS, feel free to move this to General Discussion... I thought there might be more english teacher roaming around this area, but General Discussion maybe a better fit
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-18-2011, 08:51 AM

There are all kinds of people teaching English, and not all of them are saints. Most behave well, but there are those who have gotten into trouble. Over the past couple of years I have heard of at least 2 foreign English teachers at universities being deported for marijuana use, another teacher who was arrested for fondling children, and the common "I woke up in the police station after drinking too much the night before". An ALT I know was forced to leave his job when he was seen having coffee with a female student from his school, there are many stories here.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
There are all kinds of people teaching English, and not all of them are saints. Most behave well, but there are those who have gotten into trouble. Over the past couple of years I have heard of at least 2 foreign English teachers at universities being deported for marijuana use, another teacher who was arrested for fondling children, and the common "I woke up in the police station after drinking too much the night before". An ALT I know was forced to leave his job when he was seen having coffee with a female student from his school, there are many stories here.
Like to hear more of these stories. The reason why I ask this is, if you look all over the world, society expect "Teachers" to behave a certain way, and the expectations may not be reasonable, I mean, they are people, and no saints, though, MOST Teacher, do abide by this expectation, there are definitely ones who steer off course, and we also hear about it in the news, but its rare.

That said, I notice that foreign language teachers who uses their language skills working in a different country (Note that I am not referring to Japan only) appears to be the ones that break this "image", more so than a "regular" teacher, is just because they are in high demand and that why the requirements are more relax?

Do you think that these teachers also have the responsibilities to fulfill these "Society expectation" as well?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-21-2011, 03:34 AM

I've so many crazy stories... and I have complained here and elsewhere about the extent with which I dislike being put in the category of other "teachers" in Japan or elsewhere.

I've opted to stop complaining about this and do something about it. I am currently pursuing my MA in Government (Japanese Culture and Politics), finishing/updating the requirements for my state's teaching certification (it's been five years, so much of what I did needs to be redone), and obtaining my 教員免許 (Japanese teaching license) so I don't have to play the subordinate dancing monkey game with JTE's that don't realise or don't care about my teaching qualifications.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org